• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Legal .308 suppressor build, need a good drawing

Garvey

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2010
Melissa, Texas
I've looked online at different types of suppressor anatomy. I'm wanting to find out the best design for a .308 and determine if I can build it. Of course I'll be getting a manufacturer's lisence prior to building any type of sound suppressor. Provided it is affordable. My understanding is that it is the same cost as the Form 4 which just lets a person own one. It will, of course, save me some money if I can build it myself. Yes, I have mill, lathe, plasma, MIG, forge, anvil, CAD, and so on. One design I saw has the baffles 90 degrees to the axis of the barrel. I believe I can produce that, but if it will not work as well as another type of baffle I'd like to see what it would take to make the most efficent type.

I've never used or built one for that matter, but It would be very handy to have one mounted on my Savage 10 FLCP-K for hog hunting.

Re: Legal .308 suppressor build, need a good drawing

Check out silencertalk.com

Thanks for the resources.

I believe I can do it, I just hope the design I can produce will be effective enough to quietly whack some hogs from 500 yards. Last time I had a group of them come in I got to make one shot = one dead hog and 30 live ones that ran off because of rifle report. I know there will still be a sonic crack but maybe it'll work.

I know lots of guys that hog hunt and none of them have done it with a suppressed rifle. Looks like I get to be the guinea pig.

If you are hoping to not spook the pigs from a distance, then you will probably be disappointed. I read an article on hog hunting with a subsonic 300 whisper and the author noted that the impacts were easy to hear and the pigs quickly learned that this meant danger nearby. Pigs are not stupid sheep.

Even a subsonic 30 caliber bullet makes a humming noise moving through the air and the impact noise is very easy to hear. Shooting anything the size of a pig is a challenge at 500 yards. It is made less difficult by using a laser range finder and knowing how much to hold over based on a range card. If you are zeroed for 500 yards and use a .500 BC bullet at 1050 fps, the bullet is 24" high at 475 yards and 27 inches low at 525 yards. Challenging is an understatement.

I would stick with full power ammo for anything past 200 yards. I would not describe a suppressed 308 as quiet by any stretch of the imagination. Hearing safe without ear plugs is the most you should be hoping for. You're good guessing your range to within 50 yards using standard ammo.

I have read claims that the sonic boom echoing will confuse the animals and they may run towards you allowing a few follow up shots. I have never hunted pig successfully nor have I hunted with a suppressed rifle. My suppressed rifle experience is limited to the rifle range.

I have a few drawings if you want them. They are not detailed plans with dimensions though.

Ranb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are hoping to not spook the pigs from a distance, then you will probably be disappointed. I read an article on hog hunting with a subsonic 300 whisper and the author noted that the impacts were easy to hear and the pigs quickly learned that this meant danger nearby. Pigs are not stupid sheep.

Even a subsonic 30 caliber bullet makes a humming noise moving through the air and the impact noise is very easy to hear. Shooting anything the size of a pig is a challenge at 500 yards. It is made less difficult by using a laser range finder and knowing how much to hold over based on a range card. If you are zeroed for 500 yards and use a .500 BC bullet at 1050 fps, the bullet is 24" high at 475 yards and 27 inches low at 525 yards. Challenging is an understatement.

I would stick with full power ammo for anything past 200 yards. I would not describe a suppressed 308 as quiet by any stretch of the imagination. Hearing safe without ear plugs is the most you should be hoping for. You good guessing your range to within 50 yards using standard ammo.

I have read claims that the sonic boom echoing will confuse the animals and they may run towards you allowing a few follow up shots. I have never hunted pig successfully nor have I hunted with a suppressed rifle. My suppressed rifle experience is limited to the rifle range.

I have a few drawings if you want them. They are not detailed plans with dimensions though.

Ranb
</div></div>

I can tell your suppressor experience is limited at best. The bullet does not "hum" thru the air. I have been 300 yards down range behind a berm and laid down, a very capable shooter fired over the berm at a 500 yard target. It did not hum at all. Its more of a barely audible hiss. Most animals will mistake the rifle report as coming from behind them and run towards you. I have seen this first hand when coyote hunting.

The impact noise is easy to hear? Depends what you're shooting at. Hitting flesh at 500 yards when most typically the bullet is going to pass thru you would hear it hit the ground not the target.

If you think a hog is hard to see at 500 yards you are crazy! We shoot 12x12 plates at 600 yards all day. Its not easy but after awhile you get used to it. Now we shoot at Big Dog Steel 35% silhouettes at 600.

I will agree in the fact that you should not hunt with subsonic ammo outside of a 100 yards. It will cause damage at distance BUT can be unreliable results. Or wounding the animal and making it suffer, that is not humane not tolerable in my book. I've hit a coyote at 530 yards with a 6.5 CM and it was plenty of damage to be a nearly instant kill.

there is some incorrect info here.

pm me for advice, plans, details etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can tell your suppressor experience is limited at best. The bullet does not "hum" thru the air. I have been 300 yards down range behind a berm and laid down, a very capable shooter fired over the berm at a 500 yard target. It did not hum at all. Its more of a barely audible hiss. Most animals will mistake the rifle report as coming from behind them and run towards you. I have seen this first hand when coyote hunting.

The impact noise is easy to hear? Depends what you're shooting at. Hitting flesh at 500 yards when most typically the bullet is going to pass thru you would hear it hit the ground not the target.

If you think a hog is hard to see at 500 yards you are crazy! We shoot 12x12 plates at 600 yards all day. Its not easy but after awhile you get used to it. Now we shoot at Big Dog Steel 35% silhouettes at 600.

I will agree in the fact that you should not hunt with subsonic ammo outside of a 100 yards. It will cause damage at distance BUT can be unreliable results. Or wounding the animal and making it suffer, that is not humane not tolerable in my book. I've hit a coyote at 530 yards with a 6.5 CM and it was plenty of damage to be a nearly instant kill. </div></div>

Hum or hiss are the same to me, but I can still hear a subsonic bullet flying through the air when the muzzle blast is suppressed. To me a supersonic bullet sounds like a whip cracking. When I said that shooting a pig at 500 yards was hard, I meant with subsonic ammo. I have hit 12" targets with my AR-15 in 300 whisper at 550 yards, but I knew the exact range and had a range card to reference. Shooting my 300 whisper at targets out past 200 yards without a range finder would be difficult for me.

Ranb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are hoping to not spook the pigs from a distance, then you will probably be disappointed. I read an article on hog hunting with a subsonic 300 whisper and the author noted that the impacts were easy to hear and the pigs quickly learned that this meant danger nearby. Pigs are not stupid sheep.

I would stick with full power ammo for anything past 200 yards. I would not describe a suppressed 308 as quiet by any stretch of the imagination. Hearing safe without ear plugs is the most you should be hoping for. You good guessing your range to within 50 yards using standard ammo.

Ranb
</div></div>

I'll reply in the order of your items.

I've made hits on pigs at 500, and at 250 in the dark using a spot light. I have and regularly use a laser range finder and know the distance from my "hide" to the feeder. I'm 10' elevated and 520 yards away. I can dial in the proper dope for that range based on MY load in MY rifle referring to the dope chart that is taped to the stock of the rifle (in fact I believe it is 2.4 MILs for that shot) Challenging- not for the distance, but the wind can make it interesting. Good for me that it is a south to north shot and the wind is out of the south or north 90% of the time in north Texas. Which equates to no value wind to 1/4 value in this situation.

I have no intentions of using sub-sonic ammo for hunting, especially at that range. No I'm not good at <span style="text-decoration: underline">guessing</span> range to within 50 yards at that distance. I have 3 tools to keep from having to <span style="text-decoration: underline">guess</span>.

1. The laser range finder I mentioned

2. MIL dot reticle in the scope that I regualarly practice ranging and comparing to the results of the the laser range finder.

3. A range card for where I hunt. I've premeasured fixed objects from my hide to where I can potentially take a shot on a hog. This is an old technique that I did not invent, but I did learn and do use.

If I pissed you off and you do not want to share your drawings; I understand. If I didn't and you would still like to PM them to me I'll certainly take the help.

yes stepped cones work very well.

A Member here and on silencertalk did these

50 BMG
408 Cheytac

And these are Freeze plug baffles. for people with a lack of a lathe.
Freeze plug

Stepped Cones would be the best for your application.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halligan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I pissed you off and you do not want to share your drawings; I understand. If I didn't and you would still like to PM them to me I'll certainly take the help. </div></div>

Not at all. Like I said before, I've never hunted suppressed and my suppressed firearms use is limited at I live in WA and do not get a chance to use them much even though I make them as a hobby. I still have much to learn.

Ranb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Calibur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
A Member here and on silencertalk did these

50 BMG
408 Cheytac

And these are Freeze plug baffles. for people with a lack of a lathe.
Freeze plug

Stepped Cones would be the best for your application. </div></div>

I saw those and I believe myself and my lathe can produce those. Now the next question is how long should the blast chamber be forward of the first baffle? And how many baffles for a .308? Hopefully I can build and test this without harming rifle or shooter!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halligan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the resources.

I believe I can do it, I just hope the design I can produce will be effective enough to quietly whack some hogs from 500 yards. Last time I had a group of them come in I got to make one shot = one dead hog and 30 live ones that ran off because of rifle report. I know there will still be a sonic crack but maybe it'll work.

I know lots of guys that hog hunt and none of them have done it with a suppressed rifle. Looks like I get to be the guinea pig.</div></div>

You're not too far from me in Melissa (I'm in Lewisville). Once you get your approved Form 1, then I'd be glad to show you my take-apart .308 suppressor so you can get some ideas from it.

There is a wealth of good info on Silencertalk.com for making your own can on a Form 1. I would go there and start your research.

I use 303 stainless and 4130 for most of my center fire rifle silencers. 0.035" tubing is good for 223 rem, 0.065" is good for 308 and up. I used 0.095" for my 338 ultra mag and it is very heavy. I typically space the baffles about 3/4" to 1.2" apart, except for my 50 cal they were 2" apart. K baffles do not need spacers, but are not as strong as a cone baffle the same weight in my opinion. I make the internals about .005" smaller than the ID of the tubing so I do not have to install them with a hammer.

I used a steel blast baffle and aluminum K baffles for my first 223 silencer but I am wary of letting it get too hot. My next two 223 cans are all steel.

I have made a few aluminum silencers for 22lr, 9mm, 458 socom, 300/338/510 whispers out of aluminum with threaded end caps, but steel welded end caps are much easier.

223REMINGTON-2-1.jpg

Two 223 can drawings. The K baffle one works well. I am making one now with step cone baffles. I will have a chance to compare it side by side with the K baffle one next month.

centerfiresilencers.jpg

Two drawings of 308 designs. There is a chance that welding the end cap on can warp it, so it would be a good idea to make the final cut on the rear end cap that contacts the barrel after the cap is welded on.

223stepconebaffle.jpg

A step cone baffle for the 223 can I am making now.

muzzlebrake.jpg

Muzzle brakes I turned down to mount 223 silencer on an AR-15.

44magblastbaffle.jpg

A 44 mag cone baffle.

photos_510w_2.jpg

One of my early builds for a 510 whisper, all aluminum. I would have made it from steel, used step cone baffles and a bit smaller if I made it now. It works well enough.

Silencer Talk is the best resource I know of for ideas. I still have much to learn, but I'm having lots of fun.

Ranb

PMs and e-mails respoded to. Thanks for all the valuable info.

I used that x-ray pic in my WA silencer education video.

Ranb