• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leather sewing thread and leather work

Makinchips208

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2021
Idaho
Post your pics or projects or project ideas we can try. Maybe moccasins, wallets, sheaths, etc?
Or stories related to these or leather projects?

Singer leather sewing machine. Model 29K60, serial #ED847866, looks like mfg in July 1946.
I was given this thing and told “I know you can figure it out and get some use out of it.” 😎 So I need to order a manual for it, clean it up and oiled, get some leather, and turn the kids loose with it.

Complete and works, has the treadle base, a motor and clutch type attachment, and a box of parts needles and thread.

499E9070-77B6-4B87-90AF-88ED1CB1025A.jpeg
A0CB7A9C-EE42-4F78-9F3A-32A2E4AFE4E5.jpeg

Post your pics or projects or project ideas we can try. Maybe moccasins, wallets, sheaths, etc?

Singer leather sewing machine. Model 29K60, serial #ED847866, looks like mfg in July 1946.
I was given this thing and told “I know you can figure it out and get some use out of it.” 😎 So I need to order a manual for it, clean it up and oiled, get some leather, and turn the kids loose with it.

Complete and works, has the treadle base, a motor and clutch type attachment, and a box of parts needles and thread.

View attachment 8177598View attachment 8177599
Patching machine, they are good little machines. You can do a lot with one, I prefer a foot tread on these machines.

Reactions: Makinchips208
I have a singer. It’s my master bath vanity now. The actual machine is on display elsewhere in the house. My dad has several of these old foot pedal machines that have been in the family forever. I used the worst condition one we had to make this.
IMG_1171.jpeg
52583119964__10D26928-6D1D-42C2-BD1F-EC9AFD59AADD.jpeg

View attachment 8177598View attachment 8177599

model #29's are ' Patchers ' . they are worth their weight for Repair, or reaching into an area for stitching that you can't do on the regular flat bed, post bed, or larger cylinder arm machines . It's design really not for a production machine with doing long runs of stitching . reaching into Shoe/boot repair and other items is where it shines doing both Leather and Textile .
The model #29's small slender cylinder arm, with small Bobbin assembly, and small Bobbins don't hold much thread . But it small for reason and that makes easier to reach into small area's for repair .
It easy handle #69/text 70 thread , probably maybe ? set tension, needle and bobbins for #138 thread size . Easy to time the machine to use common 135x16 / 17 needles .

Last edited:
model #29's are ' Patchers ' . they are worth their weight for Repair, or reaching into an area for stitching that you can't do on the regular flat bed, post bed, or larger cylinder arm machines . It's design really not for a production machine with doing long runs of stitching . reaching into Shoe/boot repair and other items is where it shines doing both Leather and Textile .
The model #29's small slender cylinder arm, with small Bobbin assembly, and small Bobbins don't hold much thread . But it small for reason and that makes easier to reach into small area's for repair .
It easy handle #69/text 70 thread , probably set tension, needle and bobbins for #138 thread size . Easy to time the machine to use common 135x16 / 17 needles .

You and my mom could talk for hours.

Reactions: softcock
It easy handle #69/text 70 thread , probably set tension, needle and bobbins for #138 thread size . Easy to time the machine to use common 135x16 / 17 needles .
Ah I see what yer saying, it is a small bobbin. Thanks for the info!

Started our leather business with a 29K. Worked it for a while, upgraded to a Ferdco 440 for a couple years, then the right deal came up on a Cobra class 4. Bags, belts, wallets, holsters…… you’ll find it’s undersized for thicker veg-tan but will work fine with 4-5 oz chrome/oil tan. …. As long as you can get the timing of the machine right. PM if you want some scraps to try out

I keep an old 29-4 in the corner. it is at least 107 year old machine that I went through, rebuilt several years ago . Also sand blasted and industrial powder coated the Treadle, with paint/gold leaf the Singer Manufacturing Co. emblems . I put the Treadle on Caster wheels so I can wheel it out and use for repair or a stitch tack when needed.
The 29's are one of those Machines that are not used that much... BUT when you need to use, , YOU REALLY Need It .
-

29-4.jpg

-

My wife learned to sew on a treadle powered machine.
Not that she is THAT old, but they used them in the Philippines due to the constant power outages.

Reactions: camocorvette
Half the worlds sewn together with needle and thread ...LOL .. I can go on for hours boring talk about stitching machines .

Mom made virtually all her clothes and some for my brother and me. She retired from a furniture factory. She made all the covers for anything new that was going to be shown or used for catalog shoots. New employees spent a couple weeks with her. At the end of that time, she told her boss to keep them or not.

Reactions: camocorvette
Mom made virtually all her clothes and some for my brother and me. She retired from a furniture factory. She made all the covers for anything new that was going to be shown or used for catalog shoots. New employees spent a couple weeks with her. At the end of that time, she told her boss to keep them or not.
Sewing/cut/pattern Upholstery of any kind like Auto, furniture ..etc. is still a solid Trade. It one of those skilled labor/trade disciplines that will never go away, always keep a little custom shop and a few people busy . Unless you start sewing.you never really see/notice that there is a shitload of little shops tucked away all over the county that do noting but Upholstery.

Reactions: EddieNFL and lash
I would think leather thread would be better hand sown that done with any machine still nice looking old machine .
you could have the kids bang out beats on a drum while the wife chants and yells all while you sow

make a day out of working with the whole family .

• Haha
Reactions: Makinchips208
I would think leather thread would be better hand sown that done with any machine still nice looking old machine .
you could have the kids bang out beats on a drum while the wife chants and yells all while you sow

make a day out of working with the whole family .

Huh? Leather machine sewing is how most all leather goods are produced. With possible the exception of hand crafted homemade stuff like I make for myself or when I do repairs.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Hand stitching is for the birds. That machine will work for more than it’s designed for. Wish I still had mine about 5 times a year.

• Haha
Reactions: acudaowner
I got one of those Cheap Chinese leather machines. I think it was $115 on Amazon. The learning curve was pretty steep and it took a lot of research to get it timed and working properly but I’ve been getting decent results with it. *Don't look at the rough edges or the jacked up attempt at stamping patterns--just look at the stitching. :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• IMG_0749.jpeg
    IMG_0749.jpeg
    608.7 KB · Views: 70
  • belt raw.jpg
    belt raw.jpg
    643.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I got one of those Cheap Chinese leather machines. I think it was $115 on Amazon. The learning curve was pretty steep and it took a lot of research to get it timed and working properly but I’ve been getting decent results with it.
Yeah! That’s awesome! My Blackhawk is crying for a holster and belt

Thanks.

Edit: not having much more than repair or crafty interest in leather, I never looked into it much. Now, your mention of horsehide and Horween had me doing some quick research. Interesting stuff. Just found out that Kangaroo leather is the toughest leather, ounce for ounce.

Last edited:
While I haven’t got much done with the machine yet, I tested it and it seems to sew nicely. Working on a place to get it set up.

However, I had the privilege of meeting @JJMoody and visiting his shop. Nice guy and showed me more than I could comprehend in one visit. And I bought a nice belt from him since mine was wore out.
Fantastic work from “Panhandle Red”

E0EA6559-0342-4A2F-8F76-B2E6A1DF9BB2.jpeg

E6FE36F4-728F-47A4-B710-596C11FB0BCD.jpeg

While I haven’t got much done with the machine yet, I tested it and it seems to sew nicely. Working on a place to get it set up.

However, I had the privilege of meeting @JJMoody and visiting his shop. Nice guy and showed me more than I could comprehend in one visit. And I bought a nice belt from him since mine was wore out.
Fantastic work from “Panhandle Red”

View attachment 8294993

View attachment 8294994
Was awesome to have you and mrs. makinchips208 stop by and see what we have goin on here! Surprised you’d still associate publicly with me after knowing a few of the people I used to hang out around ….

I’m not real good about taking pics of stuff, but finished up the messenger bag last night, couple holsters today and a few from last week- along with a pretty cool meat cleaver sheath.

I 'really' like that Bag with the distressed leather look. That looks like a nice pattern you worked-up for that . Did you also line it with anything ?

I 'really' like that Bag with the distressed leather look. That looks like a nice pattern you worked-up for that . Did you also line it with anything ?
I’ve messed with the liners on a few bags, but really don’t like them. I typically use 5oz ish leathers on bags and the additional weight added coupled with the differing wear characteristics between quality leather and just about anything else made me just eliminate the liners altogether. First time I did one on a duffel bag, it doubled the labor, weight etc and made it kinda clumsy, for lack of a better term. For pockets, etc… I’l build them with the same bag leather and either stitch or rivet them in. The messenger bag has inside pockets as does the duffel. Here’s one I finished up last week
IMG_6752.jpeg