• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lee Classic Turret question

brianmat

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
Note: I already have a Lee Classic Turret for reloading handgun ammo.

From everything I have been able to gather, the Lee Pro Auto Disk will not be able to drop a big enough charge for the .308 (typically), so that's out right there. My main question is this: will using the Lee Classic Turret with auto indexing off produce acceptable results or should I go for something more standalone like a Rock Chucker? I really don't see the need to buy extra presses when the quick change turret pops in an out. I guess it comes down to any impact on accuracy using 175gr Sierra Matchking BTHP and H4895.

Thoughts?

Re: Lee Classic Turret question

What's it going to cost to try it?

I have one of the very old 3 holer's used to load pistol ammo (never really liked full progressive after I had some powder bridge up and loaded a couple of squibs). I took it to the range to work up a load for a new 223 heavy barreled upper. Just used the regular Lee sizing, bullet seating, and crimp (yes, crimp) dies and threw the powder into the RCBS beam scale. Handed each loaded cartridge to J Huskey, who proceded to shoot them into quarter minute group at 600.

The only mod to the press was to find a spring that fit around the indexing rod's insertion point through the shell holder carrier. This serves to raise the turrent against the upper locks when the handle is pulled down and removes the slack from the turrent, prior to the cartridge going into the die.

Let me know how it works. Not saying the Lee stuff is the best ever made, but it continues to load excellent ammo for me.

I am using mine as a single stage and have not had a problem as of yet. I am thinking of getting single stage press just for the rifle as I do not like how there is a slight lift on the turret and I think it may throw the seating off just a little.

My uncle loaded about 1500 rounds through his Lee Turret press with 30-06 and 308's. The press cracked, he took my advice and bought a RockChucker on round 2.

He still owns the Lee Progressive and it works dandy for pistol blammo.

I have a Hornady LnL coming (whenever Cabela's gets them in stock) but I'm keeping my RCBS for loading high grade match ammo for the bigger rifles.

I've been loading 308 and 223 with a classic turret and its been great. I load for my autoloading 308's with the disk pro I just had to get the double disk kit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mprtech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been loading 308 and 223 with a classic turret and its been great. I load for my autoloading 308's with the disk pro I just had to get the double disk kit. </div></div>I'll second this. I use mine as a single stage for rifle and it works fine and turns out ammo that's much better than I am.

All you have to do is get the double disk kit and the aoto disk will work fine. Just pay attention to the powder hopper if you use stick powder likr IMR brand. That powder will wear away at the opening in the powder measure, it happened to me. Just buy an extrs hopper os 2, there about 2-3 bucks for hoppers.

I've loaded up to 45-120 on my Lee Classic Turret and it's great. Nothing bad to say about it so far, I disabled the automatic turning however.