• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lee Perfect powder measure consistency.

biner626

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 26, 2010
Goodlettsville,TN
I was out shooting today and had the opportunity to check velocity with the magneto speed chronograph. Sample size was only 3 rounds but I was impressed. 2680, 2683 & 2682. Loads were thrown and measured every 5 with the Lee perfect powder measure using Varget. Thanks to Copper Creek Cartridge Co. for the use of the chronograph.

wow, Im impressed too. When I had mine, It worked Extremely well for flake powders, but when I went to Ball or Extruded, I couldnt keep powder from falling out of the measure seams. Im glad its working for you. Yes, It is an incredibly accurate measure, AND in typical Lee fashion, I think they need "tinkering" to keep 'em running at their bestest. ;D

you can tighten or loosen the drum screw to help keep the ball powders from leaking... and disassemble every now and again and polish the inside of the drum with some 400 grit sandpaper... and the wiper is made of some sort of rubber, and does wear out... but I've put a small shim of plastic from a bubble pack under the rubber wiper, to give it new life.

The Lee PPM works very well, once you get used to it. I have never even wanted another measure. :)

Dan

I gave up on using the PPM on my progressive after the return chain snapped using Ramshot TAC. The powder would constantly hang the measure at the bottom of the stroke. I cleaned it, reassembled it with plenty of graphite, played with the tension on the drum, but never got it to run without either dumping a bunch of powder through the gap behind the drum or jamming.

I replaced it with a Hornady Lock 'n Load measure with the case activated die and never looked back (loading for rifles on the progressive).
Not having graduations on the chamber rod makes setup a little more time consuming but it has been accurate enough (throws within .1 grain consistently) and dead reliable plus it does not leak.

I have the Lee Auto Disk Pro for reloading pistols and it is fabulous, it will throw within .05 gr all day.

I mounted the PPM on a bench and it works great for precision rifle reloading, I set it a little low and trickle a few granules to weight... for that, the PPM works great, doesn't leak, doesn't bind. The biggest problem with the PPM on a progressive is the crank and chain arrangement, but turning it by hand, it works fine, and the graduations make setting up to load 20 rounds or so a breeze.

Maybe I just got a bad one.

Joe

I am glad you guys are having good results. I have one but haven't used it for a long time. I never tried anything other than flake like Titegroup in it. It measured great but flakes kept pouring out the side. I gave up on it.

All I've tried is Varget and 8208XBR. It has worked fine for those. Sounds like I may have to watch this thing for a while to make sure it doesn't go squirrelly. I was getting a lot of powder crunch through the RCBS Uniflow with Varget thus the change.

I get the same thing in my uniflow with varget. I may have to try varget in the Lee measure to see how it works out.

3 rounds is not a statistically significant indication of anything.

Entirely true Rookie. I'm going to qualify this with my chronograph at a later date. But, it does show promise. Mainly because it doesn't crush Varget.