• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Leather belt machine guys......listen up!

hero's machine

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2011
E. WA
I bought a heavy 10 last year on a whim and it was a leather drive. It always slipped. I decided to see about going to rubberbut not too interested in tearing it down for the installation.

I bought a new serpentine belt that was 15/16"×68" and cut it in half. I fished it through and marked the overlap. About 2 minutes on my belt sander had matching but opposite tapers ground into the belt. I placed a ziploc over the ends to help keep contamination off and fished it back through. The overlapping ends were glued together using e6000 adhesive. This is GOOD stuff for rubber repairs with many snowmobile tracks being repaired with it, I felt comfortable.

I let it sit for a day in my cold shop clamped up with micro spring clamps. When I pulled them it felt dry so I gave it a go. NO slip. No noise. No vibration.

Thought someone might appreciate the info.

Got any pictures of your South Bend lathe?
I don't have the space but a lathe (and small milling machine) at my home is one of my dreams.

I installed a serpentine on mine(9/10 jr) from the get go. I took it all the way down to referb everything any way and when I went back I ditched the leather. Thing runs much smoother as well.

I did this on the my old machines before getting a gear head unit. Made a world of difference on my 10x24 Logan and my huge 15x60 southbend

A friend uses a flat fan belt from a car cuts to the right length then laces the ends together .

I didn't use anything other than the e6000 and it's super flexible with stupid bonding power. I glued the drop pieces together and tried to peel them apart. ...no way. It might as well be vulcanized.

I can't remember the MFG , but our high school shop lathe was a leather drive. The teacher told us the machine was off of a WWII ship . I hope his story was true, just for veteran machine "points".

The last leather belt I put on my SB has lasted 11 years and still going strong. When my spare runs out in say 2030... I'll do this.

I all seriousness, interesting approach and I can see the value!

Cheers, Sirhr

I think the main reason is the slapping noise the belt makes . My friend has his in the basement so stealth mode is important running the late night jobs

Sir,
where did you find the adhesive? and whats the name of it?

Thanks,
Bill

After f-ing with 2 serpentine belts and E6000 I ordered a real belt from Al Bino at Flat Drive Belts.com. Sent him measurements and he sent back a similar rubber belt that was already cut and ready for glue. He sent along a 2 part glue that worked awesome. Way better than E6000. It was only about $40 total and way easier to install. Will never pay for a serpentine belt again. It only saves a couple bucks in the long run and is way easier.

Also E6000 is available in the arts and crafts section of Walmart. Each serpentine belt lasted about 6 months of light use for me. YMMV.