• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leatherwood/Hi-Lux Camputer M-1000

henschman

Private
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
Howdy! I am considering getting a Leatherwood Camputer M-1000 2.5-10x44 for a Savage 111 .300 Win Mag, and I thought I would check and see if any of yall have any experience with this scope. I would like to use it for a sniper role.

I would like an optic that allows for very quick ranging and trajectory compensation for use on man-sized targets at unknown distances, so that it can be used to quickly and effectively get 1st shot hits in a high-stress situation where there is little time to range and adjust.

This scope seems to fit the bill. The magnification ring is connected to a cam that increases magnification as elevation increases. You adjust magnification until an 18" area on the target is bracketed in the brackets in the reticle, and it automatically gives you the correct elevation for that range. Since a man-sized target is about 18" wide, it ought to work very well for this role. It gives you 1x for every 100 yards, which I consider to be just about perfect. It also has mil-dots that are accurate at 10x.

To be clear, this isn't the exact same thing as the ART Camputer scope that was used in military service in the Vietnam era on the M-21. It has the same company's name on it and uses the same concept, but this one is made in China. It also has an adjustable cam so that the scope can be set for the trajectory of just about any caliber and load, instead of having to buy different cams for each load like you had to on the old version.

I have heard a lot of good things about how well the original worked as a sniper optic, so I know the concept is generally a good one. However, I'd like to hear the experiences of anyone who has any trigger time with one of these newer, made-in-China models. I realize that it won't be the best glass ever... I am mainly interested in the auto ranging and trajectory feature. But how is the durability? Is it tough enough for field use? It looks pretty solid for a Chinese made scope, and I know lots of people like Leatherwood's other scopes for a cheaper optic. I have to say, the $350 price tag is pretty tempting.

Re: Leatherwood/Hi-Lux Camputer M-1000

Here is a video we did.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zpkKgze_s24" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mike @ CST

"man-sized targets at unknown distances, so that it can be used to quickly and effectively get 1st shot hits in a high-stress situation"

You know the economy is bad when lawyers are having to settle for Leatherwood scopes for their sniper work :)

Anyone else have any experience with this scope? Seems like a cool idea.

The idea has been around for some time, used by Leatherwood, Elcan...

As mentioned in the video, it is a good option for someone who doesnt know a lot about trajectory, but when conditions change a "set trajectory" will not be accurate. Again, sound idea in the right application.

Kirk R