• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

lee enfield sniper rifle

Cool! So, not being up on the Lee Enfield Sniper rifles, would that be common to see a placard dated around 1971?

I'm no expert but I saw it and thought it was amazing especially the box and all the bits.

The guy said it isnt a genuine one as they go for around 12k gbp. He got Fultons who are one of gunsmiths at bisley to make it for him. It has an original barrel and original glass though and even the box is a work of art. it's actually in 7.62.
a few friends have smle in 303 and they are great to shoot.

Last edited:

I'm no expert but I saw it and thought it was amazing especially the box and all the bits.

He guy said it isnt a genuine one as they go for around 12k gbp. He got Fultons who are one of gunsmith at bisley to make it for him. It has an original barrel and original glass though and even the box is a work of art. ita actually in 7.62.
An original complete kit like that wouldn't go for much less over here either! :cool: Makes a lot of us wish we had bitten the bullet when they were $2-4K (dollars). They have been going for $6K+ since I last looked at them.

They were $850 when they were imported. They had Transit chests without contents, but did have the metal scope case.

he also had one of these.
throwing a 450g .577 pill down range you dont need a spotter it was throwing the dirt up in the backstop more than my friends winmag. beast. I forgot to take a picture.
designed by an American according to wiki.
I have also seen a martini henry 577/450 there and last time a french guy had a muzzle loading whitworth which I believe is considered one of the first sniper rifles and used by the Confederates to great effect in the civil war. it has hexagonal rifling. no idea how much one of those is worth but I imagine a genuine civil war example will have a hefty price tag.

The guy said it isnt a genuine one as they go for around 12k gbp. He got Fultons who are one of gunsmiths at bisley to make it for him. It has an original barrel and original glass though and even the box is a work of art. it's actually in 7.62.

The L42A1 and it’s civilian counterparts were all in 7.62. They came around long after the West all switched to the NATO standard.

Last edited:
Reactions: porter_jamie
Cool! So, not being up on the Lee Enfield Sniper rifles, would that be common to see a placard dated around 1971?

The L42A1 was approved for service in August 1970, and deliveries started in late 1970, with the vast majority being delivered in 1971, so that date would be correct. A buddy of mine is supposed to get one out an estate that is complete with all the goodies. I have not seen it yet.

Last edited:
I question your dates Random Guy.

My L42A1 is one of 22 rifles converted in the very first batch of rifles after the trials was completed. Conversion date 2-25-1970

...I am certainly not an Enfield expert. My reading of the following book suggests that the first 30 experimental rifles with different length barrels, twist rates, etc were delivered in early 1970. These 30 rifles were marked "XL42 E1." (XL designating experimental item).

Assuming this reference is book is correct (based on the archives at RSAF Enfield) , a February 1970 conversion date corresponds with the first batch of 30 experimental rifles marked "XL42E1" delivered to the ITDU (infantry trails development unit), so I presume you have a rare rifle with either an "XL" prefix, or per this book, had many had the "XL42E1" grinded away 'quite robustly' and have a deep scallop that is present on the side of the receiver, and re-engraved over that same area L42A1. (See below pic and text). T.he book doesn't say exactly what happened to the 30 trial rifles, but it notes some of these trial rifles are in the hands of collectors.

IMG_2783.jpg

Apparently 30 of the first 'standardized' L42A1 type rifles were not delivered to thte military as one might expect, but were delivered in December 1970 to the Metropolitan Police. The Police Dept rejected all of them over various issues or what they considered to be defects. Two senior Enfield armourers subsequently went to the Metropolitan Police station and inspected them in January 1971. They found that 12 of them did indeed have defects. (The serial numbers of those 12 are listed in this book). The other 18 'rejections' were due to the Police dept "not being familiar with the standards specified in the conversion program and their inexperience as to the methods of sight adjustment." The police ultimately rejected the program.

The first military (ie, "MoD" ) L42A1s were recorded as delivered to Donnington in January 1971, the same year that the majority were delivered. Smaller batches of MoD rifles were: "delivered to Donnington in 1972, 1974, 1975, 1977, 1978 and 1979 and spuriously 1980.."

IMG_2782.jpg

IMG_2777.jpg

IMG_2779_v2.jpg

...again, the reference book I have states "The Lion's share of the MoD contract was fulfilled in 1971 and the vast majority of examples today carry a 1971 conversion date." It notes the only rifles delivered in 1970 were 30 experimental rifles for military trials (circa Feb 1970 thru August 1970), and 30 of the new/standardized L42A1s were sent to the Metropolitan Police in Dec 1970 - which were summarily rejected, of which 12 were likely re-worked upon inspection. It is not clear in the text, but it seems possible that the rejected police rifles were subsequently provided to the UK military in January 1971...but that is my conjecture/reading of the above except.

My reading is that the NSN was created in August 1970 when the rifle was approved for the military service. In January 1971 the Royal Marines got their first batch of M42A1s. Again, I am not an expert on Enfields, I was referencing the dates in the above book by Steve Houghton.

Would like to see your L42A1 if you have pictures...they are historically interesting and valuable rifles...

Last edited:
The info I got came from Simon over on Milsurps. This is my PM's with him.

"Hi Robert,

Rifle H3XXXX was part of Batch No1 consisting 22 Weapons and has a recorded conversion date of 25th Feb 1970. On completion it was sent to store at Donnington.

Simon."

I responded with.

"Batch No1? Does this mean it was one of the first rifles converted to L42A1 configuration?"

Simon's response.

"Yes, It was part of the first batch of Rifles officially converted after the completion of the XL42A1 trials."

Reactions: crackerbrown
Possible disparity between conversion and delivery dates?

I've seen such a thing happen with records/dates on other firearms. Built, sits for 6+ months, then is delivered in the following year. Factory data and military records for a given serial number range subsequently don't exactly jive.

Okay, well, I guess someone's data is slightly incorrect. I suspect Simon might have meant to write Feb 1971 instead of Feb 1970, as the RSAF archives show that the first deliveries to Donnington took place in January 1971. (I think he had a typo, as it is pretty clear from the archives that the first batch of XL42E1 experimental rifles were sent in Feb 1970 for the military trials, which according to Houghton lasted "around 6 months from start to finish," and the final configuration was not approved until August 1970...and the first 30 of the 'new specification' L42A1 rifles were completed in early December 1970, but went "by road" to the Metropolitan Police force - instead of the MoD, which got their first rifles a month later...circa January 1971)

IMG_2786.jpg

Its not a big deal, but me thinks Simon may want to purchase this new reference book on The British Sniper: A Century of Evolution, by Steve Houghton. Its a must have for anyone interested in British sniper rifles. (I don't even own an Enfield, but I found this book really impressive with hundreds of interesting color pictures. Its a real reference book, IMO).

Last edited:
Reactions: crackerbrown
Very pretty. I stopped lusting after these as the M40's are spendy enough but would love to add one to my collection.

Regards
DT