• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes leatherwood art scopes

blacklable

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2009
michigan
im lookin into a decent scope for my ptr-91 and im on a limited budget of about $500 dollars. I dont know anything on these scopes so anything would be appreciated.
thanks in advance
-mike

Re: leatherwood art scopes

In a word: don't.

The Leatherwood ART scopes are neat and add a touch of nostalga to an M14 or M1A rifle. I have one on my M1A and it's definitely a cool old piece of kit, but it never comes out of the safe.

For real precision shooting, an ART is just too complex and cams are prone to wear; the bases and adjustors have too many moving parts and too much complexity. They are likely to "Walk" rounds around the paper. An ART will likely drive you nuts on the range!

That said, there are people (probably some here on the forum) who can really make them work well. And it is definitely possible to use them very successfully with a lot of skill and practice and careful attention to detail at setup. There is nothing *wrong* with the design or the theory of an ART. But you have to be something of a master to make one work to its potential. And if you want to go through the learning curve, you will probably get good results.

For your budget, there are many scopes out there that will give you excellent results and much better repeatability, better glass, reticles, etc.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Re: leatherwood art scopes

I have one that I run on an AR and like it for it's purpose.

By no means should it be used as a precision optic.
Trying to find a cam setting that is perfect will get you very frustrated very quickly.
The best I have been able to get mine with 69gr SMK is:
2 in high @ 100 yards
0 @ 200 yards
0 @ 300 yards
4 in low @ 400 yards
6 in high @ 500 yards

The plus side is that it adds intermidiate range capability to my AR in a matter of seconds.
(I run a Trijicon Tri-Power as my primary optic and have had excellent results just swaping optics in the field when needed.)