• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leaving the bolt gun for a semi auto

The world's best AR platform rifles now offered with Proof Research CF barrels from the factory...

LWRC REPR MKII Elite (Carbon Fiber)

Whatever happened to that fellow? I still remember my response to him! Something along the lines of, “LWRC makes a fine rifle, but they are far from precision rifles, and they committed a super doo doo by using CF barrels on their newest REPR models.”

OP - as a guy who’s been shooting precision gassers for many years, let me save you a shit load of analysis paralysis, second guessing and let’s skip to, “Buy once, cry once” solutions: You either contact @bigjake83 or JP (if you’re wanting 100% factory build). Is it gonna be more than 2g’s? Does Howdy Doody have wooden balls? However, you’ll end up being much more confident than you would with anything else.

I love Seekins products just as well. Those folks build hammers. Unfortunately, their hammers don’t charge from the side. Generally speaking, precision rifle shooters are running pretty good optics. Pretty good optics, nowadays, come in larger packages. Running the larger optics is where the side chargers shine. The LRP/LRI uppers are life changing in this regard.

In terms of timing, I’d say that right now is the absolute best time to purchase most any firearm. Many prices appear to be lower now than when Trump was at his peak as POTUS. As much as I loathe gunporker, I’d be vigilant on their site, as well as the classified here on the Hide. Shit, you may even put up a “WTB” ad on here. You never know who is out in the world and that they’ve been kicking around the idea of selling their JP. They see your ad, and it sends them over the “fuck it” ledge.

Reactions: j-moose32
Honestly FALex

my 6.5 REPR elite running the 130 Berger tacticals in front of N555 is very impressive coming from a old bolt gun crazy distance ELR guy, yes its defiantly beyond the OPs original budget target. I really believe he should hang on to the AI it has its own purpose.

cheers

I’m interested to see how happy you will be with it. Did you wind up selling your AI? It would be prudent to have both a bolt action and semi in the locker.

Reactions: Texascbr
Honestly FALex

my 6.5 REPR elite running the 130 Berger tacticals in front of N555 is very impressive coming from a old bolt gun crazy distance ELR guy, yes its defiantly beyond the OPs original budget target. I really believe he should hang on to the AI it has its own purpose.

cheers
I believe you, sir, but up to a point. I know how those CF barrels begin to "walk" once warmed up, I've seen it so much that it's now blatantly obvious. So, your REPR may be precise for the first 5-10 rounds, but if you shoot anymore than that in a short period of time, you're not going to have as a good a result as you would if you were running straight steel.

In my world, the benefits of a gas gun are to be able to engage any COF with speed and precision. If not, you'd be better off running a bolt gun. With that speed comes heat. With CF barrels, as stated above, heat is the enemy to precision, which thereby mitigates the benefits of running a gas gun.

And let me be clear here, I'm not trying to come across as an asshole. LWRC makes great rifles and I'm happy you like yours, but I will never be convinced that running a CF barrel on any rifle outside of a hunting rifle, makes any sense.

I believe you, sir, but up to a point. I know how those CF barrels begin to "walk" once warmed up, I've seen it so much that it's now blatantly obvious. So, your REPR may be precise for the first 5-10 rounds, but if you shoot anymore than that in a short period of time, you're not going to have as a good a result as you would if you were running straight steel.

In my world, the benefits of a gas gun are to be able to engage any COF with speed and precision. If not, you'd be better off running a bolt gun. With that speed comes heat. With CF barrels, as stated above, heat is the enemy to precision, which thereby mitigates the benefits of running a gas gun.

And let me be clear here, I'm not trying to come across as an asshole. LWRC makes great rifles and I'm happy you like yours, but I will never be convinced that running a CF barrel on any rifle outside of a hunting rifle, makes any sense.
Tavor 7 with a eotech halographic green and 3x magnifier 1.5 inch groups at 100 yds and a blast to shoot. Not a precision rifle. Also keep your bolt action you will regret selling it

Reactions: FALex
I get where you’re coming from. I’ve got a AI I’ve been on the fence of selling for a while now. For an AR you may not need to go to the AR 10 platform. If you’ve got an AR-15 you could just grab a new upper and change the buttstock out. There are cartridges in that platform that might suit your needs just fine.

I’ve been shooting a 243 lbc for a couple years. It’s a 6.5 Grendel necked to 6mm. Super easy to reload for and there a lot of good brass available I use it as a hunting gun, prairie dogs and coyotes to antelope and deer. I’ve got it running a 90 gr bullet at 2990 fps out of a 22” barrel and scoped gun is just a hair under 10lb. I’ve never loaded the heavier stuff for it so I’m not sure how much velocity it’d loose running the 105+ but I’m guessing not that much.

Attachment from left to right
223 rem, 243 lbc, 243 win

Take it for what it’s worth but it might allow you to accomplish the task with out as steep of a cost.

Attachments

• E8112F63-7216-41D3-B799-9D11E08E92B9.jpeg
    E8112F63-7216-41D3-B799-9D11E08E92B9.jpeg
    476.3 KB · Views: 12