• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leica 1600

huntermanpaul

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Wyoming
I am looking for a range finder for long range hunting. Money is an issue so I do not want to get too extravagant. I have seen a few long range hunting guys using the Leica 1600. Anyone use one of these for hunting? How far can I realistically expect to range an animal with one under hunting conditions?

Re: Leica 1600

What distances are you shooting out to. In the south we are lucky to get more then 300 yards. Shooting at the range we have no problems getting 1200 yards with the Leica 1600

I am primarily thinking out to 1000 ish. I shoot a .308 so I am limited my the capabilities of my cartridge.

Thank you. I almost ordered one but now i am glad that I didn't. Any recommendations for a long range hunting rangefinder on a budget? I need to be able to range animals at 1000

I would have to disagree with the 1600 having any trouble out to 1000 yards. IMO there is no other range finder close to the 1600 for the money right now ($650.00)

I don't have a Leica, but have ranged trees at 1,200 and grass at 900 with my Swarovski.

I know Leica makes good rangefinders, but can't say for sure.

Love my Leica 1600. They're on sale at EuroOptic for $650. Can't beat the price and the customer service with EuroOptic

I can reliably depend on mine to about 800 yards under hunting conditions (only cond. I've tried) I've tried houses also but not too much luck there. I did hit a boathouse at 1400ish with 1 of nearly 15 tries! So far I would definitely not recommend the 1600CRF for anything but hunting as it does make for a good monocular with great glass, and I will not be shooting too much at game past 800 yards. If I were using it to shoot past 1000 at steel, I would probably be better off using a 200ft tape!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DREMEL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would have to disagree with the 1600 having any trouble out to 1000 yards. IMO there is no other range finder close to the 1600 for the money right now ($650.00)</div></div>
Hmm, try Bushnell Fusion 1600.

The only think I know is better is the Swarovski.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DREMEL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would have to disagree with the 1600 having any trouble out to 1000 yards. IMO there is no other range finder close to the 1600 for the money right now ($650.00)</div></div>
Hmm, try Bushnell Fusion 1600. </div></div>
Ive had the fusion as well. I couldn't deal with the size and didn't see any advantages in ranging abilities over the leica at all.

The laser guide had to big of reticle for me to use out past 700 or so.

As I said before. Leica 1600 gets my vote!!!