• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

left or right hand

jspringer

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2009
hello all,

i am a left hand shooter and want to purchase a a custom rifle from gap. is it really worth the extra $250 to get it in the left hand variant or should i just order a right hand model and deal with it? any suggestions?

Re: left or right hand

If it's going to be used from a bipod most of the time RH is actually better. You can see the loading port, and run the bolt, load, etc, all without disturbing your shooting hand position.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it's going to be used from a bipod most of the time RH is actually better. You can see the loading port, and run the bolt, load, etc, all without disturbing your shooting hand position. </div></div>

Exactly what MM said, however if you are going to use in a other ways also it will suck for you.

I am a lefty and this has been asked many times but I would never buy a LH bolt gun. Just does not feel right to me. I just got done with my first Tactical comp and I did not see where I was at a disadvantage at all.There was A LOT of positional shooting.

I work at a sniper school and am left handed because I am a right hand amputee. It throws my sight picture off when I try to reach over the gun to rack the bolt. I am all about the left handed bolt. Also loading sucks with a right handed bolt gun when you are on the scope because you have to take out from under the stock to load it. Hope this helps

As a lefty I've never regretted buying a LH rifle. I have regretted buying RH rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a lefty and this has been asked many times but I would never buy a LH bolt gun. Just does not feel right to me. I just got done with my first Tactical comp and I did not see where I was at a disadvantage at all.There was A LOT of positional shooting. </div></div>

I'm a lefty too but have had the opposite experience.

While in the prone position, shooting a right-handed rifle for me is fine but then using a sling it gets very awkward an slow to cycle the bolt... I have to unsling, reach over the top to the right side with my left hand and cycle the bolt, taking my eye off the scpe and the rifle from my shoulder. Then I have to quickly reshoulder and find my target... not fun.

I've lost a lot of points in competitions because of this.

I am a lefty also and I like the RH action from the bench or prone.
Hunting can be a different story. It is hard to run the bolt with the rifle shouldered. I can do it but loose the scope pic.
Lever actions work well for leftys for short range hunting.

For all the lefties that so ardently stated they would never buy a left bolt rifle
Most bench shooters now shoot left bolt left port or variations on that but very few build dedicated match rifle in right bolt config.

However only from bench or prone does it make sense, anything else would be better served with a left bolt config for a left eye dominate shooter.

With bolt on correct side for shooter,
follow up shots will be quicker and require less movement, however if shooting AR type platform non issue shooting right eject.

There ya have it
Your coin spend as ya see fit.

Go with your eye dominance. If you are left hand, left eye, do the lefty rifle no questions. If you shoot left hand because you are left eye dominant, but actually right handed, go with a right-handed bolt action. Yes, running a bolt while shooting off-hand or sitting is a PITA, but unless you are a weany and shooting a 25lb rifle, its very doable. Its practice, practice, that helps you re-acquire site picture. You may lose some points standing (or not), but you will gain points on movers or rapid fire drills if you are concerned about match scores. For hunting - I can acquire a site picture pretty quick from a muzzle down stance through practice.

You never see right handed shooters buying left handed actions, there's a reason for that... the advantage goes to staying on the side which you are dominant. If you are a lefty, buy a left handed action.

I am left handed I shoot both right and left handed rifles. i personal like a right handed bolt. It is easier to manipulate when in a prone , however off hand shooting is a whole differant animal.

If it is going to be used for hunting i would stick with the left bolt this will give you an easier reload. But its your money and your rifle what ever you feel comfortable with behind the trigger.

I shoot lefty because I am left I dominant. but I do everything else right handed. I shoot everything left handed carbine pistol rifle and i buy only right hand fire arms. Get some good glasses for the flying brass other than that i see no disadvantages.

I'm right handed but have no right eye so I have to shoot left handed, however I've always done so with right handed rifles. I just haven't gotten around to building myself a left handed one. I will one of these days though.