• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lee reloading kit - Why so cheap?

captnmo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2008
Fort Lewis, WA
So I'm looking at buying a reloading starter kit and have investigated the usualy suspects: Lyman, Lee, RCBS, etc.

But I notice the Lee kits are about $180 cheaper but haven't heard anything negative about them. Am I missing something or are these really a good kit? Thanks.

Re: Lee reloading kit - Why so cheap?

Lee's the best bang for the buck to get started. You can upgrade later when you know what you want/need instead of spending all the money up front based on 'net knowledge.

Are they the best out there, no.
Will they make sub moa ammo-damned straight they will.

For a person just starting out with very little money to spare, you can make ammo that will go bang. They are made from aluminum castings instead of most heavy "O" presses are cast iron or steel. I bought a RCBS RockChucker in 1972. I have had 4 Lee presses and 4 other RCBS presses and 1 Lyman. I still have and use the old RockChucker.

Bottom line is you get what you pay for.

Buy a couple of books and do a lot of reading before buying gear.

Searches will get you a lot of information, including advice against the kits.

Lee equipment is cheap because it's cheaply made. You may also find discussion of why this is so.

I started with a Lee Anniversary kit.

It's great for starting out. I still use most of what came in the kit. I upgraded to a digital scale, but the hand primer, trimmers, powder thrower and press are all still going strong.

It's a great investment and makes excellent ammo.

You answered your own question...cheap.

The cheapest is seldom the least expensive.

I have several sets of Lee dies and, a couple Lee loaders (.223, .308, 30-06 and 20 Ga) and several hand tools and assorted other stuff including the dipper set which is inexpensive yet very useful.

Their manual is excellent, thorough and also inexpensive. Though I started on a RCBS Rockchucker and presently use a Dillon 550, I feel Lee products are a viable, affordable entry for people starting out in reloading.

Dick Lee started as an engineer with a plan to do business as Sam Walton (Walmart)does; give a lot of value to the customer and make big money on a large volume of sales.

Designed his tools to be made inexpensively and in large volume on modern CNC tooling. It works, both for us and him. NO ONE else gives the value for the buck as Lee, and his effect on holding down prices on other companies has even helped those who don't want Lee stuff.

All the Lee tools do a good job - if used correctly - and they have a few unique tools that are the best of their type at any price.

Lee's current (Classic Cast/Turret) presses are cast steel (not the cheaper cast iron used in others) and are perhaps the best presess availible of the single stage and turret presses of their respective types.

Many tool snobs slander Lee's older aluminum alloy presses aS "cheap" while ignoring that same material is being used in Hornady and some RCBS presses! Ah, folks can be funny!

If knowing there are many different alloys, some good, some not so, if witnessing three progressive presses that cannot load more than a few dozen rounds without out a stoppage makes me a snob...well, I'm a snob. Lee products are worth what you pay for them.

I have a 25 year old cheap alloy Hornady press that has loaded more rounds than a half dozen Lee progressives could load without major malfunctions.

Lee products are worth what you pay for them.

Eddie the Snob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If knowing there are many different alloys, some good, some not so, if witnessing three progressive presses that cannot load more than a few dozen rounds without out a stoppage makes me a snob...well, I'm a snob. Lee products are worth what you pay for them.

I have a 25 year old cheap alloy Hornady press that has loaded more rounds than a half dozen Lee progressives could load without major malfunctions.

Lee products are worth what you pay for them.

Eddie the Snob </div></div>

I guess I fall into the same group. I have 4 Lee Pro 1000 progressive presses for 45 acp that I used before I got my Dillon 650. Yes the Dillon has an aluminum alloy frame. About 6 times heavier than the whole Lee setup.

While most of the Lee hand tools such as priming tools and decapping punches are wonderfully simple and a good investment. Their dies are wonderful if you are loading a generic, basic round. But I prefer a better grade for my higher volume, tighter spec ammo. Most of the presses of their name brand have not performed as advertised. Or at least as I thought they should. The last Lee press I got to just use for depriming 6PPC brass at a benchrest match was like pushing a loaded truck uphill. After 1 relay I went back to the RCBS Partner I had in the trailer.

If you never eat a steak you'll never know what you miss. If you never pull the handle on a properly set up quality press, you'll never know what you're missing. If you never touch off the trigger on a match grade rifle, you'll never know what you miss.

But you are spending YOUR money on YOUR equipment. It's YOURS. Do with it as you wish.

I broke 3 aniversary presses but mostly due to lube issues. I picked up the classic turret and havent looked back. Its steel and heavy duty. Buy it youll love it.

i run a rcbs rockchucker for rifle, love it and dont feel like changing... just started a lee turret for pistol ammo... big difference in the presses, but i feel they fit their roles well...

Started with a Lee Loader almost 40 years ago. Still have and occasionally use the same. Have a Rockchucker but no place to set it up. Currently using a Lee Hand Press. Works just fine. On one occasion (just to see if it could be done) made 222 Rem. out of 223 Rem. Yes it worked.

If a Saturn will do what you need, then why spend 4X as much for a Hummer?

Lee = VolksWagon
RCBS = Chevrolet
Lyman = Ford
Hornady = Pontiac
Redding = Cadilac
Dillon = Lexus

Some of the custom made presses & dies are like a custom built car. You can really get some serious money invested in them if you wish.

Everybody likes something different.

"...I prefer a better grade for my higher volume, tighter spec ammo."

Vic, I've long heard/read this "tighter specs" thing but never got a definition. I'm always a bit puzzled with the idea of "tighter spec" dies from various makers. So far as I can tell, all makers stay within SAAMI tolerances.

It's been my umderstanding that each die and gun maker buys reamers ground to something like the maximum diameter and length by design. They will cut chambers in both rifles and dies on the large side of normal but, as the reamers dull and get resharpended, they get smaller until the cut chambers are near the minimun dimensions. That's supposed to be okay since SAAMI spec.s do give a range of +/- a given number of thosanths in each dimension of both dies and chambers.

So, I've always wondered which way a "tighter spec" die would be, how should we define that? I mean, what side of the normal dimension ranges do you prefer your dies and gun chambers to be closer to, or held "tighter" to; minimum size, maximum sixe, or more closely in the middle of the SAAMI tolerance range? And where inside that range do you find Lee's dies to be made more often than others?

If you contact Redding or even RCBS with an idea they can make a "speciality" die just for you. But it isn't going to be cheap. In the past I have had several rifles with "Tight" or custom chambers. Some would load using regular off the shelf dies. Others were custom from the word GO and had to have custom dies made for that chamber.

I'm talking about chambers or dies made just outside or to the minimum SAAMI specs.

Some "tight" chambers made to SAAMI minimum specs won't accept loads from a "middle of the road" sizing die. All SAAMI specs have a minimum and a maximum dimension. A maximum dimension "economy" full length sizer won't make ammo for most tight chamber rifles.

I plan on loading serveral types of ammo. 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 SCP, 308 win, 30-06, and 223 to name a few starting out. Maybe I'll get into more exotic calibers later on, but I plan on donig a variety of these right off the bat. Maybe that could narrow down the brand based on what Lees and other brands are cabable of. I don't know their individual capabilities since I'm just starting to reload.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captnmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know their individual capabilities since I'm just starting to reload. </div></div>
Learn first. <span style="font-style: italic">The ABC's of Reloading</span> will introduce you to the available equipment and it's use.

I'll reiterate my suggestion to search the forums.

No matter which brand, for straight wall pistol cases use a sizer with a tungsten carbide ring. They only need to be cleaned. No lube required. But they cost a little more.

First thing to buy is a copy of Lyman's Handloading Manual. Read all the stuff about safety and the text between chapters of actual data. It contains more actual usable data than any 3 other loading manuals.

Read everything 2 or 3 times. Don't be in too big a rush to blow yourself up.

Read all the safety pages 2 or 3 times before you buy the first tooling.

Do a search here next time.

I started at the other end of the spectrum, my first and only, press was/is a Dillon RL550B. I bought it it used and it would have been a good deal at several times the factory list price. If you ever see me looking to sell it, you'll know I've either gone round the bend or..., or...; there is no or...

But that doesn't make it any 'better' than the Lee gear.

Handloading good ammo is about how you go about it, the equipment is just another set of tools. A craftsman can get the job done with the most modest tools, a hack couldn't make barely plinkable junk with the best gear ever. In some ways, modest gear, that makes you pay attention to detail and makes you keep that gear in clean and serviceable shape, is actually an advantage. When the better stuff comes along, you'll appreciate it better, and treat it decently.

Look down your nose long enough, and you'll inevitibly end up bangin' your head on something you should have seen coming a long way off.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Look down your nose long enough, and you'll inevitibly end up bangin' your head on something you should have seen coming a long way off.

Greg </div></div>

Great post Greg!

Lee vs Dillon (Redding, RCBS, etc) is pretty much akin to the Savage vs Remington arguments. My bench is a mix of red and green, but started out red and did fine as I learned what I really wanted/needed. Funniest part is I use a Redding 3BR powder measure now because I was given one, but it throws no more accurately than my little Lee Perfect Powder Measure did!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But that doesn't make it any 'better' than the Lee gear.</div></div>

Depends on what you mean by "better." Better in the sense that it somehow seperates users by class...no. Better in regards to quality...yes. Give an uneducated engineer a Dillon or Hornady progressive to compare against a Lee and ask him which is of higher quality.

I agree, it's more the driver than the tool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give an <span style="font-style: italic">uneducated engineer</span> a Dillon or Hornady progressive to compare against a Lee and ask him which is of higher quality. </div></div>
How about <span style="font-style: italic">an engineer who is unfamiliar with reloading</span>?
smile.gif

In the end, quality is producing a tool that meets the users' needs. I like Redding. Some get along fine with Lee. The aggravation for me is when a person recommends something to another whose needs are different. The cost component is always major to those who buy Lee. Others will be more concerned with the function and life of the tool. Excessive indulgence in finish and differentiation that doesn't serve functionality constitute vanity, not quality. OTOH, loading 458 Lott on a Lee Reloader begs another question; absolutely cost driven.

When I made the switch to reloading I took my Dads advice,put an add in your local news paper and advertisment papers.WANTED USED RELOADING GEAR....Bingo,my frist phone call was for a box full of stuff,RCBS RC press,scale,powder thrower and on and on for $100 bucks.Second phone call I got dies another press and more gear for $50,For me the few dollors I spent on adds was worth it.

Doesn't matter whatcha' get as long as the price is right.
sick.gif

I would get it,

the kit is a great starter kit, gives you all the basic tools you need. As you grow in reloading you will gain more tools. BUT you will still use the lee tools in the kit.

Thats the great thing about the lee kit. You will start of basic and grow and still keep the same tools. for a lot less $$$$$ than buying each tool.

I have a mix of Lee and RCBS.

John

I have three Lee 1000 pistol presses. 38/357, 9mm, and 45 ACP.
I have loaded several thousand rounds with each with nothing breaking or wearing out.
I bought a Dillon which broke immediately, the replacement part broke immediately, and Dillon refunded my money.
My heavy duty presses for rifle calibers are RCBS. They're tough and reliable.

David

This is probably the 100th time I have posted this. You can buy the kit, learn how to load, and figure out what kind of replacement gear you want. Once you buy the better press equipment, you can sell the Lee kit by individual peice on eBay and make a profit. This is something I recomend on my website and those who have taken me up on it have beeen pleased. You really can't lose by getting it as your first kit. The book alone would cost 1/4 the price of the kit if bought seperately; which is all I have left out of the kit from 10+ years ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIERRAWHISKEY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I made the switch to reloading I took my Dads advice,put an add in your local news paper and advertisment papers.WANTED USED RELOADING GEAR....Bingo,my frist phone call was for a box full of stuff,RCBS RC press,scale,powder thrower and on and on for $100 bucks.Second phone call I got dies another press and more gear for $50,For me the few dollors I spent on adds was worth it. </div></div>

Sierrawhisky,
I'm going to try your advice. Then I'm going with the Lee. The bottom line is, I've gotta learn reloading...Better to do it with a decent kit at a low cost and then figure out where to go from there. If I start of expensive, and realize it's not working, I'm out the extra $$$ and in the same place.

Thanks guys!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I start of expensive, and realize it's not working, I'm out the extra $$$ and in the same place.</div></div>

Perhaps not. Quality gear commands higher prices in the used market. Check ebay prices on used Dillons.

"Bingo,my frist phone call was for a box full of stuff,RCBS RC press,scale,powder thrower and on and on for $100 bucks."

The message in this post is an accurate reason many of us DO NOT suggest a newbie buy the gear those of us who are heavy into to it use. First, a lot of people don't stick to reloading and many of those who do, really won't be into high volume loading.

Second, let anyone who disagrees consider the return on investment for an inexpensive Lee kit vs. the $100 for the RCBS gear! Unless the Lee ownder just gives it away, he is likely to recoup a larger percentage of his purchase price. That's a FACT! Thus, we do newbs a diservice when we suggest the stuff we hard-core types use and love. It's unlikley many of them will ever see any user benefit from spending a load to purchase our choices. And it sure seems that many, perhaps most, of us make our suggestions more from personal brand loyalty than logic anyway.

As Captnmo has wisely posted, with a little experience they will soon come to KNOW what they want/need to up-grade to, if anything, without asking faceless people on the net and that personal experience is more likely to be correct FOR THEM than anything we might suggest. I believe a Dillon or other progresive of any type is perhaps the poorest choice possible to suggest to a new guy to get started with. And turrets are precious little better.

Nothing they buy and later up-grade is a waste anyway. An early press can be religated to special tasks, de- or recapping, seating, crimping, an inexpensive first scale can very well serve as a back-up, etc.

A good loader can produce just as accurate ammo on inexpensive gear as he can more expensive tools. A clod reloader can't make good ammo on anything, no matter how much he spends; purchase cost does NOT automatically produce higher quality results. And if a "cheap Lee alum alloy" kit press should actually get worn out (rare), it will certainly give plenty of service for the low intial cost!

I prefer to help newbies get started at the lowest possible cost and then help them get well grounded, rather than forment a pointless cost barrier that helps nothing and no one.

IMHO of course.
wink.gif

When the budget equipment doesn't work, how does a rookie reloader know it's not him? 'Course, if he doesn't know he's having a problem, what difference does it make? It's not like he could blow himself up.

I got Redding, Lee, MEC, RCBS, Hornady and Lyman. IMO the new Lee turret press with the autoprimer feed is a great simple design and will produce sub MOA ammo suitable for 99% of what we do.
Yeah if you're shooting .221 10 shot @ 100 yard groups, Sinclair is probably better. Of course if I buy the Lee I'll save enough for a guided Elk hunt..... Your money, your choice.

Tikka 22-250 5 shots @100 loaded on Lee turret, good enough for me.

22250group.jpg

"When the budget equipment doesn't work, how does a rookie reloader know it's not him?"

Win, how could/would it "not work" in such a mysterious way? And, how would the situation be any different if he were using your favorite preference brand snd it didn't work in ezactly the same way?

I note that those who tout a couple of high cost brands for their full warrantee coverage at any time for any reason seem to get a lot of requests for correction parts. Is there any useful information in that???

"Some "tight" chambers made to SAAMI minimum specs won't accept loads from a "middle of the road" sizing die. All SAAMI specs have a minimum and a maximum dimension. A maximum dimension "economy" full length sizer won't make ammo for most tight chamber rifles."

Vic, Yes, all manufactured parts have a minimum and maximum size range. BUT, if the dies and chambers are indeed made to SAAMI specs, no over lap of dimensions will happen. SAAMI specs are NOT to a nominal specification +/- some amount; die reamer specs are from from +0 to some minus size, while chamber reamers are from -0 to some plus size. It's deliberate so there can be no SAMMI cartridge that won't fit any SAAMI chamber. That's why I asked if you prefer your dies to be closer to the upper or lower limits of SAAMI dimensions.

Not that some work hardened cases sized in a die reamed large with a new reamer might not always chamber easily in a rifle chambered with a small, worn reamer but that's really a case problem, not a chamber to die problem, per se.

A "large" sizer die OR rifle chamber will be cut with a brand new reamer. Tight chambers will come from old, nearly worn-out reamers that have been resharpened a few times. A smaller chamber from a reamer that has been deliberately ground down as if it were already well worn will cut a nice, minumum sized chamber too! So, large chambers are not from sloppy tolerances or well worn reamers as some seem to think.

Getting a good match between a given firearm and a given die set is more of a crap shoot than any price paid for a brand choice to obtain hoped for "tighter tolerances". If your dies-to-chamber fit IS good, there will be little if any advantage to buying the much more expensive "competition" die sets. And even then, in my experiece, the improvement is slight, not massive. Even at the greatest mismatch, the differences in fits are still quite small.

All this is why some people have very good luck with some die sets and others have better - or worse - luck with the same ones! Fact is, after some 40+ years of reloading with a WIDE varity of die brands I can find no clear and automatic advantage to any dies without testing them in a specific firearm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Win, how could/would it "not work" in such a mysterious way? And, how would the situation be any different if he were using your favorite preference brand and it didn't work in exactly the same way?</div></div>
Just recalling one poster's issue with Lee's plastic scale. Ohaus and Redding scales aren't known for dragging on themselves. You get what you pay for. The issue is whether someone is willing to get by, or whether they want confidence in their reloading process.

I fully agree with your estimation of paying for warranty in the sale price. I don't favor either of those prominent brands, but they are very serviceable and have excellent reputations, which seems to satisfy their customer base. I view it as a very successful marketing tactic. It's irritating to hear stories of PR people who mishandle customer situations, damaging their image and driving off opportunities to improve their own company's functioning. Of note is Kombayotch's recent experience with Hornady. Talk about wiping out the <span style="font-style: italic">attaboys</span>. Hornady overlooked the opportunity to reduce out-of-spec product, or in this case, change their allowable tolerance.

Okay. Not sure I entirely agree but I see what you mean and you are right.

I don't care for the Lee scale because of it's light weight and limited range but the one I used at a buddies place did fine for the powder charges we ran over it. Seems if the beam "drags" it would be from clumsy operation. But nothing works good if it isn't used correctly.

We can never get MORE than we pay for, but sometimes, with some brands, it seems we get LESS than what we paid for!

Thanks for the input guys. The Lee Kit is on the way. $89 before shipping on Midway. Reading about a lot of the things you're talking about, I see I've got a lot to learn. So I'll start easy with the common calibers I've got and figure it out from there. If the components are not to my liking, than I can probably recover most of what I paid on eBay. I'll let you know how it goes. If not....well....gotta start somewhere.

I'm happy with the Lee kit I purchased. Only thing I added was a used case trimmer and some RCBS dies instead of the Lee dies because they were never in stock.
The powder measure appears to throw consistent charges with RL-15.

My less than rich buddy, bought a Walmart Savage in 300 Winmag, put a 3-9 Rifleman on it, Bought a Lee package relaoding set, got some training from this ancient (been at it 50+ years) reloader and now turns out reloads with CCI mags, H4831SC and 168 TSXs (we don't go cheap on bullets) that will put 5 in two inches at TWO hundred yards He has killed the 5 Antelope (100-250 yds) and one big Mule deer (100 yards) very dead right now. That's all he has shot at so.........
Too many anal reloaders, not enough real hunters.

BTW, the "cheap" Lee measure throws better charges than any of my 4 Lymans and five RCBS measures and their collet dies are as good anything until you get into RCBS or Redding bushing bench rest dies. Own em all and use them all.

Load and shoot, ignore the hype by those who equate money spent with accurate ammo.

I started reloading with a Lee Kit in 02 still have the same press had no problem with it. You cant go wrong with one

i like my Dillon because it is very flexible. I can load single stage, load progressively, or do a combination approach.

While I agree anyone can break anything, even a Dillon RL550B, mine was purchased used, served as a team reloading facility for a Marine Corps League Detachment shooting team turning out .32, .38, 9mm, 10mm, and .45ACP as well as .223, .308, and .30-'06 for an average of a dozen guys for over 7 years. We broke something (once) in the priming system of the RL550B, mainly because we had a guy who thought you had to lean on things to make them work. Dillon sent the replacments and a spare set of the same parts for nothing, even though they knew it was a secondhand machine.

I think Mike Dillon walks on water...

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

BTW, the "cheap" Lee measure throws better charges than any of my 4 Lymans and five RCBS measures and their collet dies are as good anything until you get into RCBS or Redding bushing bench rest dies. Own em all and use them all.

Load and shoot, ignore the hype by those who equate money spent with accurate ammo. </div></div>

I have the Lee thrower as well, and I bought it because I figured "for 20 bucks, if it's close enough to trickle loads I'm happy."

What I found was very positive. With ball powders I weighed 100 rounds thown, and only trickled 3, yes. 3 rounds.

With a big lincoln log style powder like RL-22, it will stay within .1grains all day long and I trickle those for my 30-06.

My dad has an RCBS and a Hornady charger and neither is better than the $20 Lee.

The dies are excellent as well, I have dies from everyone but Lyman, and I seat most of my bullets with the Lee dies since they're the easiest to make fine adjustments on.

You can get good or bad equipment from just about any supplier. Some Lee products are as good as you can get. Others, not so much.

It's hard to beat the Lee Classic Cast press. I have asked several times, in pretty public forums, for someone to point out a single advantage that the Rockchucker (which is a fine press) offers over the Lee. Nobody has yet come up with one.

For a long time I had the less expensive Lee press. Busted the toggle links, too. They are cast from zinc. For $11, I replaced those parts with those from the next larger press, and I doubt that it will ever break again. Still, for my money, it's well worth it to have the steel Classic Cast.

Lee makes dies that work just fine. They do have an unfortunate tendency to have minor burrs, one die out of 20% of the sets. Those easily buff out. My decision is that for half the price, and for no difference in ammo quality, and the occasional requirement to fire up the Dremel buffer, Lee dies are an excellent value. I don't think anyone has bested their collet neck crimper.

Their scale sucks canal water.

The Perfect Powder Measure is astonishingly repeatable, especially with ball powder. In rigorous statistical tests, it beat out the Hornady powder dump which is much more nicely made. But when you get it, the first thing you should do is take it apart and check the measuring cylinder for mold flash.

I have no direct experience, but I've often heard that Lee's progressive press is not the high point of engineering excellence.

So, ya pays yer money and ya takes yer pick. It's not a big ethical, religious, or emotional decision. It's a matter of what suits you. Info from a bunch of other users will help improve the odds of success.

My Lee starter set bought 18 years ago
Scale: junk/replaced
Press: still use
Priming tool: still use
Powder throw: Junk/replaced
Manual: still use
Dies: still use, but not a nice as others I have

I like the lee tool for trimming brass to lenth (not included in Kit)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captnmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Greg Langelius I think Mike Dillon walks on water... Greg </div></div> A Dillon 550 is definitely on my wish list for later. [/quote said:
Then you should try a 650 or 1050. Mike and crew are very good people.