• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lee breech lock Challenger kit

jericho

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2009
ct
Is this kit too good to be true for the price? I am going to start loading just .45acp.

Re: Lee breech lock Challenger kit

The Challenger press is good, especially so for handgun ammo.

IMHO, any quick-change die bushings are a mildly expensive solution to a non-existant problem.

Well that's good to hear.
Being a total reloader virgin, what do you mean by the bushings issue?
What else do I need to get with this kit to be ready to go?

Bushings are made to provide rapid die swaps, supposedly without having to re-do die adjustments.

If we don't move the die lock ring and only install dies hand tight - as we should - then the dies won't get out of adjustment anyway.

I can easily swap screwed-in dies in about 40 seconds and in about 8 seconds if using a quick change bushing. Given three dies for most handgun loading, the bushinga have a potential to save about 90 seconds in a normal loading session which typically lasts a couple of hours. Big deal; bushings can't 'save' enough time in the course of a year to let me watch Archie Bunker's show ... once.

I don't remember what any kit includes but none of them are complete. For what you need to reload, first thing you need a good loading manual with clear, well illustrated instructions and loading data. Suggest noobs get either a Lyman or Lee manual, in that order.

That's why I went to a LEE turret press, the non- automaticly rotating one's.
I set the dies up 10/15 year's ago and their still set.
When it come's to a caliber change just pop off the turret and put on the one I want.

"I set the dies up 10/15 year's ago and their still set."

That may be good but I don't do it that way. Sizing cases for the same results demands that I make small readjustments to the sizer quite often because individual cases vary in hardness and, therefore, springback after sizing, even those from the same box. They all vary a little by brand and number of times fired.

Just watched a video of the Challenger press in use and saw what bushings do. Sorry to have asked a question I easily could have figured out myself.Thanks anyhow for answering and not telling me to go look myself and not be a lazy bastard (which admittedly I can be).
grin.gif

I use to do exactly that, but you introduce another variable into the equasion.
When you size them without adjusting for each variable that right there add's more consistancy.

Lee makes some good reloading equipment. I reload all of my 45/70 and Cowboy Action loads on a Challenger Press. No complaints, and it's been through <span style="font-style: italic">at least</span> 10k rounds so far.

I found this kit on sale a couple years ago and it wasn't bad to start out with. I still have the press, but I have replaced the scale for a digital one and the powder dispenser for a better RCBS version.

I'll replace the press with a better press with more features eventually, but i'll be content with it for a while longer.