• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Lee Classic Cast Turret: Loading Precision Ammo

jmtyndall

Private
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2010
Washington
For a while now I've done all of my loading on a Lee Classic Cast Turret, and did all of my .308 loading on a single stage. Circumstances have changed, and I've finally moved to a house with a garage and built myself a workbench. I built it 4' long and I'm planning to keep 2 presses on it. I just purchased a Dillon 550 to handle all of my pistol and 223 loads, and the second press is going to be for small-volume and or precision loading, things like .30-30 and .308 rounds.

The question I have is whether I should keep the single stage press for these rounds, or the turret? The traditional wisdom is to load precision rifle rounds on a single stage, but I'm curious whether there's any reason that the Lee Turret wouldn't produce ammo just as accurate as the single stage, given that I'm using the same dies, manually weighing and charging cases etc. I don't see why it would be any less precise than a single stage. Thoughts?

I have the Lee classic cast press and load all my ammo with it, I shoot long range steel plates, I size my brass, with it and I've had no problems with my ammo, I hand seat all my large rifle ammo with a hand seater die but I do my 223 stuff on the press, all of my precision ammo shoots very well

6.5guys have a few videos/articles on precision loading with turret presses.

I got rid of my Lee turret after 11 years of loading match ammo on it I replaced it with a Dillon 550. I have a Redding BR3 powder measure on it and I use it like a turret press and I load some damn accurate rounds on it . I don't think you need it.

Thanks guys. I think I'll leave the turret set up on the bench then. I checked out 6.5 guys. Interesting channel, they have a video on using the Dillon 550