• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Legal ? Non-compete agreement double-check

High Binder

Resident Tribologist
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2008
Occupied Colorado
So I'm in the process of switching jobs and the new place is asking me to sign a non-compete agreement. I've read it over and over and I think I get the gist of what it's saying but there is a little wiggle room thrown in so I'm hoping someone fluent in legalese could tell me what this is saying in plain English.

To give this some context, the new position is a contract-to-hire position and requires some kind of security clearance (I think it was called an SF85 or something). It is a software engineering job dealing with pretty in-depth levels of encryption which is what I specialized in for my second Masters degree... (I'm trying to get out of the Mechanical Engineering realm (my first Master degree) because ME $$ sucks!).

Here's the agreement:

Restrictive Covenant - In consideration of the term of employment and the efforts and costs incurred by COMPANY, you agree you shall not solicit or engage in a like or similar profession or occupation at Client's facility at which you are directed to or actually perform services under this agreement, either directly or indirectly, for a period of one hundred eighty (180) days following the termination of your employment under the terms of this agreement, unless specific written authorization has been obtained from COMPANY. You agree that any violation of this provision will result in you paying COMPANY an amount equal to three hundred twenty (320) hours at the hourly rate as stated above as compensation for COMPANY'S efforts and costs incurred in connection with your employment hereunder.

I think what it's saying is that I simply cannot go to work for that company directly without written permission and I couldn't work for one of their competitors (of which there are none). Is this correct and would signing this in some way prevent me from being able to work as a software engineer outside of this context for the period in which the non-compete is in effect? Again, I'm just wanting to make sure I'm not overlooking any little loopholes or something here. Thanks in advance!

Have a lawyer friend look at it for ya. Too important to trust to internet opinions.

To get advice you can rely on you really need to consult a lawyer familiar with the laws of the state that will cover this agreement and who has the entire agreement in front of them, not just that one paragraph.

That said, I think your interpretation is basically correct. That is actually one of the narrowest non-competition clauses I've seen in an employment agreement.

Disclosures: I am a lawyer, I am not YOUR lawyer, no engagement exists between us, I don't know what state's law applies and it's probably a state I'm not licensed in anyway.

Pretty typical for that type of agreement to be required for employment into a software company, especially one that deals with encryption and security clearances.
They don't want you taking their intellectual property to another company...so they put a 180 time limit on it in hopes their methods will be outdated by the time you go to another company.

If you leave their company on good terms, it's usually another document that you sign that says you are ok to work somewhere else, but cannot take/use anything developed while employed there...else they will seek a claim for "damages".

Like said above, consult with a legal expert if you are really unsure. If you need a job, you need a job...

So I'm in the process of switching jobs and the new place is asking me to sign a non-compete agreement. I've read it over and over and I think I get the gist of what it's saying but there is a little wiggle room thrown in so I'm hoping someone fluent in legalese could tell me what this is saying in plain English.

To give this some context, the new position is a contract-to-hire position and requires some kind of security clearance (I think it was called an SF85 or something). It is a software engineering job dealing with pretty in-depth levels of encryption which is what I specialized in for my second Masters degree... (I'm trying to get out of the Mechanical Engineering realm (my first Master degree) because ME $$ sucks!).

Here's the agreement:

Restrictive Covenant - In consideration of the term of employment and the efforts and costs incurred by COMPANY, you agree you shall not solicit or engage in a like or similar profession or occupation at Client's facility at which you are directed to or actually perform services under this agreement, either directly or indirectly, for a period of one hundred eighty (180) days following the termination of your employment under the terms of this agreement, unless specific written authorization has been obtained from COMPANY. You agree that any violation of this provision will result in you paying COMPANY an amount equal to three hundred twenty (320) hours at the hourly rate as stated above as compensation for COMPANY'S efforts and costs incurred in connection with your employment hereunder.

I think what it's saying is that I simply cannot go to work for that company directly without written permission and I couldn't work for one of their competitors (of which there are none). Is this correct and would signing this in some way prevent me from being able to work as a software engineer outside of this context for the period in which the non-compete is in effect? Again, I'm just wanting to make sure I'm not overlooking any little loopholes or something here. Thanks in advance!

Ive found this a valuable service. YOu pay about $18 per month and get free access to an attorney in your area. In Virginia its Framme Law Firm which is rated at the top of their field. Ive turned a couple of buddies on to it as well and they are well pleased.

Affordable Legal Services & Legal Plans | LegalShield

It looks like a typical contract staffing restrictive covenant. What it is doing is preventing you from being hired by the "client" company for at least 6 months after your contract has ended. Since it is a "contract to hire" position this agreement is in direct conflict with the nature of "contract to direct" as it won't allow you to be hired by the client without written permission or you'll have to pay the contract staffing firm the outlined penalty. Should be pretty easy for you to obtain a waiver (IN WRITING!) As already advised, have a contract attorney review prior to signing.

It seems to restrict you from working for clients of the company for which you will be working. I don't read anything in the covenant that restricts your ability to move to a competitor unless that competitor proposed to put you to work for one of the clients of the original employer. This is a common practice as resource poaching by clients is a significant problem. If you were to change employers most will ask if you are covered by any restrictive covenants and will factor that into a hiring decision. I have been in and around the software industry for almost 20 years and this is actually one of the least restrictive covenants I have seen. Having written all that I am NOT a lawyer.

That said, I think your interpretation is basically correct. That is actually one of the narrowest non-competition clauses I've seen in an employment agreement.

Do you mean narrow as in how specific it is in-terms of only limiting the non-compete to that specific company?

It looks like a typical contract staffing restrictive covenant. What it is doing is preventing you from being hired by the "client" company for at least 6 months after your contract has ended. Since it is a "contract to hire" position this agreement is in direct conflict with the nature of "contract to direct" as it won't allow you to be hired by the client without written permission or you'll have to pay the contract staffing firm the outlined penalty. Should be pretty easy for you to obtain a waiver (IN WRITING!) As already advised, have a contract attorney review prior to signing.

It sounded like that's what happens, i.e. you work there for 6-months and then transfer out of the contract and continue working at the place as a normal employee. Coming from the Mech/E world this type of contract-to-hire stuff is totally foreign to me but the $$/opportunities are WAY better as a software engineer.

Thanks!