• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

lee collet neck sizer

badshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2008
South Arkansas
Anybody use the collet neck sizer die? I tried one out last night and I had to fiddle with it a lot to get the neck tension tight enough to hold a bullet without being able to pull it out by hand, even though they measured the same as my FL sized brass which I believe is .305 ID.

Re: lee collet neck sizer

I have been using Lee collet die for years for precision F class ammunition. You should polish the internals and every 100 or so rounds lube the collet ( Hornady One Shot thru straw). When you size the neck rotate the case and size again, kind of double pump. I use the collet die as a matter or choice and have all the other types of dies. I don't have to turn or keep track of wall thickness.

How many times have your cases been fired that you are reloading? If say 5 times that might cause a loose neck tension, are the necks clean. I have never had a problem of loose neck tension, in fact I JB Welded a washer on top of the shell holder then trimed so that it 3/4 sizes the case to avoid the terrible ID donut.

" I JB Welded a washer on top of the shell holder then trimed so that it 3/4 sizes the case to avoid the terrible ID donut."

Nothing wrong with that but it's not necessary. The Lee collet neck die design won't make such donuts anyway

I've been using them for years.

Make sure you give it enough pressure at the bottom of the stroke to do the job. About 20 lbs or so.

After you do a few you will be able to feel it when the collet closes down on the case neck, compressing against the mandrel.

I have had Lee Collet Dies on the shelf for 8 years, and just did some controlled experiments that revealed I should have been using them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">" I JB Welded a washer on top of the shell holder then trimed so that it 3/4 sizes the case to avoid the terrible ID donut."

Nothing wrong with that but it's not necessary. The Lee collet neck die design won't make such donuts anyway </div></div>
Fuzzball has got the right idea. Shorten the length that the collet can size and it does a better job.
If you try to get the collet to resize close to the shoulder as it is originaly designed to do it makes for more springback of the brass and more alighnment inaccuracy. Extra accuracy benifits come from the external expansion of the small unsized portion of neck . However internal dough nuts are not usually an issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: badshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody use the collet neck sizer die? I tried one out last night and I had to fiddle with it a lot to get the neck tension tight enough to hold a bullet without being able to pull it out by hand, even though they measured the same as my FL sized brass which I believe is .305 ID. </div></div>

Had the same issue and solved it the easy way--Bought Redding...

Have you tried doing 1/2 more turn on the die? You have to push down hard. which shell holder are you using?

OR, do it the REAL easy way, and (A) Either TURN DOWN the Mandrel, or (B), Order a new Mandrel, w/ a smaller O.D..............
That way, you get MORE tension...........
Ever set I get, I order an extra couple of mandrels, and break the primer pin off one...............In case I size after primed, which I do a lot.

Did you turn your case necks? The same thing happened to me when I tried to re-size some cases that I had neck turned. The thinner case necks don't get pushed in as far when the collet closes. With the Lee collet die, thinner case necks equal less bullet/neck tension.

A Lee Collet die should work better with turned necks not worse.
Sure the total strength of the neck is down because of a thinner neck but the neck tension is more even around the bullet diameter which is better for accuracy.
You only skim the necks to about a 75% clean up so it makes little difference to the strength of the neck .
The ammount of applied neck tension is controlled mainly by the diameter of the mandrel.
From some of the posts here I can see that some are not using the die as well as they could.
I have used them since they first appeared on the market and I have never broken a single decapping pin or damaged a die.
I do know for a fact that the collet die is the most misunderstood and missused die of the whole bunch.
Neck turned cases just need the die screwed down a very small extra amount so the collet taper goes a bit further into the taper sleeve.
If you can't get the die to size easily try cleaning and lubricating the two tapered surfaces with a thin smear of high pressure grease. If the surfaces are rough or damaged then polish them up first.