• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lee collet die sizing issue solved

1693608387258.gif

Is this about post count ? If so you are beyond 25 now .

I'm curious - how does drilling the recess in the cap help the die size enough? I take it you wanted a bit more neck tension that it was providing?
To get more neck tension -interference fit- with the collet you need to turn down the mandrels diameter. No idea how what he did changes anything other than it’s a hell of a lot more work than just adjusting the die itself.

Reactions: ImperfectLiberty
Anyone else not like what Lee has done with cutting the collet shorter so the neck sticks out slightly to flare the case mouth. I noticed it with a new .308 collet die and contacted Lee about it. They said that's how they are cutting them now. Sent me some article from some "expert" that prefers them that way. Supposed to facilitate more concentric bullet seating.

Reactions: msgriff
Anyone else not like what Lee has done with cutting the collet shorter so the neck sticks out slightly to flare the case mouth. I noticed it with a new .308 collet die and contacted Lee about it. They said that's how they are cutting them now. Sent me some article from some "expert" that prefers them that way. Supposed to facilitate more concentric bullet seating.
Doesn't sound appealing. Glad I've already got mine.

It's not really a flare, just doesn't get full sizing. The end of the neck seems to be drawn in a little by the nearby sized neck area.
I needed the old style long necks to modify a .223 LCD to 22 Nosler by grinding off the bottom of the collet and shortening the mandrel. Old style had extra length in the neck area. New doesn't.