• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lee Universal Decap Adj Hard AF

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Started depriming tonight with Lee Universal decapper. Pin was loose, wouldn't push out federal un crimped primers. At first I thought bad piece of brass, but it was every one.

You tube. Tighten collet and HOLY CRAP is that thing on tight. I could barely get a quarter turn and that pin is still fairly loose. So I stopped and came looking for help. This was I thought a good purchase but 10 brass down and the pin is loose, and I have to apply so much force to adjust it's damaging the nut and flats

How did I f up this time

from their owners manual

DECAPPING DIE 734307902926 INSTRUCTIONS: Screw decapping die into press until it touches the shell holder and tighten the lock ring finger tight. The decapper is retained by a collet. Should it be overstressed by an obstruction, it simply slides up without damage. To reset, loosen the decapper clamp and position the decapper flush with the clamp end and tighten. Considerable torque force may be necessary. A ½"and ¾" wrench are required. Replacement decapper, order #90783

@ 30 seconds it shows the decapping pin relative flush with the lock nut/collet

i use one and it has never failed me. i've used it on small and large primers and various brands of brass. once set up correctly i'm sure it will work flawlessly. by the way, might you be trying to decap military brass or just regular brass?

Regular brass. Once fired federal GMM. Triple checked everything. The pin is fairly loose in the die, but the tension nut takes an excessive amount of force to tighten or loosen. Less than 1/2 turn and it falls out

Check to see if there is a piece of gunk or a burr in the split of the collet (the nut on back) which prevents clamping all the way. Short of that, is the split collet not gripping? Perhaps the hole is oversized or the pin undersize.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Mine had some oil on the pin that made is almost impossible to get it tight enough to stay in place. I degreased both the pin and collet and tightened the heck out of it. No more problems.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Used to use one of the Lee dies...then moved on to this, and never looked back. Waaaayyyy easier and faster...