• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lee rifle die question: Can you full length resize without the decapper?

Mr. Wolf

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
Heartland
Yes I am a poor and new to reloading, so I am learning on a Lee single press and die sef.
I got a Frankfort Arsenal hand deprimer since it is easier to detect loose primer pockets and keeps my press cleaner.

If I remove the decapping pin/rod from the Lee full length sizing die, will it still function as a full length resizer?
Stated differently, does the decapping pin/rod perform any other function besides popping out the primer in the Lee resizer die?

Thank you in advance.

Yes. With a catch. You will need to run them through a neck sizing mandrel after to size the inside of the neck the same way the expander ball does on the decapping pin pies on the way out of the brass.

Lots of us do it this way, FL size them follow with a mandrel.

Reactions: Mr. Wolf
It has an expander ball in the rod that opens the neck back up. If you remove it you will find that your necks are left woefully undersized for smooth bullet seating.

Reactions: Mr. Wolf
Thank you all, SH reloading forum rocks.
I suspected as much wth the conical top end serving some purpose.
I will probably still decap with the hand deprimer but keep the pin/rod in place.
The larger flash hole in the Alpha OCD brass is playing nice with the Frankfort hand deprimer... Not so much with the Lapua SRP brass.