• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leatherwood USMC replica on Rem 40x?

blcouch

Private
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2009
Mississippi
Figured since the gun is older than me and the scope style is too I'd get better responses in here. I have a Remington 40x HB .22 that I built up from a CMP barreled action. I've been wanting to stick a Unertl Vulture external adjustment scope or a longer scope with external adjustments for the "period" look. I've dug into Google and Youtube and keep finding the same 2-3 articles about shooting in the CMP vintage sniper match with an '03. Doesn't really help me though. Since the 40x is basically a short action 700, what am I looking at to mount one of the USMC replicas( if it would even be worth it) and does anyone here have knowledge of this type setup, if not the exact setup. Again, 40x is heavy barrel in .22lr. No pix on my phone, so sorry. Maybe when I get home is this thread isn't dead I'll post a pic or two. As far as shooting, with a cheap 4x BSA scope and some subsonic Aguila it will make dime sized groups at 30 paces off my porch rail, so I don't mind a little legwork and money to get the setup right. I'd thought about doing a M40 replica with it but figure it would be better served in the original configuration stock.

If you go with a leatherwood Id suggest buying the version from Creedmoor Sports that is upgraded with US hardwre rather than the softy Chinese sourced screws. Ive also read (only read, no real experience) that people like to upgrade to Steve Earl mounts, etc for the most utility.

If you are just going for the look, why not go for a authentic Lyman Super Targetspot? My 20x is more than likely not as bright as a leatherwood, but it is more at home on the 40X USMC.
usmc40x2_zps95ec2882.jpeg

Last edited:
You might also research Winchester 52 and Unertl. I have several of this combination and they are sweet .22 caliber rifles. Not cheap, but sound investments and fun to shoot.

How durable are these old scopes ? And do they hold zero
With those external adjustments!?

If you are just going for the look, why not go for a authentic Lyman Super Targetspot? My 20x is more than likely not as bright as a leatherwood, but it is more at home on the 40X USMC.
usmc40x2_zps95ec2882.jpeg

How durable are these old scopes ? And do they hold zero
With those external adjustments!?

Holds Zero Just fine, I have a 12x Super Target Spot on my Model 70 in '06 and have no issues what so ever. The Lymans were on the USMC RTE Rifles and they competed with them.

I have no issues with the old Lymans and Unertls breaking or holding zero. They track very well too. Just great scopes. I use them on my Win 52's and 70's and hunt with them.

If anyone needs one let me know. I have a few extras. Lots of bases etc.

RTH

+1 for holding their zeros and tracking. I have a 20x Unertl that I use on my 52D and Pre-64 Palma rifle and it's great! Old school sexy and they work.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is base spacing. The external scope need 7.2 inch spacing for 1/4 inch clicks. Shorted and you get higher movement per click. Longer you get less movement. The USMC rifle pictured above would have around 1/16 inch clicks. Might be less that that. This limits your elevation and windage adjustment. Great for close range though.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is base spacing. The external scope need 7.2 inch spacing for 1/4 inch clicks. Shorted and you get higher movement per click. Longer you get less movement. The USMC rifle pictured above would have around 1/16 inch clicks. Might be less that that. This limits your elevation and windage adjustment. Great for close range though.

Second to what atlas said;
Unertl Telescope Mount Spacings

5.400" = 1/2" Per Click
7.200" = 1/4" Per Click
9.000" = 1/5" Per Click
10.80" = 1/6" Per Click
12.60" = 1/7" Per Click
14.40" = 1/8" Per Click

I've had these measurements squirrelled away as reference material for my model 70 project,
however at the time I didn't recorded at what distance - but I'd take it to be @ 100yards

It is 100 Yrds. I love these old scopes. I also love the old target rifles 22's. I have
40x's, 52's, 513T's Mossberg's and and Anschutz.