• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leave it as a 7mm Rem Mag or go 7mm SAUM

springer01

Minuteman
Dec 27, 2005
Brownfield, Texas
I know this topic has been beaten pretty hard but not too much recently from search results.

I have a 7mm Remington Mag ADL with a 26" factory pencil barrel on it. I used it to elk hunt several years and its fairly accurate for what it is, but now it just sits in the safe as my Elk hunting days are over (moved from New Mexico to Texas). I have had the bug to build it for shooting ELR 1200-1600 yard maybe more for awhile. Mainly just shooting steel for fun on the weekends. I bought a Broughton Barrel 9 twist will finish at 26" Tubb contour, looking at a McRees stock,wanting to run the 180's, obviously true action etc...

My only hangup is after reading about the performance of the 7 SAUM I'm thinking maybe I should chamber for it. But I have 7 mag dies and roughly 300 cases about 200 of those are new. Is making the switch really worth it? Good 7 mag brass is easy to find and reload, where as 7 SAUM looks to be hard to find and reloading is going to be a more involved/time consuming process if I choose to neck down 300 SAUM brass.

I know ultimately it is my decision, but just thought I might get some input to help sway me one way or the other.

Thanks!
Tanner

Re: Leave it as a 7mm Rem Mag or go 7mm SAUM

Stay with the 7mmRM, especially since you already set up for it.

In my 7RemMag, 175smk @ 2900 is a wind plow and hits are easy to see.

Get the machining done perfectly and then focus on being happy.

7 RSAUM!

I love the SAUM, but I will suggest you go with a WM, for reasons mentioned above, and also to keep my supply of SAUM brass from being further compromised
laugh.gif

I shoot two 7mm saums, I love them.
For outright performance the 7 mag is probably a better choice.
The difference in case design a lets the short mags burn most of their powder in the case and not the barrel, like the mag, resulting in more shots downrange before the barrel gets hot. We've all missed that one target at a certain distance and keep throwing lead at it, doing so with the mag would result in throat erosion mighty quick.

On the downside right now is brass, Remington says the first week in May is when they plan on running saum brass, bumped from Nov, Dec, and whatever. Given today's climate, we're almost guarenteed a limited run of it, so it will be snatched up right now. So if you don't have a stash already, it might be futile.

But there is enough 7WSM brass out there, and the terminal performance is close, this is the road I'd take right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7 RSAUM! </div></div>

+1 I love mine!

Thanks for the input so far! Got my barrel today, but still pretty much undecided. Brass availability is making me lean to the 7Rem Mag, even 7WSM brass seems unavailable. I find 7Rem Mag brass available pretty much everywhere. I dont want to have to mess with all the stuff involved in necking down brass that looks to be almost a must if you want to shoot the 7SAUM and I'm guessing the 7WSM also. 300WSM is about the only brass I have found of the SAUM or WSM calibers.

Remington makes 270WSM brass, people say 7mm-270WSM is a better round anyway. Dies will be higher though.
I'd still go this route before I ran a belted magnum.

The RM is probably your smarter choice, but I wouldnt base your decision on thinking processing 300 brass will be crazy difficult. Get yourself a Redding body die, run it through that, then neck size it, good chance youre done there. Worst case you have to run it through a standard FL die, but sounds like thats very rare.

Powder Valley had 300 Nosler brass two days ago, didnt sound like he was low either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The RM is probably your smarter choice, but I wouldnt base your decision on thinking processing 300 brass will be crazy difficult. Get yourself a Redding body die, run it through that, then neck size it, good chance youre done there. Worst case you have to run it through a standard FL die, but sounds like thats very rare.

Powder Valley had 300 Nosler brass two days ago, didnt sound like he was low either. </div></div>

Yeah might not be so bad I have read stories of donuts inside the neck after sizing. Guessing that could be taken care of by a neck reamer. Any of you guys size cases for the 7SAUM from 300SAUM? What do you use? I have read alot of people turning necks is that necessary after sizing down also? I'm a pretty basic reloader have never turned necks on any of my brass.

I guess the 7 rm will be better for the heavies at LR?

You get better elr performance at the marginal cost of a bit more powder and a bit less barrel life, but subtract out the cost of new dies and expensive hard to find brass and the RM wins every time.

Expecting my new build in this week, I went with the 7rem mag. 28 in 1-8 fluted varmint contour. See no real issues, this is my extended range rig but also a long range hunting rig. Doing all of the non machining work myself.

Even though I have a 7wsm and like it a lot. If I started with a Rem Mag, I would not switch, the performance it too similar for me to think it is worth the cost.

for what its worth I had a remington 700 sps in 7mm rem mag
max load for 180 gr berger vas 62 gr n 165 othervise loos primerpockets now it has krieger 1 in 8,5twist 30" 7mm wsm
max load 66,2 grain n165 180 berger 3090 fps
I dont know the fps for the 7mm rem mag

7RM

No brainer

FWIW, at like velocities, the RM barrel will outlast the SAUM barrel, because pressure will be less.

7mm RM is good to go, unless you are trying to save the few grains of powder in the short case.

Thanks again everyone. For now I am pretty set on building it as a 7mm Remington Magnum. Just seems the only reasonable thing, I already have the brass, and dies and getting more brass is not going to be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I have had problems finding brass for my 300 Blackout since I finished it 5 or 6 months ago, and I'm not enjoying being able to shoot it as much because of having only a limited amount of brass. Don't want to be in the same situation with another rifle.

How are the 7RM on mag length? Will say a 180 berger seated to max length still fit in a 338 mag?

^^ This I am questioning if I should go with 300 win mag DBM or .338 DBM? Max length on 300 Win mag is like 3.6 that should be plenty long right? Most loads I have seen for the 7RM and 180s seem to be under 3.4"

I bought a trg 42 in 7rm. Was originally a 300wm so there is a huge amount of space in the mag. Great rifle and great round. I will go 1:8 on next barrel though, better stability.

I have been impressed with the results I have seen with the 7 SAUM, D.Miller has one and LVGolfer, and they are very consistent at ELR distances.

I have a 7 SAUM in the works, I don't have the rifle yet and I have already been stocking up on components, picking up some brass from lvgolfer, picked up some 180 grain VLD's, now if powder would come available!!! I am anxious to get this thing put together!

Going with a Remmington 700 action, McRee Chassis, JP Recoil Eliminator (tank brake), Jewel Trigger and a USO....Scope choice is still up in the air. I have a 3.2x17x44 TPAL and a 5x25x58, I really want to use the big USO, but I have gotten spoiled using it on my match gun, decisions, decisions! :)

Found this thread via search! I am looking to build a 7mm SAUM with a Defiance long action, NF BEAST, and AX stock. So happy I found this thread to see all my favorite operators in Vegas also shooting this cartridge!

To the OP: I know this is an old thread but it seems no one answered your Q. I myself would NOT make the switch, not worth the cost if it is just a hunting rifle. Also you can load hotter with 7mm Mag just in case you want a shorter barrel. Chuck Hawk said he would not go under 24" for 7mm SAUM.

7 saum and 7 wsm are cases that are relatively easy to load for and not near as finicky as the 7mm rem mag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk