• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Legacy sports drop in mag conversions

TommyD11730

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
Hey guys just wondering if anyone has used the Legacy Sports drop in BM/mag conversion kit? A member here was kind enough to send me one.
I was hesitant to try it as my pet load is WAY longer then mag length. Also the bottom "metal" being plastic you have to decrease the torque on the action screws.
Loaded up some rounds "mag lenght" and will try them before the install, just to see if they will group. If they do then Ill do the swap and see what the reduced torque does to the point of aim.
So, anyone useing one?

I had a kit I was going to install but after handling it decided to go with the magpul kit. The magpul does take a little work with a Dremel but once you're done you can use regular mags instead of proprietary Legacy ones. Neither of them seem like they would live up to hard use (especially the Legacy one) but if you just want to be able to mag feed from a bench it should be ok. On reviews that I've seen it looks to work decent- but a fair number report that they have broken them.

I have one, it functions perfectly no feeding issues. It does limit COAL, in my .308 right around 2.79. I have shot matches with it, dropped the mag in mud, etc. Easy to clean. For the money its great. It is plastic so its not going to be as tough as steel. Still I may end up going with something that allows a longer COAL but not sure yet.

Reactions: CoyoteConquest
I saw one from Waterman Rifles out of AUS last night. Metal bottom metal uses AICS.

I had a kit I was going to install but after handling it decided to go with the magpul kit. The magpul does take a little work with a Dremel but once you're done you can use regular mags instead of proprietary Legacy ones. Neither of them seem like they would live up to hard use (especially the Legacy one) but if you just want to be able to mag feed from a bench it should be ok. On reviews that I've seen it looks to work decent- but a fair number report that they have broken them.
How much material did you have to remove, you wouldnt happen to have any pics?
Anyway you could take some of the pertinent measurements?

Last edited:
How much material did you have to remove, you wouldnt happen to have any pics?
Anyway you could take some of the pertinent measurements?
There are videos on YouTube.
I used a legacy sports drop in for a while. It was a range gun, so no hard use. I was very happy. The price is right and you don't have to modify the stock.
One thing to consider with the magpul unit is this: you are going to modify your stock, if you decide to upgrade to standard AICS type bottom metal, is your modification going to have an affect on your new modification.
FWIW, I ultimately decided to go the KRG Bravo route as it ended up costing about the same as a quality DBM and paying someone to mill out the stock.

Reactions: jLorenzo
Disapointing news. After taking the time to develop a mag length round I went to install the Legacy bottom metal Friday. I visited their web page to get the torque spec and had at it. The bottom "metal" fit perfectly in my HS stock. The fun came when it was time to tighten the screws. The rear screw pulled through the trigger guard way before I hit their inch pound spec.
So, for me I would call it a total fail.