• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lehigh bullets B.C.

Jimmym40a2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2008
Colorado
I noticed the Lehigh bullets have a very high BC. For the 408 it list 0.983 for the 395 grain bullet. Is this possible? the lost river is .945 and heavier. The Lehigh being lighter and bronze couldn't have a higher BC.............right?

Re: Lehigh bullets B.C.

Weight has less to do with bc then length and aerodynamics. Lehigh may have this posted at this bc but what speed are they going and at what distance are these bc's figured at?

weight,length, aerodynamics are all factors.I just don't see how the Lehigh can have a higher bc than the lost river. I just bought 100 so I guess I'll find out...........

For any given weight, a bullet of a lighter material will be longer, which is one factor in BC. Aerodynamis shape is usually a more important factor.

BC (for computational purposes)is an estimate, given that BC changes with velocity. Published BC's are necessarily either averages or exact at one unique velocity. To truly describe BC requires a curve plotting BC against velocity.

Precise computation with estimated data is still yields an estimate; computation for computations sake. Much better than a wild guess, but by no means exact

I wish manufacturers would simply fire each subject bullet at the max practicle MV, chrono the MV, and record dopplar radar data and bullet drop data for at least every 50Yds. That info would enable the shooter to derive velocity and bullet drop data for most any practically attainable velocity. Then the shooter would only need to worry about barometric and wind conditions for most practical ranges. (Spin effect, corialis, and other minor forces excepted)

If data were developed for say 3600, 2600, 1600 FPS, or some such set of MV's which overlap with the anticipated terminal velocities of the available range, one could reasonably construct an accurate bullet drop chart accurate from max MV to subsonic crossing, and for most calibers the range requirement would be less than 1000Yd, in many cases less than 600Yd.

With hard data, computation is only required to estimate the minor errors such as barometric data. Wind calculations become more precise because the drop charts yields a measured BC plot.

Having said that, most quality software yields results exceeding my trigger operation limitations.

Just $.02 IMO

I dont see how there is any way for those to have a higher bc then the LR bullets. I know the bc on those that you given is slightly lower then the one i use with my charts.