• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Left Hand Thompson Center

rsplante

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2011
Houston, TX
My son (22yo) is looking to upgrade from his inexpensive and difficult to accessorize Moisen Nagant (price is still a concern for him.) I initially recommended a Remington 700. At the 2013 NRA show, I spoke to a Remington rep who said that the availability of left handed 700s is pretty slim (he is left handed and that is important to him.) At the S&W booth we were both attracted to the Thompson Center rifle. It is readily available in Left Hand, and his first choice of .308. Apparently you can change to any other caliber in a set range for $200 and there are a total of three ranges, the other two of which you can change to with a bolt change ($150). My first thought was "Jack-of-all-trades, master of none"; however, I have since spoken to several people who have nothing but good things to say about this rifle. I shoot black rifles, so I am not familiar enough with bolt guns to say. He will be shooting paper, but hunting may be a possibility in the future. What are the thoughts of this community?

Is he left eye dominant? If he is right eye dominant then try to get him to shoot right handed. I am left handed and shoot left hand bolts. Remington’s are out there. You just have to look a little bit. They do hold their price fairly well. I guess the ones in 7mmRM do not.

I have not tried the TC rifle so I can not say anything about it.

Welcome your son to the frustrating world of being left handed. ;) I can't say much of the TC, I've never shot or handled one. From what I've seen is that they are more geared toward the hunting crowd, which may bring forth some frustration when target shooting. My thoughts being 1. skinny barrel will heat up quicker 2. light weight might kick a little more 3. "Hunting" stock may or may not have issues while prone etc.

As stated above, LH rifles usually do hold value a little better just because there are fewer out there (& most of us are used to paying a premium when we do find them). Don't over look Savage, if it wasn't for them I might not be the enthusiast I am now. They were almost it for LH rifles that weren't crazy expensive when I was growing up.

Cruise the used sections, every once in a while a real gem can be found.

t

Savage makes a few lefties that are much more budget friendly imho. They can be found online pretty consitently at below MSRP. I can attest to the fact the heavy barrel ones are sub-moa out of the box.