• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lee Rasmussen's New world record 5 shot 1000 yard

The Mechanic

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2006
San Diego County Ca.
This weekend at an FCSA event Lee Rasmussen set a new .50 record at 1,000 yards with a 5 shot group 1.95 inches. That is between .1 and .2 MOA with a 5 shot group! Congrats Lee

Re: Lee Rasmussen's New world record 5 shot 1000 yard

Holy shit. What does the rifle look like - a fire hydrant?

Re: Lee Rasmussen's New world record 5 shot 1000 y

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This weekend at an FCSA event Lee Rasmussen set a new .50 record at 1,000 yards with a 5 shot group 1.95 inches. That is between .1 and .2 MOA with a 5 shot group! Congrats Lee </div></div>

I would love to know what type of equipment was used and am interested to see if there is a photo of the weapon..

Now that is a group.
P1020249.jpg

Thats cool as hell!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now that is a group.
P1020249.jpg
</div></div>

DAMN. Thats just bad ass...

Several years ago I used to complete with my LAR in Eatonville at the 550 yard matches. Although I came in second place one time, I was no match for at least three of the other competitors using rifles like the Robar, AR-50's and Macmillans. One day Lee showed up with a large new rifle and proceeded to shoot a 1.9" group on the 550 yard range. Everyone was impressed. It looks like Mr. Rasmussen has not quit impressing anyone yet.

I think his custom rifle was built on a Bat action. http://www.batmachine.com/

Ranb

Lee is good shit. Always been a good dude.

Wow. Holy crap that's awesome shooting. In the center of the bull too. Damn.

More like .186 MOA, not to split hairs or anything.
Definitely not bad at all, more like simply amazing!

Not exactly a hunting rifle as you can see but the amount of time it must take to perfect EVERYTHING to make this group is just amazing. He is the next Skip.

That is flat out awesome. I knew Skip growing up in Fallon, and he would be proud of anyone who did that.

Congratulations Lee, that is an awesome group.

Re: Lee Rasmussen's New world record 5 shot 1000 yard

Somebody ought to get him to run the numbers on that Leupold and make sure it's a real one and also mention to him that they don't trek!
grin.gif

Amazing shooting!

I'm sure Skip is smiling from above at Lee and still cutting his steaks with that "pocket knife".

I don't see a bipod on the rifle...It looks like all the rifles were in custom buily lead sled type vises? Wow I put my gun in a vise, pulled the trigger and it shot a really tight group.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smudaaar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't see a bipod on the rifle...It looks like all the rifles were in custom buily lead sled type vises? Wow I put my gun in a vise, pulled the trigger and it shot a really tight group. </div></div>

Dude!!!!!!!WTF?

They both can apparently shoot very well, as in... much of the best recorded to date, consistently, in any class.

I think he's referring to some of the bench rest mounts, some even recoil along rails, they have been referred to as ballistic exercises that don't require shooting skill.

His wife has him beat in hunter class. The match rules are here. http://www.fcsa.org/wwwroot/pdf/FSCAMatchRules2009.pdf

Sheri Rasmussen
2.992" - 6/01/2008

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Long_Action</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't see a bipod on the rifle...It looks like all the rifles were in custom buily lead sled type vises? Wow I put my gun in a vise, pulled the trigger and it shot a really tight group. </div></div>

I hate to break it to you but there is quite a bit more to it than just pulling the trigger

Those are the guys that push the envlope and help design the next generation of equipment and gear that we all benifit from. Kinda like a top fuel racer. Not real practical to go 1/4 mile in a few seconds but their discoveries work their way down to the masses. Don't forget that todays off the shelf rifles will out shoot any "custom" rifle from 50 years ago. Its because of guys like this that keep advancing the sport.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a pretty good article along with a picture of the rifle he shot it with.

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/200...-at-1000-yards/

rasmussen04op.jpg

rasmussen05.jpg
</div></div>

Is that a Leupold!

I think so.

holy crap what a barrel on that thing!!!

Everything came together for him that day. Conditions, load, rifle, driving the rifle, and, of course, lots of experience; he deserves all the accolades that such an accomplishment brings. The fact that it's a 50BMG makes this even more impressive. I'd love just touch him and get a tiny bit of that mojo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Long_Action</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't see a bipod on the rifle...It looks like all the rifles were in custom buily lead sled type vises? Wow I put my gun in a vise, pulled the trigger and it shot a really tight group. </div></div>

If the only part of this was shooting in a lead sled or machine rest, we'd all be printing these groups. If you have to use a lead sled, you're not driving the rifle. What you see here is skill and experience.

The rifle was "resting" on custom built front and rear rests as per the FCSA rules.Lee is not just a top notch shooter,he is a gentleman as well and shares info and gives advice to other competitors if they need it.Good for him,he deserves it after all The time and effort he's put into the sport.
STEVE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fucking impressive. </div></div>

I couldn't put it better myself.

His Leupold is way better than mine..
WOW....

I think this goes to show his wind reading skills more than anything else. I mean, if I took a 30 lb rifle, put it into a solid custom built front rest & rear support with a good 20x (or more) scope, hitting at 1000 yds. ain't that difficult with custom .50 BMG ammo.

BUT! Reading the wind good enough to get that kind of group is where he is the Cat's Meow compared to most of us!! Of course, I could be talking out of ass, so take it easy on me.....LOL!

That Leupold is most likely a custom built, with glued internal parts altered magnification etc. Tuned Leupold's are pretty popular among the BR-people.. Nice group though!

<span style="font-weight: bold">BUT! Reading the wind good enough to get that kind of group is where he is the Cat's Meow compared to most of us!! Of course, I could be talking out of ass, so take it easy on me.....LOL!</span>

I am member at a 1000yrd range here in WV, I was watching these guys one day shooting little tiny groups at a 1000. so I ask one of them. What is your system on reading mirage, or where do you take your wind reading from, and about 20 other questions. So he says to me "We Dont" I said what how do you not read the wind, or account for conditions. He said at matches you get sighter time. you fire your last shots at the end of the sighting time. By then you would have your scope on target. Then you shoot as fast as you can before the conditions change. I could not belive it. I was thinking I found the Wholy Grail of wind reading, to be no better after 20min of conversation. Then a guy showed up to shoot at 1000yd
and he did exactly what the WV guy said. They all
had great form shooting though. I would think you would have to have the fundamentals of shooting down to shoot like that.
Congrats on a great group!!!

Wow.....didn't realize that.....

That's impressive.. our own JamieD shot this group with his 260 last weekend at the Reade match..
IMG00314-1.jpg

I didn't measure it but it was about 1.5" wide and less than 3" tall!

RJ

Lots of so called good shooters think longrange benchrest is easy just because a rifle sits on a rest, rear sand bag and a concrete bench. When I hear this I don't laugh..I just shake my head think to myself what an idiot. Obviously when these words are typed or said the person saying it is a jealous person and just plain ignorant to the say the least. They have NO clue what skill it takes to shoot .25 moa groups or even .5 moa at 1000 yards....CONSISTANTLY. Sure, some shooters pull one out of their ass every now again..but to do it consistanly takes skill and very good equipment. I heard and read the same crap on countless forums after I broke two world records at 1000 yards..he got lucky..like to see him do it again..and that I even cheated. Guess they didn't follow the statistics over the last 8 years and all the dozens of targets printing 5 shot groups in 3 inches or less and the dozen 2" groups either. People like this don't have a clue nor the balls to show up to match to show how good they are..but they can sure type a good show. Sometimes when they show and watch you shoot 5 shots in 6-8 seconds flat in a bolt gun and print a 2" group at 1000 yards they still find something to say and don't believe it or believe they can do better..with practice of course. Let the man enjoy his victory.

Congrats Lee

Tom Sarver
IBS 1000 Yard World Record Holder group & score 1.397" 50/5x's
.300 Hulk