• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

left and right impact shifts- What am I doing wrong?

lovetsx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2009
kentucky
What causes laterial left and right impacts. Working up a 6.5 creed load. I started to see a trend. My impacts are dead on with elevation but there is a left and right shift by several inches. This is going to be a hunting load with 100g and 127g TTSX. First started on a lead sled. then moved to chair and shooting sticks. Noticed over an inch differance bewteen the two in elevation. That it is think is recoil managment. Not going to shoot a deer with a lead sled. So was practiceing and working up load on chair and sticks. Noticeing hugh shift back and forth left and right in impact. elevation is allways less than 1/2". SO I think it is me...

inconsistent shoulder pocket?
i wonder if using a jacket or shoulder pad makes that a bit more consistent.

If you are doing EVERYTHING correct and it’s not you then the next step would be to check the scope.

Idk how well you shoot but when I was visiting the Lapua testing center they were shooting a rifle bolted to a massive cement block. They could change the POI by adjusting neck tension. Idk if that’s what you have happening but it was pretty neat to see in person.

I think its me. I am sitting on a stool with stock on shooting stick. Gun was sighted in lead sled. I had shot a deer and was waiting for buddy to come help drag. The pont of impact was not where I had aimed. I was conserned about my 100yrad zero in a lead slead. Stuck a target up. shot ten rounds. First thing I noticed was elevation shift. But that was consistent. It was the lateral shift left and right. There was the coffee, lack of sleep and food, physical exhalation. I couldn't drag it had to call for help. I have been thinking about why its just laterial shift. all ten shots where within 1/2" in elevation.

I think its me. I am sitting on a stool with stock on shooting stick. Gun was sighted in lead sled. I had shot a deer and was waiting for buddy to come help drag. The pont of impact was not where I had aimed. I was conserned about my 100yrad zero in a lead slead. Stuck a target up. shot ten rounds. First thing I noticed was elevation shift. But that was consistent. It was the lateral shift left and right. There was the coffee, lack of sleep and food, physical exhalation. I couldn't drag it had to call for help. I have been thinking about why its just laterial shift. all ten shots where within 1/2" in elevation.

That could be something as simple as just being excited and not having the most stable shooting position.

I wouldn’t beat myself up and I’d prob just call it nerves.

Shoot prone or standing behind a bench.

That will rule out the stool/sticks. If it’s still happening, you can look into the next possible issue.

Reactions: seansmd
What causes laterial left and right impacts. Working up a 6.5 creed load. I started to see a trend. My impacts are dead on with elevation but there is a left and right shift by several inches. This is going to be a hunting load with 100g and 127g TTSX. First started on a lead sled. then moved to chair and shooting sticks. Noticed over an inch differance bewteen the two in elevation. That it is think is recoil managment. Not going to shoot a deer with a lead sled. So was practiceing and working up load on chair and sticks. Noticeing hugh shift back and forth left and right in impact. elevation is allways less than 1/2". SO I think it is me...
Do you use a level on your scope/rifle? Or are you confident you aren’t canting the rifle?

Check your scope base as the screws could be a little loose.

If they are, pull em, clean em, drop some blue (or red if you’re happy with your mount) loctite, torque it, add witness marks, and try again.