• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Least expensive AR you’d trust your life to?

300zx_tt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2021
South East Pennsylvania
Was talking guns with one of my sub contractors today. He was talking about “battle rifles” he’d trust his life to. He named a few of the typical upper echelon rifles like Knight’s, LMT, hodge, Radian (pretty sure he just googled “best AR”) etc… I get only wanting the absolute best, we all want the best but dropping $2,500-3,000 isn't in the cards for some people. My Brother in Law for example has been wanting an AR that won’t break the bank for his go bag/shtf rifle.

At this point he’s said he’s better off spending $1,000 bucks on a rifle and buying a bunch of ammo to go train with. (I agree 100% with that, a $3k rifle is only as good as the guy running it)

I don’t have a ton of experience with semi autos so I figured I’d ask here. Any body have recommendations for stuff in the $1000-$1200 range? Is that a realistic budget to get a decent rifle in today’s world?
I have a few PSA builds that work and work well, but I’m not sure I’d want to run them as a shtf gun. I liked my BCM but I sold it to fund another project before I could really put a ton of rounds through it. Like I said earlier I’m not real into semi auto’s so I dont know where to start with a recommendation.

It's not so much the AR as it is certain components.

A teeny little part like an extractor that wasn't heat treated properly can stop a gun in it's tracks.

It also depends on what situation you want to prepare for. Odds are you don't have a machine gun or full auto lower so that automatically changes the dynamic for barrels and a few other things.

There is no simple yes/no answer. Certain components and how they are put together matters. If your trigger pins walk out, that's not good. If your gas block comes loose and slides up the barrel, that's not good either.

Again it's not always a "what" but rather a "how".

Use the shit you got. You should have bought it with the intention of "this is the most I can afford at the time, to defend my life with".

What ever is a factory assembled rifle with good qc or a great warranty, I would think is best.

Radian, Geissele, Bcm, Colt, Aero, KAC, there are tons that are proven. Buy the best researched one in your budget bracket.
Shoot it until it proves unworthy, fix or upgrade as budget allows.

I’d trust anything I built,or inspected and repaired/ replaced and spent some time with in practice and competition.
Not saying I’m the best builder in the world, but it ain’t rocket science there’s specs and standards.
Buy a psa or smith or Springfield or a pawnshop special and run it till it breaks then adjust. You’ll know by then what you need in parts. Or build one.

If you're just looking for off the shelf, I like BCM. It's a little over the $1200 mark, but maybe it's "worth it" for the extra peace of mind. You can sometimes find them around $1200-1300 if you go with the plastic handguard. Also, you can get an FN with a button rifled barrel (not the "clone" rifles, but the "tac" rifles) for $1100-1300. Might be worth looking into.

B28DC475-422D-4988-973F-3253299CFD7A.gif

bravo company if you can't spend more than $1500.

i tend to believe most people just say whatever they have, because why wouldn't they if they thought it was the answer to the question?
i don't have a bcm,, but i would just cancel a trip to disneyland with the family and buy a scar 16s instead anyway.

I appreciate all the replies, I’ll relay some of the info in this thread to him. I’ve mentioned that the super duty rifles can be found used for $1300-$1500 locally but he seemed hesitant to spend the extra couple hundred bucks. He’s just being cheap at this point.

If it were me in his situation I’d do what most others here do, buy the absolute best I can afford. I know about the upper end guns/platforms a little bit more, just from info on here, but other than a few psa builds I have to bring to the range mostly for others to shoot, I don’t know if there are any $1000-$1200 rifles that are worth the money.

Was talking guns with one of my sub contractors today. He was talking about “battle rifles” he’d trust his life to. He named a few of the typical upper echelon rifles like Knight’s, LMT, hodge, Radian (pretty sure he just googled “best AR”) etc… I get only wanting the absolute best, we all want the best but dropping $2,500-3,000 isn't in the cards for some people. My Brother in Law for example has been wanting an AR that won’t break the bank for his go bag/shtf rifle.

At this point he’s said he’s better off spending $1,000 bucks on a rifle and buying a bunch of ammo to go train with. (I agree 100% with that, a $3k rifle is only as good as the guy running it)

I don’t have a ton of experience with semi autos so I figured I’d ask here. Any body have recommendations for stuff in the $1000-$1200 range? Is that a realistic budget to get a decent rifle in today’s world?
I have a few PSA builds that work and work well, but I’m not sure I’d want to run them as a shtf gun. I liked my BCM but I sold it to fund another project before I could really put a ton of rounds through it. Like I said earlier I’m not real into semi auto’s so I dont know where to start with a recommendation.
In this market anymore you’re going to get what you pay for just about with all of them. I’ve got a $450 bushmaster I’ve put 3,000+ rounds through and I’ve got a custom build .223 wylde that was five times the amount with roughly the same amount. Both of them have done the job I’ve asked them to do. Granted, the custom obviously has better grouping down the range, but the bushmaster would be fine if it’s the only thing I could get my hands on out the door.

Reactions: homejames
I built one a while back with a HM defense upper and semi Gucci everything else that I'm very pleased with. It's never had any issues firing anything and it just runs. Decent accuracy and POF trigger. Not sure what I have in it but probably 1600 ish maybe? HM design seems to be a good one for durability. I've not seen anyone claim any issues with their stuff.

I appreciate all the replies, I’ll relay some of the info in this thread to him. I’ve mentioned that the super duty rifles can be found used for $1300-$1500 locally but he seemed hesitant to spend the extra couple hundred bucks. He’s just being cheap at this point.

If it were me in his situation I’d do what most others here do, buy the absolute best I can afford. I know about the upper end guns/platforms a little bit more, just from info on here, but other than a few psa builds I have to bring to the range mostly for others to shoot, I don’t know if there are any $1000-$1200 rifles that are worth the money.
It's one of those things where the perceived value is dictated by the intended use.

To him, it seems as if he assumes that the more expensive stuff costs more because is performs in ways he doesn't value.

It's his money after all... and his life.

Lol he’s out of touch for sure. For a no BS rifle, it should have a good weapon light, sling, and optic. He’s going to be well over that by the time it’s done, if done right.

He sounds a lot like people I know. The ones who claim they want something and either too cheap to buy it, or they throw money away on Amazon and bars claiming they can’t afford it.

The more expensive stuff is better because the people who sell it say it is! You're paying for the name! :D

I say that facetiously, because we know the reality is that isn't entirely true or entirely false.
The heart of the question is where is that dividing line drawn brand to brand. You could reply "even if it's over priced, buy the best and at least you know it's not junk." Yeah I guess. It's a good theoretical answer.

"Buy the best one you can afford!" Okay, what's that mean? The $60 in your wallet? The $15k available on your Visa? lol Again, reality is somewhere in between, but where.

Fun stuff these internet questions.

Last edited:
When my friends ask this same question I reccomend rock river arms. All have been happy and issue free. The reality is that most people will never put 500 rounds through a gun let alone thousands. Pretty much any name brand gun will achieve this.

I have friends with Colt, S&W, and Springfield and have competed with guys running others. All operate and go bang. I thing the big difference is going to be longevity and accuracy. And depending on the name you are paying a significant price penalty for the name.

I would just avoid the gun show specials and no name stuff. Find one that you like the accessories on go shoot.

I've walked through this type of request so many times........the one thing most of these people have in common is that they ignore the suggestions and get the cheapest shit when they're ready to buy.

This doesn't just happen with guns -- it's with everything.

People have different priorities and definitions of 'wasting money.' Most seem to prefer repeatedly overpaying for the cheapest option, when a 10% bump in budget would land them something miles better.

I have a frakenbuild that I have had since '06 that has been utterly reliable, I don't know how many rounds I have through it but it's a lot. I'm sure the barrel is going to need to be replaced very soon now but I don't shoot it much these days. It's RRA SS 1/8 HBAR upper with a Troy MRF battle rail on a Double Star lower that I built up. I have run it suppressed, hot and dirty. It's never failed, even with early 2000's production Wolf steel cased stuff. I used it on patrol until my agency started buying rifles for us.

Large frame, it's Armalite for me and then I would go with LMT or a build with me choosing the best parts...

Reactions: banzi and 300zx_tt
I’ve ran my Springfield Saint hard, I mean I’ve tried to get it to fail with various triggers and ammo. I’m real happy with it.
I have plinking ammo thrown in ammo cans that consist of cheap factory ammo to various powders that I reload. It eats it all.

You can get a decent Ruger, S&W, Springfield or Sig for the budget range he wants to be in.
Plus plenty of others.
The used market is pretty soft right now and you can probably find a deal on something higher end in excellent condition as well.

Clean it well, check it out properly, lube it correctly and run several hundred rounds through it and then clean, inspect and lube and you'll be all good.

For that price range you could also build your own and have a pretty good spec as well.

Now that being said, as others have pointed out:

Optic?
Sling?
Magazines?
Ammunition?
Case & cleaning supplies ?

Easily could cost as much or more than an entry level AR so does he have an idea of total budget?
No point getting the AR if he won't get the above accessories (if he doesn't want an optic, not a problem, but not having one is going to make his AR a lot less useful to him).

I think the mission parameters dictate the best answer.
TEOTWAWKI rifle is different than the rifle that always goes bang in an emergency.
IMO

I've walked through this type of request so many times........the one thing most of these people have in common is that they ignore the suggestions and get the cheapest shit when they're ready to buy.

This doesn't just happen with guns -- it's with everything.

People have different priorities and definitions of 'wasting money.' Most seem to prefer repeatedly overpaying for the cheapest option, when a 10% bump in budget would land them something miles better.
No truer words have ever been spoken. That’s typically what happens regardless of recommendations. That’s why I hate when people ask me shit like this unless they’re already into shooting, have a few firearms and want to step up a little.
I’ll be the first person to admit I don’t know what the best $1200 AR is. That’s not really my thing, but I’ll research it for him like I’d research it for myself because he’s family.

I should just give him one of my PSA builds and use this as an excuse to upgrade 🤣

Looking at military and LE spending on AR15's...it turns out that most people right now going into harms way DO trust their lives to the following:
Colt
FN
SW MP15.

If it were my money and I had to spend $1500 on an AR it would be a G Super Duty when they are on sale.

You can get a decent Ruger, S&W, Springfield or Sig for the budget range he wants to be in.
Plus plenty of others.
The used market is pretty soft right now and you can probably find a deal on something higher end in excellent condition as well.

Clean it well, check it out properly, lube it correctly and run several hundred rounds through it and then clean, inspect and lube and you'll be all good.

For that price range you could also build your own and have a pretty good spec as well.

Now that being said, as others have pointed out:

Optic?
Sling?
Magazines?
Ammunition?
Case & cleaning supplies ?

Easily could cost as much or more than an entry level AR so does he have an idea of total budget?
No point getting the AR if he won't get the above accessories (if he doesn't want an optic, not a problem, but not having one is going to make his AR a lot less useful to him).
that’s the other side of his argument, he’ll drop another $1k on gear and he doesn’t want to be 3-4K deep.

I’ve shown him a few optic options, trying to push him into a comp m4 or similar from Aimpoint. I’d sell him 1000 rounds out of my stash cheap just to get him out to the range and shooting. Mags I have a bunch of lancer mags I like, some pmags I have are shit, others feed flawless. I have a decent system for mags, I bring a silver sharpie and if I have an issue with a mag it gets a sharpie mark. 3 marks and it’s gone.

Not sure about a sling, any recommendations?

Reactions: JohnCarter17
Looking at military and LE spending on AR15's...it turns out that most people right now going into harms way DO trust their lives to the following:
Colt
FN
SW MP15.

If it were my money and I had to spend $1500 on an AR it would be a G Super Duty when they are on sale.
I’ll take a look at some colts and fn’s

Thanks

Reactions: Zemplar

So your buddy isn’t convinced his life is worth more than $1200? Lol.

Ferro Concepts Slingster.

For a few years I trusted my life to a lowest bidder rifle made by "The Hydro-matic Division of GM Corp".

You DON'T need a gucci rifle to protect yourself and kill bad guys. Something even the operationally, operating operators going in harms way every day will attest to. Yet on here it seems like the consensus is that if you aren't spending $3K on a rifle you will simply die.

I have several rifles from PSA that have been flawless and while not sub-moa, they have been more then accurate enough to trust my life to. As I don't expect them to print one-hole, 5-shot groups on paper targets, they just need to reliably hit a mansized target out to 500ish yards.

A Ruger, S&W, Areo or even PSA will suffice for WELL under $1K.

Heck I got THREE weapons from PSA for $1500. Survival mantra is, one is none and two is one.

$15 and made in America. I own around 10 of them.

It’s not 1992 anymore.

Cheap ARs have come a long way.

A $1k AR with $1k for an optic, light and sling and another $1k in ammo is always going to leave you better off than a $3k rifle.

Aero, duty rds, decent mount, streamlight and sling. It won’t hold you back unless you’re the boogeyman and you kick in doors for a living.

How so? They’d be one in the same for me.

Not being a dick, legitimately interested in your thoughts.
I have inexpensive but reliable ARs at the ranch in the trucks at the office at my house in town relatives houses etc.
I would trust any if I needed to grab it to defend myself.
But if I am going to be dragging it through unknown terrain with years of no support lots of dirt bad ammo and no replacement parts I will want the very best.
Everything changes when the supply chain disappears.
I had more issues with my issued Colt M16 than any of my cheap builds with quality parts.
I guess if I was rich I would replace them all with 20 identical FNs or better.
Just my thoughts.
My living in dry high elevation big sky country.
Has modified my opinions from when I lived in east Texas.
I just don't seem to have malfunctions like I did back then.

I would say that a good palmetto is absolutely sufficient. Just run a few hundred rounds through it to make sure it is good to go.

If palmetto associates you too much with the poors, a good complete lower topped with a BCM upper is good. Just make sure to switch the cheap carbine buffer out with the appropriate weight heavy buffer.

The Rugger SR-556. I have put over 2000 rounds over the last 8 years and never had a jam with factory or hand loads. So I'll take the SR-556 if I had too.

Reactions: JS8588
When my friends ask this same question I reccomend rock river arms.

I've owned them in the past and been happy, but who knows what that means. You see that with everything online. "Buy a Stihl chainsaw, I bought mine in 1977 and it still runs great." Not really relevant to what they make now is it? I remember when I would never have bought a Colt AR, and when I would, and when I wouldn't again. Same for Bushmaster. I would never have bought a DPMS, but in all honesty I've had several rifles with many of their parts in them and never an issue.

I was thinking for myself, if I were starting from scratch with limited funds, knowing what I know, I'd probably buy a cheap rifle, then swap in a good bolt/carrier and a good trigger. Then deal with any other little issues as they came about.

But my AR's have all the "don't's", and horrible things that will clearly get you killed, like completely unstaked gas keys, unstaked castle nuts and barrel nuts that are only hand tight. ;)

Nothing exposes the gremlins in a rifle like putting it on the clock in a competition. Regardless of what you choose, run a few hundred rounds through it in an induced stress stiuation- competition. A rifle rarely takes a dump at the bench...