• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Left Hand Actions: Who makes them???

AC Power

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2012
Darlington, SC
So I have been running a Stiller TAC30 LH with AW cut for a few years. It’s on the outside edge of tolerance, and I am looking for something smoother for my next build. Curtis was what I really wanted, and I’ve been patiently listening to them say “two more weeks” for 18 months... I’m tired of waiting. So I figured I’d ask the southpaws what you suggest.

Here is my wish list:
1. Must be a 700 footprint to fit my MPA Chassis
2. Must be slick with tight tolerances
3. Prefer 3 lug with < 90 degree bolt throw
4. Prefer interchangeable bolt face
5. Prefer switch lug capable (West Texas can fix that)
6. Need something that is actually available, not promised months out

Recommendations?

Bighorn offers left handed with left or right side ejection port. Interchangeable bolt face.

Defiance does left bolt and left or right side ejection port.

Both are 90 deg 2 lug.

AI does a lefty rifle.

Cases does not offer a lefty.

Not sure about mausingfoeld or impact.

I'm a lefty and run a bighorn TL3 and love it. It's only a 2 lug though...

Checks all of your other boxes though.

Looking seriously at the ARC. Anyone have first hand knowledge???? The Nucleus checks a lot of my boxes but they claim 4-10 weeks on delivery.

Go Bighorn and never look back. So much trouble with arc products it’s comical. I have called Bighorn 5 or 6 times with various questions and a human answers the phone and gets me taken care of immediately.

Like the OP, I wanted a Curtis Vector, or another suitable 3 lug, but realized that would never happen. I ended up with a stiller tac 30 for my first, then found a Bighorn TL3, and I like it a lot more than my Tac 30. I have the WTO Switch lug on it and it's great. I have a Defiance Deviant CIP long action that I'm about ready to have it built out, and it feels real smooth. I'll probably stick a WTO switch lug on that as well.

If you want a lefty immediately, I think Bugholes has some lefty Defiance Deviant Tactical in stock. Altus has a standing order with Bighorn and gets them in every month, though they event had them for a couple months.

Then there is always the AICS AX.

Mile High says they get actions fairly quick, which may mean 4-6 weeks, rather than 4-6 months

Scott

I got my lefty bighorn origin from hunts long range. Very good place to do business and it was in stock. I would look at the origin also all your really giving up on the tl3 is integrated lug, would look at it over the nucleus.

Origin in stock. Bam done.

Keystone Accuracy specializes in left hand rifles. John Scandale runs it and is a former NRA High Power shooter on the National Guard team. He does gas and bolt guns. On the bolt side he offers Big Horn, Curtis and others. I found him through an article on Accurate Shooter, but have not spoken to him yet.

www.keystoneaccuracy.com

Thanks for the info, guys. Keep it coming. I spoke to someone at Kystone. Believe it or not he recommended a slicked up Rem 700, or wait for Curtis. Supposedly the Curtis actions are done, just waiting on the bolts. Decisions - decisions!

Impact offers a lefty once a year when the light of the Moon hits the ass of a west bound mule on the fifth week of the month of February.
I spit my water and literally laughed out loud a gut-busting guffaw! That’s funny right there!!! Sounds very familiar to the Curtis “two more weeks”.

Reactions: shields shtr
I've got two Kelbly's left handed actions. Both function flawlessly, and are a great value for the price.

Reactions: FCrifles
Thanks for the info, guys. Keep it coming. I spoke to someone at Kystone. Believe it or not he recommended a slicked up Rem 700, or wait for Curtis. Supposedly the Curtis actions are done, just waiting on the bolts. Decisions - decisions!

Do you know if they are the Vector or Axiom that are almost done?

thanks,
Scott

Axiom. They supposedly haven’t even written the C&C program for the Vector, which is what I really wanted. I guess the Vector is probably three more weeks??? lol

• Haha
Reactions: A5scott
You can usually find Bighorn in stock which is what I run. Great actions with excellent customer service. Defiance is smoother.

Reactions: FishDr
I spit my water and literally laughed out loud a gut-busting guffaw! That’s funny right there!!! Sounds very familiar to the Curtis “two more weeks”.

You been waiting for a Curtis too? Mine was supposed to be in February 15th...and they have been in radio silence apparently. I had heard some good things about them and have seen a few at local matches and was impressed with how they function. Now I am thinking of jumping ship just on principle. I have two Defiance actions and they have been pretty reliable, but If I am being honest, my Tikka is much "smoother". It just seems like everything in the precision rifle world takes forever to get, measured in years or half years. I going to give Curtis the standard "two more weeks", and then find another option if they can't deliver.

Reactions: Mxridr
There is a shop in my town that has a LH bighorn origin on the shelf. Pm me and i will give you contact info if you are interested

Blaser. Switch from right to left hand in the field. Shoot a prone stage with left for speed, then switch to right for offhand, etc. No POI change.

No other rifle in history can do that.

You been waiting for a Curtis too?
Fortunately, no. Just been watching the angst of a very good left friend go through this drama waiting on a Curtis so he could move on with a new rifle. Very impressed with the product, no so much the service. Went with a bighorn for the interchangeable bolt face and had excellent CS and a very good product. Built it out with a WTO switch lug. Good so far.

Also impact makes more than 1 run a year. I bought 3 last year at different times
Thanks for the heads up on the Impact. That looks like a great (and pricy) product.. Their website says they are taking pre-orders for a lefty run in June. By Curtis’ calendar, that’s about “two weeks” , right?

Thanks for the heads up on the Impact. That looks like a great (and pricy) product.. Their website says they are taking pre-orders for a lefty run in June. By Curtis’ calendar, that’s about “two weeks” , right?
Impact dates seem to be spot on
They are reasonably priced and Tate is great to deal with

Looking seriously at the ARC. Anyone have first hand knowledge???? The Nucleus checks a lot of my boxes but they claim 4-10 weeks on delivery.

I put a deposit down on an ARC Nucleus last week, I’ve already been invoiced for the balance and asked for FFL info. I assume this means the lead time is much less then 4-10 weeks. Waiting to see....

I have a lefty defiance and a lefty Kelbly Black Bear. I’ve also owned a bighorn TL3. If I were to rate them from favorite to least:

1. Kelbly
2. Defiance
3. Bighorn

Although, none of these check all your boxes. Accuracy International AT is about as good as it gets for what you are after.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jrs9898
I have a lefty defiance and a lefty Kelbly Black Bear. I’ve also owned a bighorn TL3. If I were to rate them from favorite to least:

1. Kelbly
2. Defiance
3. Bighorn

Although, none of these check all your boxes. Accuracy International AT is about as good as it gets for what you are after.
So what specifically do you like best about the Kelbly? I’ve seen a good many Bighorns and Deviants, but I’m not familiar with the Kelbly.

Does the Kelbly not require custom fitting in most chassis (MPA) and stocks due to the trigger hanger? I do know that some actions have an issue with that... Not a big deal probably if your ordering from MPA and having them cut the chassis for that action, but if your going to forgo the long wait and buy from a stocking dealer that might be an issue.

Does the Kelbly not require custom fitting in most chassis (MPA) and stocks due to the trigger hanger? I do know that some actions have an issue with that... Not a big deal probably if your ordering from MPA and having them cut the chassis for that action, but if your going to forgo the long wait and buy from a stocking dealer that might be an issue.

I had to have my manners mini chassis milled out to fit the hanger. Manners did the work free of charge though. Also requires some slight modification to the action handle opening.

I’ve read through all these posts and no one has recommended an Ultimatum Deadline. I own two LH actions. They fit literally every one of you points on your list. 3 lug, 60* throw, interchangeable heads, rem700 footprint, savage threads so can be used with their barrel nut and usually always available. (First one they had I stock, second I waited 3 weeks).

I’ve been nothing but happy with mine. I’ve owned Bighorn, Mausingfield, Defiance and AI. This is one of my favorite. Check them out. Also, their price is very competitive compared to the other actions.

Manners customer service is truly amazing.as is their product. I'm not as certain other chassis makers would be as courteous. Just something to consider, the hanger certainly has it's advantages. The disadvantage of the custom inlet was something I considered when I was purchasing as I am an impatient bastard.

I’ve read through all these posts and no one has recommended an Ultimatum Deadline. I own two LH actions. They fit literally every one of you points on your list. 3 lug, 60* throw, interchangeable heads, rem700 footprint, savage threads so can be used with their barrel nut and usually always available. (First one they had I stock, second I waited 3 weeks).

I’ve been nothing but happy with mine. I’ve owned Bighorn, Mausingfield, Defiance and AI. This is one of my favorite. Check them out. Also, their price is very competitive compared to the other actions.

I've never heard of this action company in my life. Maybe I'm living under a rock?

They originally released the U300 action. It had some issues and they since corrected those with this action. They offer two different cocking geometries for whichever you prefer also. And just in case anyone would wonder, I have no affiliation with them. Just a happy customer.

Reactions: prwillard2
I have an arc nucleus in long action magnum bolt. Got in on preorder, took about 10 months to get it. I like it a lot. Had a bighorn tl3. Didn’t like how badly the bolt binded, sold it and now run a defiance deviant. The defiance is awesome! Most action manufactured offers lefty. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another defiance.

So what specifically do you like best about the Kelbly? I’ve seen a good many Bighorns and Deviants, but I’m not familiar with the Kelbly.

The Kelbly doesn't bind as much as the others I mentioned -- both are/were DLC coated also. The Kelbly has a trigger hanger, which is nice if you want to tune/time your trigger and action. Tolerances seam to be tighter (I can't measure them) just going off of feel. I love the TG ejector -- i don't see how it can fail (no springs). The cocking piece and entire firing pin assembly is perfect -- consistent ignition. Kelbly is well known in the benchrest crowed, and those are the guys to look to when it comes to components and accuracy. It shows with their "tactical" actions.

As far as changing barrels -- Kelbly's tolerances are perfect. Call a smith, tell them what you have, have a barrel spun up and sent to your door. Easy swap with a barrel vice and wrench -- no need for bug nuts.

** Note: the Black Bear is their newest model and it is phenomenal -- but it has a square bottom and thick tang which, right now, makes it a bit harder to get a stock/chassis for ** The Atlas Tactical would be an easy drop in for most all chassis/stocks offered.

Last edited:
The Kelbly doesn't bind as much as the others I mentioned -- both are/were DLC coated also. The Kelbly has a trigger hanger, which is nice if you want to tune/time your trigger and action. Tolerances seam to be tighter (I can't measure them) just going off of feel. I love the TG ejector -- i don't see how it can fail (no springs). The cocking piece and entire firing pin assembly is perfect -- consistent ignition. Kelbly is well known in the benchrest crowed, and those are the guys to look to when it comes to components and accuracy. It shows with their "tactical" actions.

As far as changing barrels -- Kelbly's tolerances are perfect. Call a smith, tell them what you have, have a barrel spun up and sent to your door. Easy swap with a barrel vice and wrench -- no need for bug nuts.
I have to disagree on the binding aspect. The defiance doesn’t bind at all. The trigger hanger on the kelbly is very handy for sure. Where defiance really pulls ahead along with impact is the integral recoil lug and integral scope rail. I have had multiple scope rail issues in prs comps and it’s nice to have one more component you know can’t move.

I have to disagree on the binding aspect. The defiance doesn’t bind at all. The trigger hanger on the kelbly is very handy for sure. Where defiance really pulls ahead along with impact is the integral recoil lug and integral scope rail. I have had multiple scope rail issues in prs comps and it’s nice to have one more component you know can’t move.

I should have stated that none of them are bad -- the Kelbly (Black Bear is what I'm using) is just "slicker."

I finally got mine after a 3 month wait... it's really nice quality and plan to get this out soon. I liked the idea of "building" it myself. Shooting it this weekend for the first time. JP is making a chassis for it too.

Seems like almost everyone has a lefty these days including Impact. So does Surgeon. I keep going back to my Defiance's because they're the most comfortable for me. Chase Curtis mentioned an actual time frame to me not too long ago and I think it was some time this spring but I don't remember the actual date.

Or a “few more weeks”. Few being a completely subjective term.

This one was not even on my radar, so thanks for that. I’ll definitely check them out!

Just got a lefty ss Rem 700 off Gunbroker for $333. The guy has 14 left. For that price I had to put another on the shelf lol. Bought Wed and tracking says Monday for delivery. Granted it isn't a custom, but my last 700 build is outshooting me anyway lol.

Just got a lefty ss Rem 700 off Gunbroker for $333. The guy has 14 left. For that price I had to put another on the shelf lol. Bought Wed and tracking says Monday for delivery. Granted it isn't a custom, but my last 700 build is outshooting me anyway lol.
For that price, I would send this to Chad @LRI, and have him put it through their new 5-axis CNC truing. After that and a few dry cycles, I bet you wouldn't know the difference between it and a custom. The only box left un-checked would be the user-changeable bolt face. For the price, you could build a second B/A and just switch the B/A into the chassis. No need for the extra tools and such.
It is truly a good time to be a shooter - options are good!

Do your homework on switch barrel rigs with the lock hardware in front of the action threads. Review poi change after barrel change. AI has different engineering for switch barrel rigs. Not offering neg reviews for anyone’s products, just do your own research. Barrel vices and action wrenches are cheap.

Reactions: mrobles3808
Do your homework on switch barrel rigs with the lock hardware in front of the action threads. Review poi change after barrel change. AI has different engineering for switch barrel rigs. Not offering neg reviews for anyone’s products, just do your own research. Barrel vices and action wrenches are cheap.

I was waiting for curtis action as well I gave up and bought a tikka no regrets, i know it's not rem 700 foot print i had a Stiller before didnt like it

Unless I missed it I didn't see any mention of the Mausingfield. I love mine, and have lots and lots of round through it. never one problem with it. when I ordered it from ARC in late 2017 it took 1 month to get. its really a great action, and it looks to fill every requirement you have Except maybe the bolt throw (83 degrees) Love the controlled round feed, extractor claw, and ejector design.