• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

lee collet die in progressive press?

Mr Flannel

Self-Licking Icecream
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2006
Australia
G'day guys:

Question(s): Has anyone successfully used Lee collet dies for reloading rifle ammo in a Dillon press? Any issues to be aware of?

Reason I ask is that I currently reload all my match rifle ammo using a forster co-ax single stage and have done so for years but am thinking about moving to a Dillon 650 with a whidden toolhead and quick measure to try and speed things up a little (at least for my hunting ammo). I am a huge fan of the lee collet dies, they produce very straight brass and don't require lube and would like to continue using them in the Dillon.

All views welcome. Cheers.

Re: lee collet die in progressive press?

Since the Lee Collet die replies on pressure from the shell holder to perform its action, you would need to make sure the shellplate of the press is square to the die to give uniform pressure on the collet.

I have no use for a progressive but do love the Lee collet dies, see no reason they should cause any problems on a progressive.

Thanks guys - I didn't think that it would cause an issue if set-up and operated carefully.

Anyone around actually done this?

Yep. Worked okay (.308 Win), but being all tangled up in a 550 just makes it more aggravating when the Lee collet die eats another case...

Thanks Monte. I must say that I've never had an issue with any of my collet dies - must be lucky. Will probably use the Whidden floating toolhead on the 650 and that may help avoid the issue

I've never stuck a case in one, but all of mine have benefited greatly from a little polishing of the collet/closer interface. The run much smoother after a little TLC.

Andy

Polished 'em, ran 'em lubed, ran 'em dry, tried every damn thing I've ever read or heard of.... still every once in a while they get 'hungry'
frown.gif
If your's hasn't developed a taste for brass, don't let it start! When they start mangling Lapua brass, it's pretty much all over but the cryin'...

I've had a couple of Lapua cases go south in a 222rem collet die but never had any other issues. I do try not to ram the cases in - more like a virgin insertion...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Priest</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had a couple of Lapua cases go south in a 222rem collet die but never had any other issues. I do try not to ram the cases in - more like a virgin insertion... </div></div>

Agreed. The 45 degree taper at the tip of the mandrel is abrupt and has a well defined edge, and will snag a case mouth if you manhandle the upstroke. Gotta go in nice and easy at first until the tip is in
grin.gif

Mine always get nailed up around the collet, like it sometimes doesn't open back up fully. The 'tip' is in, but rather than the case mouth fitting up under the collet, the collet just jams it down inside the neck. Even with lube (wet or dry, take yer pick, polishing, etc.). Second one is not as bad as the first one was, but still does it occasionally.

Sounds like you've got a bad case of 'dog lock' there Monte. Very embarrassing to get stuck all the way in...
laugh.gif

Have you tried backing the die out a little - that may help. May also help to remove the collet and manually spread the jaws a few times, so it opens up correctly to receive the...case (ho ho)

I run mine lubeless - doesn't seem to hurt (ZING!!). Tried that?

And if all else fails...get rid of the bitch and get a new one.

Yes, yes and yes. See the part above where I 'tried every damn thing I've ever read or heard of'
wink.gif
Already on the second one - far less troublesome than the first, but still does it occasionally.

okey doke
wink.gif

worth the trouble in the end though. I'm going to try a whidden floating toolhead in the dillon 650 to minimise the chance of a hang-up with the collet die or misalignment problems in general

Mmmm... I've been using the Whidden toolhead in a 550. I needed to float the dies, but clamp/jack the tool head to get consistent seating depth, in my experience.

Get the Uniquetek tool-head clamping kit (recommended by John when I contacted him about what I was seeing) and install the jack screws in your tool heads. That way the toolhead becomes relatively solid/ part of the frame, but the dies can still float independently. Both floating together gave me some odd seating depth variations - between 4-11 thou. Locking down the tool head purt near eliminated the inconsistent seating depth, down to the same level (effectively zero) as my Forster Co-Ax... which also has a solid head, floating die setup when you think about it.

YMMV,

Monte

Thanks Monte. Out of interest - how are you dropping powder charges with your 550?

Chargemaster 1500, funnel in the tool head. John's tool head kit includes (or at least used to) one of those clear pinkish MTM funels, which with the flange at the bottom turned off just happens to be the right diameter to fit inside a Dillon powder die.

I do the 'skip a station' routine that Tubb described in one of his books years ago - so I'm not sizing and seating at the same time and masking the feel of a sensitive operation with a more forceful one.