• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

left handed shooter

rmbgreen

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2009
South Carolina
I have always bought rifles off the shelf that were right handed. I just ordered a GAP Crusader rifle. I am thinking of keeping it right handed but not sure what to do.
What would be the advantage and disadvantage of having a left handed bolt action

Re: left handed shooter

If you have always shot right handed rifles,you may not be comfortable with a left handed rifle. You should probably shoot a left handed rifle and see how it feels. I would try to figure it out soon so you can get exactly what you want on your new custom. Thats the beauty of a custom,get it however you want it.

thats how I feel I am use to right handed. In some competitions they have timed events would using a left haded bolt work better

Only if you can work a left handed bolt faster than a right handed one. Sounds like you might want to spend a little time with a left handed rifle and see which one you like better. Dont let someone tell you whats better for you. Shoot both and make the call yourself.

I say find someone with a left handed bolt gun and give it a try. I know left handers who bought a left handed rifle and sold it a few months later to go buy a right handed one. Just because they werent comfortable operating it because they always used right handed rifles and just couldnt or didnt want to adapt.

I'm left handed and have shot right handed rifles all my life. I own two left handed bolt guns and it just feels weird to work the bolt. I also just ordered a Crusader less than two weeks ago and I ordered mine in right hand.

i'm a lefty and all the guns i shoot are righty except for my savage. i like my precision bolt guns with lefty bolts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot a right hand bolt only for Parie dogs. If I am going hunting I use a left hand bolt. Even when it is for long range shooting. </div></div>

Me too, except instead of dogs it's steel and paper. Took me years to figure out it's much more comfortable to shoot off the bench or prone with a righty rifle. Was shooting my lefty Savage off the bench on Sunday and it felt weird.

If you are a left handed shooter, it is a fact that you can do everything quicker shooting a RH rifle with the exception of positional shooting. So if you ever plan on shooting tactical competition events, a RH rifle for a LH shooter (and vis versa) is the smarter move.

Like most lefties I grew up shooting right handed rifles. But now days I will only shoot lefty rifles in comps.
At my very first comp I learned what a disadvantage this could be for a lefty. One stage we had to shoot 5 submoa dots at 100y in 20 seconds. As a lefty I had to take my right hand off my rear bag (which changed my sight picture) work the bolt, go back to the rear bag, readjust, and then fire. Needless to say I ran out of time. If I run the same drill these days with my lefty rifle then by the time my left hand is back on the trigger I have adjusted the rifle/rear bag and am ready for the shot.
Another problem for lefties is shooting positional with a right handed rifle. It takes more time and you lose sight of the target everytime you work the bolt. You have to shoot, lay the gun over, work the bolt, then reaquire the target. With a lefty rifle you just shoot, keep looking through your scope at the target, work the bolt and are back on target ready to fire when your finger gets back to the trigger.

Honestly, look at it this way, if shooting backwards had an advantage then all the right-handed shooters at comps would be shooting lefty rifles!

If it was me, I would call GAP and tell them to make it a lefty Crusader....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are a left handed shooter, it is a fact that you can do everything quicker shooting a RH rifle with the exception of positional shooting.</div></div>
You may be able to shoot quicker in terms of the fact that your finger never leaves the trigger. However, to really get set for the shot the right hand has to come back and reset somewhere on the gun or rearbag, which costs you just as much time if not more....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> So if you ever plan on shooting tactical competition events, a RH rifle for a LH shooter (and vis versa) is the smarter move. </div></div>
If this were true then we'd see all the righties running left handed bolt rifles....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Honestly, look at it this way, if shooting backwards had an advantage then all the right-handed shooters at comps would be shooting lefty rifles!

If it was me, I would call GAP and tell them to make it a lefty Crusader.... </div></div>

I totally agree. I'm asked why I don't shoot a RH rifle at least one time at every match... And my answer to the RH person is always the same. If it's such an advantage for a lefty to shoot a RH rifle, why aren't they shooting a LH rifle? Prone is the only time I can see using a RH bolt as an advantage and even then, I'm quicker with a LH bolt. Positional? Forget about it. IMO, it takes too long to cycle the bolt and reacquire the target because, for me anyway, you have to come off your rifle.

Personally, I shot enough RH bolt guns when I first started shooting to know I'm a heckuva lot quicker and much more comfortable with a LH bolt gun, but I know plenty of LH shooters who would rather have a RH bolt gun. To each their own I guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are a left handed shooter, it is a fact that you can do everything quicker shooting a RH rifle with the exception of positional shooting.</div></div>
You may be able to shoot quicker in terms of the fact that your finger never leaves the trigger. However, to really get set for the shot the right hand has to come back and reset somewhere on the gun or rearbag, which costs you just as much time if not more....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> So if you ever plan on shooting tactical competition events, a RH rifle for a LH shooter (and vis versa) is the smarter move. </div></div>
If this was true then we'd see all the righties running left handed bolt rifles....</div></div>

Actually, you're wrong on both accounts. First, you don't "need" to get set for the shot, especially with movers. If you're in the correct position you don't need a off hand on the stock. What if you don't have a rear bag or anywhere to rest the butt of the rifle? Then you're really screwed if you have to take your hand off the trigger and butt to cycle the bolt. Please tell me THAT is not time consuming.

Second, LH shooters are few an far between as are LH rifles. I would venture to say that if more RH shooters started shooting LH rifles, you would see more in production. It's strictly a numbers and availability aspect. It has nothing to do with the fact that it's a smarter move. If I was shooting RH, I wouldn't shoot a RH rifle.

I would challenge anyone who thinks they are quicker to an accuracy cycling race. Oh, and let's do it prone and awkward positions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, you're wrong on both accounts. First, you don't "need" to get set for the shot, especially with movers.</div></div>
I'm wrong? I guess it's just because I'm not as good a shot as you, I still have to get set when I shoot, if even just for a split second....I can't just one arm it like you....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're in the correct position you don't need a off hand on the stock.</div></div>
Again you are correct, I just need to work on shooting with only one hand on the rifle while I wave with the other....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What if you don't have a rear bag or anywhere to rest the butt of the rifle?</div></div>
Thats where I would use my right hand, it has nothing else to do because it's not having to cycle a bolt....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I would venture to say that if more RH shooters started shooting LH rifles, you would see more in production.</div></div>
I hope you're correct. If I ever need to sell these lefty rifles, then I hope some righty will jump at the chance to buy themselves a backward rifle because it would give them such a huge advantage....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would challenge anyone who thinks they are quicker to an accuracy cycling race. Oh, and let's do it prone and awkward positions. </div></div>
Again, I'm sure you can cycle rounds quicker than anyone....the question would be the level of accuracy with only your left hand supporting the rear of the rifle while you aim and squeeze the trigger....

Mike, I really didn't mean to start something. Us lefties have enough crap to put up with in this right-handed world to be arguing with each other!:)
I just really believe that a lefty will like a lefty rifle better... or that has been my experience. I didn't want the OP to buy a $4000 rifle and a month later wish he had got the lefty....which is what happened to me when I started shooting competitions.

I like my left handed rifles. I find it easier for me to work the bolt and with trigger time I've been able to shoot them just as fast as I can shoot a right handed rifle. One major plus to being left handed and shooting a left handed rifle is reloads are easier. I always fumbled when trying to reload a right handed rifle quickly. But that's just me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Mike said:
If this were true then we'd see all the righties running left handed bolt rifles.... </div></div>

BINGO!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Mike said:
If this were true then we'd see all the righties running left handed bolt rifles.... </div></div>

BINGO!</div></div>

Not if LH rifles aren't readily available or plentiful.

BINGO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lucks, when we see each other we can discuss and I'm sure you'll see what I'm talking about. </div></div>

Thanks Mike. Sounds good. Perhaps I'll see you at the Cup next month.

I had a Rem 700 LH varmint in .308. It took me a while to sell it when I was selling it.(I know I know, NEVER never sell a gun once you own it.)
wink.gif

But, if you can "predict" the future, and be pretty positive you'll keep the gun, I'd say go lefty. I'm left eye dominant, so I shoot rifle left, handgun right(pushed in front of my left eye.)

If this is a rifle that will be a toy for a few years, speaking *STRICTLY* from re-sale standpoint alone, then I may suggest go to a righty. The numbers I've heard from various sources(stores, forums, trainings) are that about 10% of shooters are lefty. As a business, to cater to 10% of the market can be costly to re-tool and such.(I'm not a factory engineer, but it would have to be somewhat costly?)

*MY OPINION ONLY HERE!* My opinion and $1 you can buy a soda at the 7-11 store!(it costs a dollar BTW!) I think from a positional shooting(sitting, kneeling, standing, rested against a tree) the lefty would be better. Leave your support/reaction side hand on the foregrip of the rifle for a sturdy platform, use your left hand to cycle bolt and/or reload, bring hand back up once bolt forward, establish grip/trigger and ready to go. Having a right-hand rifle, all other things being equal, you'd have to reach over the scope, blocking your field of vision, cycle the bolt in an awkward manner. OR. . . you try and secure the rifle with your left hand at the grip, use your reaction hand to cycle the bolt, and have a lot of weight pulling down on you.

But just my $.02. In the end, you'll make your equipment work for you, and very VERY hopefully you won't work against your equipment.

Best of luck!!!

-G45

Wow, what I've read today blows me away! Being a lefty an having to shoot a right handed rifle for most of my life I was awestruck when I got my first rifle with a LH configuration. There are so many frigging reasons to go to a portsided rifle I'm amazed you would even ask. The only time firing a RH rifle LH is an advantage is in Benchrest matches. At one time in the not to distant past if you were left handed you could forget about an anvanced marksmenship unit. You had to be the second coming of Alvin York to get into a training program. They would tell commands that very statement. Thing about follow up shots, brass ejection power gas all blowing back into your face. The distraction of brass ejection alone causes problems. Screw the right side bro buy a lefty were you actually belong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robot Doc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, what I've read today blows me away! Being a lefty an having to shoot a right handed rifle for most of my life I was awestruck when I got my first rifle with a LH configuration. There are so many frigging reasons to go to a portsided rifle I'm amazed you would even ask. The only time firing a RH rifle LH is an advantage is in Benchrest matches. At one time in the not to distant past if you were left handed you could forget about an anvanced marksmenship unit. You had to be the second coming of Alvin York to get into a training program. They would tell commands that very statement. Thing about follow up shots, brass ejection power gas all blowing back into your face. The distraction of brass ejection alone causes problems. Screw the right side bro buy a lefty were you actually belong.</div></div>

Don't take this personally, but you don't know what you are talking about. There are zero advantages to shooting a LH rifle from a LH position, with the exception of "positional" shooting, and even then, I've been able to do that very well.

Brass ejection and gas blowing in your face?!? If you're distracted by brass you need to concentrate on your target and gas blowing back in your face?? When? When you overload a round and blow a primer?

I'm going to make a video and put this to rest because some of these "reasons" for a "same eye, same bolt" rifle do not make sense.

Here's a small list of what you cannot do running a RH bolt as a LH shooter (and vis versa) in no particular order:

Cycle the bolt without taking your finger off the trigger
follow up shots without taking your eye off the target, i.e. movers
Check the chamber for a round without breaking your cheekweld (visual confirmation)
correct any misfeeds without breaking your cheekweld
Shoot the rifle with an unsupported rear stock (while cycling the bolt)
Check your windage dope (if you dial) without breaking your position.

and the list goes on....

and here's a question. Why do some of the high-end BR action manufactures make an opposite bolt/port configuration, i.e., RH bolt with a LH port? Is it possible it's to help offset some of the issues such as checking your chamber and dealing with problems without having to go on the other side of your rifle?

What are the advantages of a LH shooter shooting a LH rifle?

"and here's a question. Why do some of the high-end BR action manufactures make an opposite bolt/port configuration, i.e., RH bolt with a LH port? Is it possible it's to help offset some of the issues such as checking your chamber and dealing with problems without having to go on the other side of your rifle?"

Here's the reason, the convenience of looking at the chamber as your putting the round into it. That's it, for any other firing situation there is no advantage for opposite side chamber porting. everything else is BS. Nothing personal about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robot Doc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
"and here's a question. Why do some of the high-end BR action manufactures make an opposite bolt/port configuration, i.e., RH bolt with a LH port? Is it possible it's to help offset some of the issues such as checking your chamber and dealing with problems without having to go on the other side of your rifle?"

Here's the reason, the convenience of looking at the chamber as your putting the round into it. That's it, for any other firing situation there is no advantage for opposite side chamber porting. everything else is BS. Nothing personal about it.
</div></div>

So if I'm shooting a top loader in a tac comp, or a BR comp, there's an advantage to being able to see into the chamber? Hmm.

But everything else is BS? I guess you don't shoot very many tactical comps.

In fact, why don't you come out to Steel City tomorrow with JRose and I and we can talk about it and take a look?

To the OP....from my experience being left-handed and making the switch to lefty rifles....

I do miss being able to look into the action if needed as a lefty shooter running a right handed rifle.
Due to this, if I was a benchrest or F-class shooter I would probably run a right handed rifle...single feeding and watching each bullet load.

Instead, I like to shoot tactical precision rifle matches, and to me the advantages of a left handed rifle greatly out ways my enjoyment of being able to watch each bullet load.

To really see the advantages of a left handed rifle you will have to get over the two things that initially make us cling to our right handed rifles:
First, you have to get past the need to watch each bullet load, which is kind of tough because we've been able to peek in the action all our lives while shooting right handed rifles. Really if you think about it though, watching each bullet load will just break your concentration and waste time in a tactical match.
Second, you will have to get past the initial awkwardness of having to learn how to run a bolt with your left hand. At first you might think you were much faster running a right handed rifle until you spend enough time to master running a lefty bolt. Don't worry, it doesn't take long until it comes naturally.:) Once, you learn you will see that you can shoot just as fast and usually with a greater degree of accuracy because your right hand is now free to just support the rifle.

Hope this helps, if you have any specific questions feel free to shoot me a PM.

Lucks,
How many national tactical matches have you competed in?

Because I guarantee you at every tac match I've been to, and it's been quite a few, you are guaranteed to see two things. 1) someone will have a feeding issue with their rifle. It usually happens on the mover stage, and they wont know it until it's too late. And 2) you're hear a pin drop on an empty chamber because a mag wasn't seated well and the bolt slid right over the top instead of feeding a round.
When you go to the Cup, we'll keep track of how many times this happens and you'll see the advantage of being able to watch your chamber is for more than BR vanity.

Go to one of Jacob's training classes and drop a pin on an empty chamber. Note what Jacob says because it is not pleasant.

I hate to use the word "never", but as a LH shooter I would "never" shoot a LH rifle if given any choice at all if the rifle was going to be used for tac comps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lucks,
How many national tactical matches have you competed in? </div></div>

Oh geez, do you want to just break out the ruler and measure dicks?
How many national tactical matches have you shot using a left handed rifle?
Probably none. I have shot major matches with both right hand and left handed rifles and I think lefty is the better way to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Because I guarantee you at every tac match I've been to, and it's been quite a few, you are guaranteed to see two things. 1) someone will have a feeding issue with their rifle. It usually happens on the mover stage, and they wont know it until it's too late. And 2) you're hear a pin drop on an empty chamber because a mag wasn't seated well and the bolt slid right over the top instead of feeding a round.
When you go to the Cup, we'll keep track of how many times this happens and you'll see the advantage of being able to watch your chamber is for more than BR vanity.</div></div>
Sorry, I'm not going to run a backwards rifle that inhibits me in so many ways just so I can look in the chamber if I short stroke a round....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Go to one of Jacob's training classes and drop a pin on an empty chamber. Note what Jacob says because it is not pleasant.</div></div>
I'm sure he yells at all the righties,
"Get a left handed rifle so you can see the bullet feed for fuck sake!!!!"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lucks,
How many national tactical matches have you competed in? </div></div>

Oh geez, do you want to just break out the ruler and measure dicks?

<span style="font-weight: bold">No, I want to know how many matches you've shot in. It's not a dick measuring contest, it's a credibility measurement.
</span>
How many national tactical matches have you shot using a left handed rifle?
<span style="font-weight: bold">
Why would I? There is ZERO benefit to it.</span>

Probably none. I have shot major matches with both right hand and left handed rifles and I think lefty is the better way to go.

<span style="font-weight: bold">What "major" matches?</span>

When you go to the Cup, we'll keep track of how many times this happens and you'll see the advantage of being able to watch your chamber is for more than BR vanity.</div></div>

Sorry, I'm not going to run a backwards rifle that inhibits me in so many ways just so I can look in the chamber if I short stroke a round....

<span style="font-weight: bold">What makes the rifle "backwards"? Where are all the "benefits" of running a LH rifle as a LH shooter? All I am asking is for you to cite any and you haven't. All you've said is that you've shot both and you think an LH rifle is the way to go. Answer the question "WHY?"</span>

Go to one of Jacob's training classes and drop a pin on an empty chamber. Note what Jacob says because it is not pleasant.</div></div>

I'm sure he yells at all the righties,
"Get a left handed rifle so you can see the bullet feed for fuck sake!!!!"

<span style="font-weight: bold">No, what he yells is to check the chamber to ensure you have a round loaded. But you knew that already because it's MUCH easier to try and fumble and feel the round rather than open your eye and look without moving an iota.</span>

</div></div>

I'm done. You win. In your infinite wisdom and experience you've shown by your multiple examples that a LH rifle is better for a LH shooter than a RH rifle despite all logic and proof to the contrary.

I'll look forward to your and your LH rifle's podium finish at the Cup.

Mike, you are obviously passionate about the advantages of a lefty shooting a right handed rifle.
I'm done also, didn't ever want this to turn into an argument and I guess I started it by quoting you first....didn't mean to call you out or start anything. Lesson learned.

Honestly, now I''m thinking this guy had it right from the start.....
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dimar1492</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only if you can work a left handed bolt faster than a right handed one. Sounds like you might want to spend a little time with a left handed rifle and see which one you like better. Dont let someone tell you whats better for you. Shoot both and make the call yourself. </div></div>

Although highly unlikely, I hope you do see me on the podium at the Cup someday....:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Although highly unlikely, I hope you do see me on the podium at the Cup someday....:)</div></div>

It got off track. I am passionate because I feel strongly about what I do...as I am sure you do as well.

I do hope I see you up there. But I do hope it's with a RH rifle :p

Mike

BTW, the offer still stands to talk about it when we see each other.

Okay, IF/THEN logic:

If a right handed rifle is so much better for a left handed shooter....then why are not ALL right handed shooters then seeking left handed rifles for the same reasons?

Too funny.....

Trying to shoot a RH rifle lefthanded from prone with forearm support and trying to keep the snow or mud out of the barrel is tough. I never liked reaching over the scope.

Trying to shoot from sitting and work the bolt with your right hand really throws the muzzle direction off, changes position, and slows me down.

Shooting a RH action from the bench works better though.

Having had to switch to lefty because of an eye infection, I'll just comment that if you try switching back and forth between R and L handled rifles, you'll get confused in the heat of the moment as to which you have in front of you and will misfeed (or try to do so) a cartridge or two. Don't ask how I know. Be consistent in your practice and procedure is my advice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, the offer still stands to talk about it when we see each other. </div></div>

Sounds good...good luck to you and hopefully we can visit at the Cup next month.

greenron,
Here's my personal experience (I'll leave all the rest of the babble I've read here to the internet "experts").

For the first several years of deployments I of course had issued weapons geared to right handed shooters. When many lefties were allowed to freelance the weapons they carried and used we either did it on our own or through the help of the armorers. My, and let me use the term, "relaxed success rate" became much better when I could comfortably use a left handed weapon, an as many of us know being relaxed and comfortable is a great advantage when projectiles are coming back at you.

Hopefully your usage will never be more than competition, paper, pleasure and sports hunting. I'd recommend get a left handed rifle.

P.S. In reference to one of the previous statements, from 1974 to 1978 I was a member of the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit, shooting left handed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MSG Jano</div><div class="ubbcode-body">greenron,
Here's my personal experience (I'll leave all the rest of the babble I've read here to the internet "experts").

For the first several years of deployments I of course had issued weapons geared to right handed shooters. When many lefties were allowed to freelance the weapons they carried and used we either did it on our own or through the help of the armorers. My, and let me use the term, "relaxed success rate" became much better when I could comfortably use a left handed weapon, an as many of us know being relaxed and comfortable is a great advantage when projectiles are coming back at you.

Hopefully your usage will never be more than competition, paper, pleasure and sports hunting. I'd recommend get a left handed rifle.

P.S. In reference to one of the previous statements, from 1974 to 1978 I was a member of the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit, shooting left handed. </div></div>

laffin'

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Mike said:

BINGO!</div></div>

BINGO </div></div>

????

But they are.

BMT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MSG Jano</div><div class="ubbcode-body">greenron,

P.S. In reference to one of the previous statements, from 1974 to 1978 I was a member of the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit, shooting left handed. </div></div>

laffin' </div></div>

Seriously?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Mike said:

BINGO!</div></div>

BINGO </div></div>

????

But they are.

BMT</div></div>

Please prove your point. Contact Remington and see what their manufacturing number are for RH M700 vs. LH. Because in all of the gun stores I have gone into in three different states, I can count on one hand how many LH models I've seen.

Please prove your point. Contact Remington and see what their manufacturing number are for RH M700 vs. LH. Because in all of the gun stores I have gone into in three different states, I can count on one hand how many LH models I've seen. </div></div>

I've seen people wait months for a custom action. I ordered my LH 700 and it came in less than 10 days. So I don't think they're unobtainable by any means.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roy Park</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Please prove your point. Contact Remington and see what their manufacturing number are for RH M700 vs. LH. Because in all of the gun stores I have gone into in three different states, I can count on one hand how many LH models I've seen. </div></div>

I've seen people wait months for a custom action. I ordered my LH 700 and it came in less than 10 days. So I don't think they're unobtainable by any means. </div></div>

Where did I say a LH action was "unobtainable"? I said I don't see them. I'm sure the ratio is >5:1 however I'm waiting on Remington to get back with me.

Also, to my point, you had to order a LH action. Why? Were there RH actions in stock?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roy Park</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I've seen people wait months for a custom action. I ordered my LH 700 and it came in less than 10 days. So I don't think they're unobtainable by any means. </div></div>

Where did I say a LH action was "unobtainable"? I said I don't see them. I'm sure the ratio is >5:1 however I'm waiting on Remington to get back with me.

Also, to my point, you had to order a LH action. Why? Were there RH actions in stock?</div></div>

I'm just saying if it was SUCH a huge advantage, would people not wait 10 days for the rifle they wanted? I mean people wait months for custom actions. Why wouldn't they all get LH actions if what you're claiming is correct? That was my only point, that your argument that LH action unavailability is why RH shooters don't use LH actions is invalid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roy Park</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'm just saying if it was SUCH a huge advantage, would people not wait 10 days for the rifle they wanted? I mean people wait months for custom actions. Why wouldn't they all get LH actions if what you're claiming is correct? That was my only point, that your argument that LH action unavailability is why RH shooters don't use LH actions is invalid.</div></div>

It's an advantage, it's not a huge advantage. It's enough to warrant discussion however.

You're making an assumption about my reasoning turning this topic into a different discussion. The initial point was that if LH actions were AS available as RH actions, and the plethora of RH shooters had a choice on which action to learn on, or rather they had the opportunity to initiate their learning on a LH action (for RH shooters) they would be better off with a LH action (for a RH shooter) and visa versa.

When I learned to shoot a bolt action rifle LH actions were virtually non-existent.

I'm a lefty and as much as I like shooting prone with a right handed bolt all my rifles are left handed bolts. Something just feels right with the left hand bolt.

You also got it in 10 days because most people aren't asking for them nearly as much as RH models.

I'm cross dominant (left eyed, right handed) and prefer right handed bolts. Have 1 left handed bolt gun, but the rest are right and that's generally all I shoot.