• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Left Handed Bolt Knobs and Schmidt & Bender Scope compatibility...

Victor Co Heather

Victor Company USA
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2006
SOCAL USA
www.victorcompanyusa.com
Hey Lefites,

I get a ton of people asking me questions about my Left Handed rigs and illuminated S&B Scope compatibility. There are rumors that S&Bs won't work with LH bolt rigs so it's understandable no one wants to shell out all that money for a custom LH rifle and scope to just to find out the two won't work together.

Well I'm here to say they will work together… but there is a slight concession, you will have to hold the bolt differently than your right-handed brethren.

Below are two left handed rigs- the tan one is a GAP built LH Nesika (Remy 700 style) action. The black one is a LH AIAW 308. (Accuracy International Arctic Warfare). Many people mock the AI bolt handle as 'bent' or 'crooked' but if you are a lefty, it makes all the difference in the world.

On the GAP is mounted an illuminated S&B 4-16x and on the AW is an illuminated S&B 5-25x. It doesn't matter what magnification, all S&Bs put the illum knob in the same place.

S&B puts their illumination knob on the left side of their tube, directly where a LH bolt knob travels and CAN impact the cycling the bolt. The solution is to mount the scope about a half inch forward (which should not affect your eye relief or LOP) and the bolt will clear.

The rub is if you are shooting a Remy 700 style bolt, there is VERY LITTLE clearance between the illumination knob and the bolt. So this means when you cycle the bolt, you had better move your index finger to the side or behind the bolt when slamming it home, because if you don't…. there will be spitting, swearing, swelling and maybe even some blood. (go ahead, ask me how I know.)

If you do this when closing the bolt on a LH gun with an Illuminated S&B you will see stars.

Rather you should hold the bolt this way..

On the LH AW, you can see there is much more room due to the angled bolt knob:

You can even hold the bolt with two fingers wrapped around the AW and run it without impacting the illumination knob.

Hope this helps my left-handed friends.

MV

Last edited:
MV,

Thanks so much for posting this as we have PMed over the past couple of days. I as a lefty appreciate the fact we are not only challenged to run some of the top tier gear but if we can get a left handed set-up it usually takes twice as long.

I hope the brain trusts at S&B are listening as I would love to have factory installed retro fit kit to convert the rheostat to a digital push button like the USO's have to give more clearance.
Everybody copied the MTC that USO came out with (first I believe) and now lets make a an easier way to retain the illumination on a 3.5k optic.

But seriously I'm glad the 700 Action and S&B can be ran together as I have both on the way.....

Once again thanks,...

MV

What I always did was pull the bolt, put it in a vise, heat it with a torch then bend a bit right at the knob.

Found this - nice post - something useful when trying to consider whether to shoot lefty or suck it up and use a wrong sided rifle.

Awesome write up. I totally second what Michael said. I've mounted an S&B on a GAP 308 (templar short action) and currently have a 3-20 S&B mounted on a GAP 300WM (templar long action) with zero issues. Yes, you have to be mindful of the way you manipulate the bolt but it's not a big deal. Sure would be nice if BO would start making a lefty long action again!