• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Learning the ropes

rawdeal77

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2011
Dallas & Lubbock, Tx
I'm about to start reloading ammo for the first time, and I want to make sure I don't kill myself.

Okay, so I've read several books on the subject and watched countless YouTube videos on how to use the various equipment; however, I've never actually seen someone reload ammo or walk me through it in a "hands on" experience.

Should the research be enough, or should I try to find someone to show me th ropes?

Re: Learning the ropes

Find someone to show you the ropes,preferably someone with many years of experience. It will greatly enhance the learning curve.

Reputable manuals should be enough. Read the stickies up at the top of this forum. Ask specific questions here if need be. Finding someone with experience to show you the ropes would be nice but its not a requirement. Some gunshops bring in experts for classes. Read and understand the directions for all your equipment. Start down around minimum listed loads, understand what your looking for as far as pressure signs. Its not horribly complicated but don't take short cuts or make assumptions.

Rawdeal, welcome to the 'Hide.

Your profile is blank, ergo, none of us know if you are local, to offer 'first hand assistance'.

While it 'could' be possible to read/study up on each individual process for reloading, I would say that isn't exactly prudent.

Mostly because, you then should also be studying up on what is/can be wrong with the process and the outcome. You can make some fantastic ammunition that works perfectly. At the same time, how will you know that you aren't?

An hour spent with someone who knows what they're doing, would get you miles ahead. This field ain't all that hard. Not at all. But at the same time, it is NOT FORGIVING.

IE: Too much powder can be dangerous. You get that, right? But did you know that too little powder can be even more dangerous? Just an example. (search for the 'why')

If you follow a manual and use the loads in them and have any sense at all you will be just fine. Basic reloading is really pretty easy. Tuning a load and watching for pressur is a bit more difficult but again start with some basic stuff, continue to read and learn and you will be fine.

If you know how to use a scale- and you don't have the "unsafe for others is safe for me- because nothing will happen to me" mindset- you'll be fine. Just remember when developing a new load- ALWAYS ALWAYS follow the 10% rule- and watch for pressure signs. Make sure you have a good micrometer- because if you seat a bullet too deep- you'll build pressure exponentially.

However if you build your ammo to the reloading specs- Between the minimum and maximum loads for your bullet weight- you'll be absolutely fine.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm in dfw for 1 more week then back to Lubbock for school.

Also someone was asking if I was aware of the dangers of "under loading" a round, and yes, I'm aware that such can result in bullet trapped inside the barrel which is a time-bomb if the shooter is unaware.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Find someone to show you the ropes,preferably someone with many years of experience. It will greatly enhance the learning curve. </div></div>

THIS...^^