• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Learned a valuable lesson

Booseman

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2012
As the title says, I learned a good lesson yesterday. I tried to zero 5 new rifles and scopes, that is way to many. I am not 20 anymore nor do I have those eyes either.

I started with a 300 Win Mag (8 shots), Sig Cross 308 (to many, over 30), AR10 (7 shots), AR10 (9 shots), Back to the Cross after cool down (10 shots), AR15 (11 shots).

Then a buddy asked me to check his 30-30 took one shot with a way to forward scope mount and said no more on that one.

Had a bad spotter as well so that didn't help the issue. Overall I was out there for 2.5 hours and I still don't feel confident in my Cross for deer season opening this Saturday.

I even ripped off a mag (27) of the 9mm PCC that I built. But I just could not focus to zero that one.

• Haha
Reactions: Makinchips208
1668711196098.png

I yeah I shot this thing this one time then shot another but the fist this still can’t hit any snipe. So did I tell you about my snipe hunting trip?

As the title says, I learned a good lesson yesterday. I tried to zero 5 new rifles and scopes, that is way to many. I am not 20 anymore nor do I have those eyes either.

I started with a 300 Win Mag (8 shots), Sig Cross 308 (to many, over 30), AR10 (7 shots), AR10 (9 shots), Back to the Cross after cool down (10 shots), AR15 (11 shots).

Then a buddy asked me to check his 30-30 took one shot with a way to forward scope mount and said no more on that one.

Had a bad spotter as well so that didn't help the issue. Overall I was out there for 2.5 hours and I still don't feel confident in my Cross for deer season opening this Saturday.

I even ripped off a mag (27) of the 9mm PCC that I built. But I just could not focus to zero that one.

If you put over 40 rounds through your Sig Cross and still don't have a good zero, You might have a serious scope or mount problem.
High Magnification scopes fix the old eyes problem to some extent, 25x at 100 yards is usually more than enough to see the holes clearly.

Also you shouldn't have started with the .300WM just saying...

How are you actually doing the sight in?

The good old fashioned pull the bolt, look down the barrel usually gets me a zero in 3 to 5 rounds unless there is a mount or scope problem.

I watched a guy burn two boxes of fancy 30-06 into the berm at 200 yards the other day. He was hearing my impacts at 400 and thinking they where his. For S&G I walked down and talked to him. He said the new rifles shooting great I was hitting steel everytime 😂 He wasn't to happy when I said look two feet below the target, you shot 40 rounds into a group the size of a pie plate.
Deer season is better than most television at the range. The conversations about new guns and whose caliber is better can be pretty special 😉
It still floors me to see a guy shoot a carbon fiber stocked, NF wearing, 300 PRC at a 200 yard target and be delighted with their 6" group.

See an opthomalogist.

• Haha
Reactions: TXAZ and Im2bent
If you put over 40 rounds through your Sig Cross and still don't have a good zero, You might have a serious scope or mount problem.
High Magnification scopes fix the old eyes problem to some extent, 25x at 100 yards is usually more than enough to see the holes clearly.

Also you shouldn't have started with the .300WM just saying...

How are you actually doing the sight in?

The good old fashioned pull the bolt, look down the barrel usually gets me a zero in 3 to 5 rounds unless there is a mount or scope problem.
We were using a shooting bag but the table was so low that I was hunched over bad. I had the scope checked today and rings, they are good. I think it was more me and the shooting position I was in. Going to the indoor range tomorrow with a guy I trust and had a lot more "expertise" than I do.

The other thing that I didn't account for was weather. The temp dropped about 20 degrees from when I started to when I finished and I didn't have proper clothing on. We have an area here where I work that we can shoot out to 200 yards.

If it wasn't so dangerous I'd go to a range just to watch the deer-season-rifle-sighter-iners.
:LOL: Dude, I refuse to go to the range until deer season is over. Aside from the shoot once and walk to the 50 yard line to see where you hit crowd (WTF?!?) even pondering pulling out a Magneto Speed or a Kestrel will have <cough> folks descending upon me like a plague of locusts! I don't know if they think my gear makes a good shooter (they are WRONG! :LOL: ) or what but I can't deal. This is squirrel killin' and dry fire season for me.

I watched a guy burn two boxes of fancy 30-06 into the berm at 200 yards the other day. He was hearing my impacts at 400 and thinking they where his. For S&G I walked down and talked to him. He said the new rifles shooting great I was hitting steel everytime 😂 He wasn't to happy when I said look two feet below the target, you shot 40 rounds into a group the size of a pie plate.
Deer season is better than most television at the range. The conversations about new guns and whose caliber is better can be pretty special 😉
It still floors me to see a guy shoot a carbon fiber stocked, NF wearing, 300 PRC at a 200 yard target and be delighted with their 6" group.
I watched a guy burn through tow boxes of ammo one day, leave and come back with another box and continue to shoot 2 ft over the target. I told him on the first box. He listened toward the end of the third box, got it on the ten inch circle finally at 100y, and probably went and killed a deer with it. Then people here are like, I need a half MOA rifle and ZCO, deer season is coming up. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Edit: Reading around the Hide, I guess 1/4 MOA must be the new half, all day long.

Why did you join in 2012 , and now 10 years later you have 12 posts all in the past 30 days ?

@Booseman
I joined while I was in Afghanistan and actually completely forgot about the account. I just recently got back on here because over the past 8 years I have moved 5 times in 4 states for work. I haven't been that "available" to really shoot. Combined with all that most of my guns have been elsewhere until recently.

I helped at a local sporting goods store with bow repairs and a few other things when I had time. A few years ago a guy came in with a scope and a rifle and asked to have it mounted and bore sighted. He bought a license and a box of 300 win mag for his 300 weatherby. I asked if he had another rifle and he claimed that he always shot these bullets from this rifle. I tried explaining to no avail. It was an hour after dark so I asked him if he was going to hunt in the morning because a bore sight is just going to get it close.
Well I guess close was good enough cuz the next day around noon he was checking in a very nice buck. I asked him if he had the spent case. Sure enough he pulled it from his pocket and showed me. I asked him what happened to the shoulder? It was straight walled to about a quarter inch from the end.
That's why I don't hunt public land during gun seasons. Minute of barn side with God knows what in the chamber.
Granted that this rifle probably hasn't had a box of shells through it but still.

I helped at a local sporting goods store with bow repairs and a few other things when I had time. A few years ago a guy came in with a scope and a rifle and asked to have it mounted and bore sighted. He bought a license and a box of 300 win mag for his 300 weatherby. I asked if he had another rifle and he claimed that he always shot these bullets from this rifle. I tried explaining to no avail. It was an hour after dark so I asked him if he was going to hunt in the morning because a bore sight is just going to get it close.
Well I guess close was good enough cuz the next day around noon he was checking in a very nice buck. I asked him if he had the spent case. Sure enough he pulled it from his pocket and showed me. I asked him what happened to the shoulder? It was straight walled to about a quarter inch from the end.
That's why I don't hunt public land during gun seasons. Minute of barn side with God knows what in the chamber.
Granted that this rifle probably hasn't had a box of shells through it but still.
Now we know what the belt is for.

I got a nice new pocket knife out of helping somone zero a rifle at the range. he couldnt get on paper and burned whole box of ammo. had to zoom out and sent one in the dirt berm for reference he was waaay off.

I joined while I was in Afghanistan and actually completely forgot about the account. I just recently got back on here because over the past 8 years I have moved 5 times in 4 states for work. I haven't been that "available" to really shoot. Combined with all that most of my guns have been elsewhere until recently.
Welcome back. Sorry you picked this place for camaraderie. You’re a saint for sighting in other peoples’ rifles. I do it sometimes at deer camp and some of the setups are really beyond belief. They all weigh 6 lbs with a composite stock, have an NC Star scope, an 8 lb trigger, and 180g powershok ammo. I start them all at 25 yards bc most of the guys seem to drop them off Mt. Rushmore before showing up.

Awkward.jpg

I watched a guy burn through tow boxes of ammo one day, leave and come back with another box and continue to shoot 2 ft over the target. I told him on the first box. He listened toward the end of the third box, got it on the ten inch circle finally at 100y, and probably went and killed a deer with it. Then people here are like, I need a half MOA rifle and ZCO, deer season is coming up. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Edit: Reading around the Hide, I guess 1/4 MOA must be the new half, all day long.
1/4? pssssh 1/2 Minute clicks is the shiznet in South Afrika where the REAL dangerous games are.

• Haha
Reactions: Makinchips208
If it wasn't so dangerous I'd go to a range just to watch the deer-season-rifle-sighter-iners.
If your feeling suicidal then there is a public range in (owls hollow) Gadsden , Alabama .
It is the superbowl of Fuddery .
Starts a couple weeks before deer season. They show up and get zeroed in at minute of pie plate , and then they show up a week after season starts trying to figure out why they missed a deer !
I havnt been there in years but I guarantee nothing has changed.

Reactions: nikonNUT
If your feeling suicidal then there is a public range in (owls hollow) Gadsden , Alabama .
It is the superbowl of Fuddery .
Starts a couple weeks before deer season. They show up and get zeroed in at minute of pie plate , and then they show up a week after season starts trying to figure out why they missed a deer !
I havnt been there in years but I guarantee nothing has changed.
Several yrs ago I was at a range just before season. There was about a 400 lb'er putting about a 16" pattern on paper at 50 yds. He had a really tall bipod extended all the way and sitting strait up with the bench stuck between fat rolls. It was a sight! He waddled away with the look of pride on his fat face.

Reactions: forrestgump01
Several yrs ago I was at a range just before season. There was about a 400 lb'er putting about a 16" pattern on paper at 50 yds. He had a really tall bipod extended all the way and sitting strait up with the bench stuck between fat rolls. It was a sight! He waddled away with the look of pride on his fat face.
I was at an indoor range about 20 years ago, minding my business, and sighting a rifle in for the season. I put a group on the target about 3” high at 100 yards, said “looks good” and retrieved my target. As I was finishing up, a pair (couple?) of old Fudds in the next lane said “how’d you shoot?”

Fine. Put a group right where I wanted it.

“Lemme see your target.”

O… K…

“You didn’t even hit the bullseye.”

I know, but (trajectory explanation…)

“Looky here.”

Shows me a target with about 30 holes in it, randomly dispersed, in a basketball sized group. But, sure enough, right in the middle is one bullet hole that caught the center.

They sure were proud about showing that dumb kid how well they could shoot.

• Haha
Reactions: nikonNUT and BurtG
Our military trains people who after years of service, are incapable of sighting in a rifle?
Never said I couldn't sight in a rifle. The whole point was that by the time I shot several rifles I (me) was wore out and my shooting mechanics were not the greatest.

I took the rifle to the range this morning and confirmed that I was on. I will get some pics and post.

First group is @100yd w/168gr match king

Second group is @100yds w/168gr match king

target1].jpg

Attachments

• target2.jpg
    target2.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 26
looks like you need to come up 1/2 moa and left 1/2 moa..

My dad wanted me to sight in his jungle carbine one Saturday. After 7 or 8 rounds I had it real close but I'd flinch so bad after that I couldn't get anything on paper anymore. He just laughed and said that's why he wanted me to sight it in and not him. That was probably 20-30 years ago and I still make ugly faces at that rifle.

• Haha
Reactions: Booseman

6" at 200? That's more like an iron sighted 30-30 thing.

I was unhappy about a 2" horizontal group at 300 yds with a switchy 1-3:00 8mph wind today.

I did make up for it with a really nice 100yd .2 group right after that.

The fucked up part is the mirage was showing a .7 wind hold at 800, but the reality was .2.
Oh well...
I still got to go shooting with Torsten.

Reactions: BurtG