• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lee Auto Prime

cotntop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2011
tarheel,nc
Just wondering if anyone knows where to buy handles for old style Lee auto-prime? Down to one handle. Next question is which handheld priming tool is considered the best? Kinda would like to stay away from Lee for simple reason of no spare parts. THANKS

Re: Lee Auto Prime

I use a K&M priming tool. Has good feel, maybe not as smooth as a Sinclair, but less expensive. It really doesn't take much more time to put primers in one at a time and I've never had one fail to go off (from handling them).

Second remaction. Much sturdier than the Lee, which I still have and use on occasion.

HTH,
DocB

I have two Lee Autoprimes I bought in '87, set up one each for large and small primers. I lube the knuckle with case lube a couple of times a year, nothing's worn out and nothing has ever broken on either. ???

If they do break I understand Lee no longer has spare levers so I guess I'd have to buy one of the new models. Considering the price and reliablity of my 24 year old Autoprimes I would do that without hesitation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have two Lee Autoprimes I bought in '87, set up one each for large and small primers. I lube the knuckle with case lube a couple of times a year, nothing's worn out and nothing has ever broken on either. ???

If they do break I understand Lee no longer has spare levers so I guess I'd have to buy one of the new models. Considering the price and reliablity of my 24 year old Autoprimes I would do that without hesitation.</div></div>

I did the same thing about the same time and they still work very good, I just noticed that midway has the lee new style for just under $17.00 and it uses the same shell holder as the old style so I ordered one just to try it out might be something to look at.

My only complaint on the original Lee auto primer is that after *many* cases, that flat metal lever starts to really tire my hand out in the fleshy part of my hand between thumb and forefinger. The new auto prime looks like the curved the handle and widened it which should alleviate that small problem. Still, never had a problem with the Lee and would buy another without hesitation.

I have used the Hornady for years and have no complaints. Very sturdy.

I had an old autoprime for years, & primed several thousand cases with it. 'Till it broke. The last one I bought didn't do a thousand rnds before the handle broke. I now have the new one, & the handle is short, & the operating angle it creates is uncomfortable, & requires a lot of effort to seat primers. Looking to get a "good" one now. I'm done with the Lee.

I have the Sinclair, K&M, and Lee.

I used the higher end tools for the low volume stuff and the Lee for the 223/308 etc.

I can see no difference in accuracy with any of the tools and can find nothing wrong with the Lee.
I love how fast it works!
If it ever breaks they are so cheap I will buy a new one.

FWIW I also owned the RCBS tool and by comparison it felt like garbage. I gave it away to a new reloader.

Peace

I could add to my post about the long life of my Lee Autoprimes is it's my practice to stop to see what's wrong when a primer won't seat normally. Meaning I don't use Tim Taylor's "apply more power" approach to anything mechanical; that does tend to break things with some frequency.

Just set up my fatherinlaw to reload w/ the Lee anniversary all-in-one kit. It has a "automatic" primer feed system attached to the press. You decap on the upstroke, pause and w/ one hand flip a primer under the round, then prime on the downstroke. I was impressed with how slick it was.

I've used Lee hand primers for both large and small primers and never had a failure in 3 decades. Now I'd like to use it for my new .375 Cheytac but I don't know where to get a head/shell holder that will hold something that large.
cry.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could add to my post about the long life of my Lee Autoprimes is it's my practice to stop to see what's wrong when a primer won't seat normally. Meaning I don't use Tim Taylor's "apply more power" approach to anything mechanical; that does tend to break things with some frequency. </div></div>
By the time I realise he primer is going in harder than normal it's partially inserted. How then do you get it out of the priming tool?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How then do you get it out of the priming tool? </div></div>
Unscrew the shell-holder.
whistle.gif

As far as the best hand priming tool goes, I would have to highly recommend the RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool. I like it because it does not require separate shell holders for different calibers. The only change is from small to large primers or vice versa, which takes about a minute.

I have had mine over 2 years now and easily primed over 5000 rounds without any failures nor do I expect any in the future.

The best hand primer tool I have found and use regularly is the 21st Century hand primer. It's super smooth like the Sinclair, the curved lever fits my hand perfect, plenty of leverage for simple thumb operation, and it feeds great from the Lee trays.

You have to already have the trays from an old Lee Auto Prime to use it though. I found some old style Lee Auto Prime's on Ebay for $25 ea still NIB so I bought two of them just for the trays.

If you have an old Lee hand primer and would like to upgrade give the 21st Century tool a try.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrjimsfc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How then do you get it out of the priming tool? </div></div>
whistle.gif
</div></div>
The shell holder in all my Lee auto primes slide out, & in, once you compress the primer plate down. So even if you remove the shell holder, with brass, from the priming tool the shell holder is still stuck on the brass with a partially inserted primer sticking out of it. Therefor you can't just place it in a sizing die to pop the primer back out without somehow 1st removing the shell holder from the brass, & to do that you need to 1st remove the primer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrjimsfc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How then do you get it out of the priming tool? </div></div>
whistle.gif
</div></div>
The shell holder in all my Lee auto primes slide out, & in, once you compress the primer plate down. So even if you remove the shell holder, with brass, from the priming tool the shell holder is still stuck on the brass with a partially inserted primer sticking out of it. Therefor you can't just place it in a sizing die to pop the primer back out without somehow 1st removing the shell holder from the brass, & to do that you need to 1st remove the primer. </div></div>

The one time I had to do what your talking about I used a Lee universal decapping rod to push the primer back out while still in the priming tool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EWP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrjimsfc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How then do you get it out of the priming tool? </div></div>
whistle.gif
</div></div>
The shell holder in all my Lee auto primes slide out, & in, once you compress the primer plate down. So even if you remove the shell holder, with brass, from the priming tool the shell holder is still stuck on the brass with a partially inserted primer sticking out of it. Therefor you can't just place it in a sizing die to pop the primer back out without somehow 1st removing the shell holder from the brass, & to do that you need to 1st remove the primer. </div></div>

The one time I had to do what your talking about I used a Lee universal decapping rod to push the primer back out while still in the priming tool. </div></div>

I hope you removed the primer tray to do so.

" So even if you remove the (Lee)shell holder, with brass, from the priming tool the shell holder is still stuck on the brass with a partially inserted primer sticking out of it."

Yeah, but that's true of all of them. Including when priming on the press.

I have a Lee that is very old. When I started loading for a 300 WSM I had to get a file/dremmel and open up the area around the shell holder. That might work for the Cheytac.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eagleskier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Lee that is very old. When I started loading for a 300 WSM I had to get a file/dremmel and open up the area around the shell holder. That might work for the Cheytac. </div></div>
I'll try that! Thanks.
grin.gif