• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Legion 9/11 Memorial Match 2023 - who got in?

FatBoy

After 20 years, going anonymous..
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2001
TN
3 months out form this years Legion 9/11 memorial match. Sold out again in less than 90 seconds again. Anyone else here shooting this year?

If so, curious if you plan on changing up your kit with the elimination of the Operator Class? What are you changing for kit or training different than last year?

3 months out form this years Legion 9/11 memorial match. Sold out again in less than 90 seconds again. Anyone else here shooting this year?

If so, curious if you plan on changing up your kit with the elimination of the Operator Class? What are you changing for kit or training different than last year?
Hey here!
I’m running the match and plan on using almost the same kit as I did last year.
The only real changes are a different optic, PA 1-6 BDC to a NF NX8 1-8 and new boots.
I also might not bother with wearing a camelback like I did last year.

Did you see they took out operator class? I’m still wearing plates. If nothing else, it gives me an excuse to be slow ;).

I’m running almost all the same kit as last year. Exact same rifle/pistol. Only change I have made so far is I’m testing a Crye SPC to see if it saves wet weight over the Velocity Systems PC and it seems to have more plate standoff so hopeful I stay cooler. I work out/walk in it a couple times a week but I don’t put a placard . I’d preferred I not meet SWAT on a trailhead. Trade off is it’s not as comfortable.

Have been kicking around the idea of not using an over or two piece belt and just using a Safariland clip to mount the holster on a rigger belt and use tek loc mag pouches. It may be too late for me to go that route at this point, but the belts have been one of my biggest disappointments each year.

No water. Shit man, I went through 3qts. last year.

Step off weight last year was 291#. I can maybe drop 2-3# this year, depending on round count and what Matt and Jason dream up for obstacles. Last year was fairly chill. 2021 was a several kicks in the dick….

Chris

Sorry, I didn’t mean no water just not a full camelback. I’ll still carry a Nalgene or something like that. Unfortunately I think I had a kink or something in my tube and I didn’t get ANY water in during the run and I was totally drained by the end but I pushed hard and it sucked. I was fried.
I’m just running light fighter with the SKD PIG chest rig I’ve had for years. It worked well for me last year.
Inner/Outer belt system but trying a new holster this year with level 3 retention and a cover for the RMR.
Either way it’s a fun match for a great cause.

I looked at switching to a level 3 Safariland or Teir 1. I put it off and now I don’t have time to relearn my draw and holster, though it’s not like draw time is going to be the deciding factor in these stages…

This was my result when trying my first pistol red dot

IMG_4259.jpeg

Fucking Glock screws…

We “run” on Friday with the ROs because we have the long range state championship in Oak Ridge that weekend each year. Matt does us a solid and works us in so we can do both.

What boots do you use? I ran Asolos Fugitives year one , and that was a huge mistake. I used Solomon Speed Assults last year and they worked well but have no support. Looking for something in between that will fit my narrow foot and won’t hold water.

I looked at switching to a level 3 Safariland or Teir 1. I put it off and now I don’t have time to relearn my draw and holster, though it’s not like draw time is going to be the deciding factor in these stages…

This was my result when trying my first pistol red dot

View attachment 8188084

Fucking Glock screws…

We “run” on Friday with the ROs because we have the long range state championship in Oak Ridge that weekend each year. Matt does us a solid and works us in so we can do both.

What boots do you use? I ran Asolos Fugitives year one , and that was a huge mistake. I used Solomon Speed Assults last year and they worked well but have no support. Looking for something in between that will fit my narrow foot and won’t hold water.
Oh no!
I’ve been running an RMR on my G19 EDC for maybe 5 years without issue.
I also have narrow feet.
I recently got the Goruck boots and have been running in them a few days a week for the last few weeks and they’ve been good. I got the tall ones for the extra ankle support.

I ordered an Alien Gear holster and it should be in soon so we’ll see how that goes. I’ll dry fire and use it at a USPSA match to see how I like the retention. There’s a 2 gun match I’m doing next weekend and hopefully I’ll use it there.

Reactions: FatBoy
I trained in four different boots getting ready for last year.

Lowa Zypher non GTX are awesome, but too nice to submerg and they’d have been too heavy.

I trianed in the go rucks for about a month. They were good until I put on the PC and pack. Got fairly bad plantar fasciitis and had to nurse my right foot through. I loved the weight of the boot and build quality was very good but as heavy as I am I think I needed more support. I tried some plantar inserts and they moved my heal up to far. Probably should have gotten good custom stiff insole and kept them…

Solomon Jungle boots tore all the skin off my heals. I was really hoping they would have worked.

Than the speed assaults. I would prefer actual laces, but with a cheap drugstore insert they have worked well. Basically a high top trail runner. Still not perfect, but the best I have found so far.

Curious to hear how you like the level 3. Did you have any retention issues last year?

Last edited:
Another great match. I beat myself, on a couple stages. Saved a target stage 1 because I lost my fucking mind and made a rookie mistake, putting five rounds through the Jeep hood instead of rotating my rifle and getting flat. That cost me the ammo I needed to hit the last target while moving in the side by side and I ate 30 points.

Biggest issue early was my pistol sights were really off and fucked up the 2nd stage badly. Turns out, somehow they got wacked and at 20+ yards I was way right. DNF’d stage 2 do to this and finding my holds at different distances was frustrating the rest of the day.

The mental tests this year were tough. A lot of hidden gems. A lot of data to take in, most of it worthless but you don’t know that going in. I just ran the course for dummies.

Overall, another fantastic event. Matt and the crew do an amazing job for very important cause.

I am admittedly a novice at these, but some Take always this year:

When something seems wrong with how a firearm is performing, trust the data and fix it before the match. Hubris cost me.

The Crye SPC takes some time to break in, but does shed water great and is fairly comfortable with HSGI gel shoulder pads.

The Ferro belt is awesome.

That Safariland plastic belt loop with the female fork bruised me again. That’s three years in a row that this thing bruised my outer quad. I think I need to Move it forward some. Maybe try the Safariland belt clip, or the true north unit I have to see if it helps.

Admin pouch needs Malice clips, pack pulled the bottom moly loose. Or, find another way to get the pack high without pulling on the admin pouch.

Take a fucking camera phone next time dummy. You’ve needed it each year.

Get waterproof radios.

Get more practice in earlier in the year. I don’t have the reps in to not make silly mistakes that cost me and I’m not good enough to not practice.

Don’t get cute in the stages, it’s costs time and may got me penalties and physical hardship I otherwise would not have opened myself up to.

Push harder early on and trust that my body will hold up.

The mole skin on top of my feet made all the difference with the speed laces. Feet were fine at the end.

Slow down and look at the maps and intel closer. It could have shaved a lot of distance off, ultimately saving time in the end. Same with staging for the matches if there is a choice.

Last edited:
Oh no!
I’ve been running an RMR on my G19 EDC for maybe 5 years without issue.
I also have narrow feet.
I recently got the Goruck boots and have been running in them a few days a week for the last few weeks and they’ve been good. I got the tall ones for the extra ankle support.

I ordered an Alien Gear holster and it should be in soon so we’ll see how that goes. I’ll dry fire and use it at a USPSA match to see how I like the retention. There’s a 2 gun match I’m doing next weekend and hopefully I’ll use it there.

Did the boots work out as you expected?