• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lee or RCBS primer tool

Red Ryder

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
So I just took a look at the latest Cabela's ad to come in and being in need of a new priming tool, I paged through and came across an ad for a Lee Auto Prime XR model for $16.49. Then, I look through the ad some more and see an RCBS model for...$61. WOW, quite a price difference! So I'm wondering, first, are any of you using the Lee and if so, do you like it? Does it work well? And second, is the RCBS model THAT much better to justify a $44 price difference?

As always, your wise and experienced comments are appreciated.

Re: Lee or RCBS primer tool

I have the Hornady model. Love it. super strong and durable. Primed thousands and thousands of rounds with it. It uses standard RCBS shellholders.

I've used both quite a bit. I like the design of the Lee better, easier to switch calibers (the RCBS tends to want to come apart) however I broke the lever on every Lee I used. The RCBS is much more substantial and will hold up much better, just be careful when switching calibers.

The older model Lee also took a proprietary shell holder. The new model uses standard shell holders.

Charlie

Get a RCBS universal hand primer, no need for shell holders, just throw a case in and squeeze... Quick and easy

The RCBS universal is a really good piece of kit, I've got the one with the APS strips which makes things pretty easy. Of course unless you buy the primers in the stips you need a strip loading tool too... The Universal jaws will prime from .22H to .338 (that I've tried) and everything in between.

The Lee Autoprime I bought in 2008 was JUNK.

It has terrible ergonomics. I don't have delicate hands, and I'm not a p*ssy, but after priming 30-40 cases, my hand hurt.

I broke the lever, which was not repairable, because it's made of...SURPRISE...pot metal.

So I made an all new lever out of a piece of 4140 steel I had laying around.

It worked for another month or two, but then I broke the op-rod that communicates between the lever and the primer ram.

I ended up giving it to some poor sap on the hide that posted about his autoprime breaking, and money being tight.

I have the Lee prime tool and really like it!It's cheap and does the job.I've had it for years and no problems.Good reloading.
smile.gif

Unlike most Lee products, the primer tool isn't so bad. That said, neither the Lee nor the RCBS are what I would call "high quality". Both seem a little junky, but both do the job.

I have two Lee's. Picked one up at an auction.

I have never broken one. Lee used to have a warning to only use cci and winchester primers with their tool. Something about the chemistry of the other primers was bad. I use whatever.

The other problem with Lee is they don't fit ultra mags or short mags. You need a little work with a dremel or a file.

It is possible they have fixed these issues, and the new one with the square try looks like it would be an improvement.

I would buy two lee's, and set one up for small primers, and one for large primers and all you need to switch is shell holders. That is what I do now.

I have a Lee Auto Prime I've had for years. The new models are better because the primer tray is square to match the primer boxes. It is a little tricky to put a square box on a round tray.

I have both styles of the RCBS, one with shell holder and one universal, they both work fine, never owned a Lee. I use one with small primers and the other with large primers. I would have to say RCBS because of my experience with them over the years.

Thanks all for your comments. Is the RCBS price justified? I mean, it's $44 more than the Lee. Is it that much better?

Thanks.

I've used the Lee for years and upgraded to the "XR" version recently to handle the FGMM primer trays. The lee's do take a proprietary shell holder but for $3 it's a small price to pay for the ease of use.

I did so after seeing the RCBS tool. The biggest down check w/ RCBS is the primer rods drop into, and out of the handle. So if you ever turn the tool over for any reason the primer rod falls out. With the Lee you do have a completely separate primer tray system but that is a whole lot easier to locate and keep track of than a 2" rod.

The lee systems do benefit from a little polish work on the camming surface but other than that they work fine.

JMHO, YRMV etc.....

Cheers,

Doc

I had one of the older style Lee Auto Primes, even though I bought it in October of 2010. After it broke in January of 2011 (3 months later), I emailed Lee to use the ful lifetime gaurenteed warranty on it, and they told me they no longer make parts for it, and I'd have to purchase the newer model at a discounted rate. What kind of full lifetime warranty is that? I packaged up my broken Lee handprimer and tossed it in the garbage along with a email to the customer service of Lee... I will never own or use a Lee product on my reloading table now.

I bought an RCBS primer tool years ago. I've been using it ever since but it's getting to be a pain - primers, for some reason I haven't figured out, are getting caught right at the mouth where the tray fits into the black plastic thingey that guides the primers and fixes the shell holder. Sometimes I've got to take the whole thing apart when the primer gets stuck. Plus, as doc76251 states, if you turn the tool over the rod drops out. That's why I'm looking for a new priming tool.

I personally like to prime on the press. You get a better feel for the primers seating and it takes less effort even if it may take longer.

When I load pistol (single-stage) I bell the cartridge and prime with 1 pull of the press. I don't charge on the press because I find a lot of powder will get stuck in the die (LEE which makes good equipment for carbide pistol dies - in this case cheaper price does not mean cheap equipment!)

Lee if you are willing to replace it every few years. K&M is all steel construction if you are heavy handed or want a tool which will last forever. I've found them on the Options board here for $40, some more for new.

HTH,
DocB

My Lee is 12 years old. I went against the Lee recommendations and greased the pivot points and cam surfaces. I have never had a problem with mine and would buy another. I tried the RCBS and the Hornady, didn't like them.

I got both, I prefer the RCBS over my Lee, but I couldn't tell ya why.