• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Left Hand 17 HMR

landtoy80

Sergeant
Minuteman
I switched from right hand to left hand not long ago do to eye dominance and better vision. I sold my right hand bolt action for a left handed one. I switch back and forth shooting the lefty and shoot my sons right hand rifle both left and right eyed. So fare I have not had any problems using either left or right bolt action.

I would like a bolt action 17 HMR and like the SAKO Quad 17 HMR but its a right only rifle.
Would I be better off in the long run finding a left handed 17 HMR or would the right be ok?
It would be mostly for bench shooting.
I have read the pros and cons of lefty shooting right and right shooting lefty but wonder how it works for one that has just switched over?

Re: Left Hand 17 HMR

I use both cause I am a left handed person but I prefer a right handed rifle but if it is a thumbhole i use left hand...the left handed rifles for me feel weird.. I switch between both due to having a left handed 17HMR from Savage but speaking as a left handed person who shoots both hands I prefer a right handed rifle over a lefty.

For bench work/prone to,

it might actually be beneficial to have a rifle "in the wrong way"

ie a tight hand rifle for a leftie.

I have shot a left hand Annie in 17 HMR as a right handed shooter and it has worked real well,

to the point as to I would not think about/be concerned about it.

Lefties in 17 HMR are there others than Annie and Savage that makes them.

/Chris

CZ452 can be had in southpaw... I got one for my boy who's a lefty

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-452-american/

you can pick one up for less than what CZ has listed
wink.gif

If you like the Sako, and you will be using it off the bench, go ahead and get the righty. Position shooting is where the LH bolt is helpful.

I shoot all LH bolts, mostly because I shoot them in all positions. My bench gun is Left bolt, right port gun and it works great from the bench.