• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lee Universal powder funnel getting powder between the case neck and funnel on 338LM

towerofpower93

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2010
Never had a problem with the cheapo Lee universal powder funnel until I started loading 338LM with RL33, and I presume it'll do the same with Retumbo.

As I tap the powder down, I end up with 1-6 kernels trapped on the outside of the case neck, between it and the funnel. When I raise the funnel off the case, these kernels spill everywhere.

Seems less of an issue when I tap straight down on the funnel to get the powder flowing, vice swirling the powder around or tapping the side of the funnel, but it's still annoying.

Cases are all trimmed to correct length, so it isn't a case of a really long neck creating a space for the kernels to slip through, and it works just fine on .223, .308, and 6.5x47L with ball and stick powder. Seems like the 338LM case is just too big and/or long from case body to shoulder to neck for the Lee to create a seal around just the case mouth.

Any suggestions for a new universal funnel this won't happen with? Not looking to drop $40 of a 338LM specific one at this time, but if RCBS, Hornady, or any of the other universal funnels work well with 338LM I'll pick one up.

Thanks much

Area 419 has a set, with changeable heads for different calibers, but its spendy. Personally I think it's worth the $$ but others may not.

Yeah, saw the 419, but was wondering if there's a cheaper/universal funnel that would take up less space on the becnh and take less from my credit card, haha.

Reactions: JimLee
Yeah, saw the 419, but was wondering if there's a cheaper/universal funnel that would take up less space on the becnh and take less from my credit card, haha.
I got you bud, just throwing out some options. Believe me, it's only in the last couple of years I myself could think about spending money on area 419 stuff. That's because my current wife let's me spend my money like its mine, unlike the last three..lol.

Extreme gear funnels are awesome. I can’t plug them up, no matter how fast I pour. I had the Lee funnel also at first. Was always messing with it to get to Powder to flow. Not the extreme funnels.

Extreme gear funnels are awesome. I can’t plug them up, no matter how fast I pour. I had the Lee funnel also at first. Was always messing with it to get to Powder to flow. Not the extreme funnels.

Thanks, never heard of Extreme

If the shoulder of the cheapo funnel (pick your color) is touching the shoulder of your big fat cartridge,
heat a cartridge and touch it to the funnel and waller out the funnel a little.
Or, chamfer the bottom of the funnel.
FREE
I had the opposite with .223 cases. I wore out the center hole and cases would slip into the funnel space.
Bought another but fixed the old one with heat. Rolled the end down in diameter.