• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lee Collet collapsing cases

Nessal

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2009
CA
So I've been using this Lee .308 collet die for awhile now. I notice that anytime I anneal my brass and then use the collet, it will collapse the case. However, on cases that have not been annealed, it works like a charm. The cases are definately not over annealed. I can run them through the full body die without any problems at all. It is just newly annealed cases that have this problem in the collet die. What can cause this? I would like to just run them through the collet after I anneal and not have to bother with lubing and running through the body die.

Re: Lee Collet collapsing cases

I don't want to be a smart ass but that reminde's of a joke.
Doctor! Doctor it hurt's when I do this......
Then don't do it anymore.

Take your die apart and clean/check it.
It sounds like the collet 'fingers' could be stuck upward and together in the 'closed' position, so when you raise the case into the die, the case mouth is jamming onto the closed fingers and scrunching up the case, instead of sliding thru them up into the neck portion of the die.

When I clean mine, I usually put I tiny amount of imp wax on the outsides of the collet, wherever there is a bearing surface and it needs to move freely.

Your annealed brass is softer, so buckling up easily, that's a separate issue.. But the problem I think here is your die needs some attention?

I spray my collet dies out with some carb/choke cleaner (gumout), from time to time when the die gets gunky enough to drag on the case neck. That always works.

you shouldnt be sizing annealed cases , obviously that is your problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you shouldnt be sizing annealed cases , obviously that is your problem. </div></div>

Ummm, how do you think cases come to you from the factory?

I always size after annealing, because I get a more consistent neck dimension. I've never had a problem.

John

I agree with gfunk - make sure your die is completely clean. I've always polished the internal workings of my collet dies, including the mandrel, and they function flawlessly. You might also consider polishing the brass prior to sizing just to see if it makes a difference. I know it sounds odd but the less friction the better.

I've seen this as well... if the necks are completely annealed they become fairly soft and don't spring back at all. When the collet squeezes them against the mandrel they just grip it instead of sliding along the shaft and shove the neck inside the shoulder.

Might try polishing the mandrel, and polishing the inside of the case neck with a brush and some #0000 steel wool chucked in a drill on low speed. And try not annealing quite so thoroughly next time. Just a bit of stress-relief will work wonders, without causing subsequent problems like this.