• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Least expensive AI

patriot07

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2017
Dallas
Dumb question - what is the cheapest model of AI to get a 6.5 CM - new or used. And what are the disadvantages compared to more expensive models? Have played around with a couple, but don't know much about the different models.

Mile high has 4 late 90’s AW folders for $2k on gunbroker right now. Look like department guns as they’re all painted the same. That’s where I’d go. AW’s are my personal favorite. Have mile high screw on a 6.5cm barrel before they ship it to you. Under 3k to your door. Those were roughly $6k less than 10 years ago.

Last edited:
I’m in
Mile high has 4 late 90’s AW folders for $2k on gunbroker right now. Look like department guns as they’re all painted the same. That’s where I’d go. AW’s are my personal favorite. Have mile high screw on a 6.5cm barrel before they ship it to you. Under 3k to your door. Those were roughly $6k less than 10 years ago.
im interested to see how high the bids get. Gems.

New would be an AT. Like the guys said above buy a used AI and have someone spin a 6.5cm barrel on it and that would be the most affordable route. I have an AW 308 that I'm thinking about getting a 6.5 barrel put on. I've played with an AXMC, AX and my AW and the biggest difference is the chassis(obviously). I do however prefer the trigger on my AW. The actions are all the same except I think they use 6 lug bolts now. My AW is a 3 lug. Either way they are all great guns.

Link on this?

What’s your budget?

IMO, the absolute best value AI (all things and features considered) would be a used non folding AT.

Should be in the $3-3500 area depending on large or small firing pin.

Reactions: kRcu
Link on this?

Go to gunbroker and search “AW.” They are the camo ones. You can then click on mile high’s other sales.

They are all in the $22-2500 range now. Unless you really want an AW, might as well look for a used AT for not but so much more.

Last edited:
AI rifles are very nice, not what I shoot but very cool. They are accurate, and the barrel changing on them is stupid easy. They also will run in the worst of conditions. I had a buddy hit the bolt release by accident o a barricade stage, drop his bolt in the mud, put it back in and keep rolling.

The AXMC is what i'd be looking at if i was going to be buying one and they are in the ballpark of 7,000 or so. The AIAT is also nice, but has a more traditional type AI chassis.

The nice thing is the ability to change calibers and order barrels off the shelf from a few places. Check out mile high shooting or euro optic to see what all is out there.

Yeah the AT definitely seems to be the best value in the low 3's, just a few hundred over an AE. If anyone has a used AT or AE they want to part with, I'm interested!. The AX's seem silly overpriced to me.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm not in the market right now - just curious and gathering information for possible long-term plans.

I think you’ll like find the consensus (mostly) is:

Used AE or AW at a great price = cheapest

Used AT at good price = most for your money

New/Used AXMC = if you need long action

Last edited:
I think you’ll like find the consensus (mostly) is:

Used AE or AW at a great price = cheapest

Used AT at good price = most for your money

New/Used AXMC = if you need long action
Great summary. Given the minimal price difference, I think I’d be most likely to go AT. Thanks!

Great summary. Given the minimal price difference, I think I’d be most likely to go AT. Thanks!

Some people don’t want or require it, but I love the quick barrel change. I use 6creed for matches and .308 for training.

And I never clean with a barrel on anymore which is also awesome.

So that's the big difference between AW/AE and AT, is the barrel change? Personally, I'd probably never use it.

Is there any difference on the action/trigger other than long action on AXMC?

AT is also bonded as well as bolted

If I remember correctly the AE and AW are not bonded.

The bolt is slightly different and upgraded on the AT.

AT and AX are virtually the same gun. Different chassis and such. MC is very similar. Main difference is long action.

Reactions: patriot07
The AW is a flat bottomed action that is bolted and bonded, like the AT/AX etc. They also use the same double stack magazines. The AE’s use a round action with a recoil lug, and are bolted. Mk1’s used a proprietary single stack 5 rd mag, and mk2/mk3 uses AICS mags. Triggers are all the same, except the mk1 AE’s need to be disassembled to remove the trigger, whereas the mk2/mk3 and everything else just drops down from the chassis.

Reactions: patriot07