• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Left-handed custom builds

airixaccount

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2021
Portland, OR
So, I am completely new to bolt-action rifles (I usually just shoot ARs so far, so please correct me if and where I am wrong).

Are there left-handed chassis that can be converted from short to long action and vice versa? I was originally going to start with something like 6.5 Creedmoor but wanted the opportunity to graduate to larger calibers utilizing the same chassis. I know brands like Desert Tech have systems that allow you to do this, but I guy at the range was convincing me to build my own.

Thank you in advance.

I was looking at an accuracy international for multiple calibers.
I ended up going with a bighorn tl3. You can run short action magnums down to 223 rem.
All it takes is the switch of the barrel and bolt head. Pretty easy and way less cash to start out.
Any good smith can spin up a shouldered barrel for you.

I am not familiar with Desert Tech, but in MOST custom actions it is not possible to go from 6.5 CM (which is a short action) to something like a .300 Win Mag (which is a long action). Typically you need to select either a short action or a long action, up front, depending on your cartridge of choice.

However, as Dogsniper referenced, many action makers, like Bighorn/Zermatt, have interchangeable bolt heads that support different cartridges. In the Zermatt TL3 short action, there are options for small (.380), standard (.478), magnum (.535), or Valkyrie/PPC bolt heads. Small is for .223 and similar cartridges, standard is for 6mm, 6.5mm, .308 and similar cartridges, and magnum would be for the short action magnum cartridges. The barrel would then need to match the bolt head/cartridge selected.

For example, I am in the process of building a left hand .223 rifle. I went with the Zermatt Origin, left hand, short action, with a .380 bolt face. It will be fitted to a barrel chambered in .223 Remington.

In the future, I could retain the same action and move to a chambering like the 6.5 CM by changing out the bolt head to the .478 model and fitting a new barrel chambered in 6.5 CM. As mentioned, one of the short action magnums would also be possible with the magnum bolt head and matching barrel.

Last edited:
I just bought a Lefty Desert Tech A1 SRS from a Hide member .... and have already switched from .308 to 300wm and then to .338LM. Shoots 1/2 MOA with factory match rounds and DT barrels. Love this rifle .....