• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leica 2700b vs Leupold RX2800

dntworry

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2018
OR
I am seeing both on sale currently. Leupold for $360 and the Leica for $550.
Mainly would use for ELR attempting to range steel to a mile. Thoughts on the two? Worth the $200 up charge for the Leica?

I’ve had a Leupold IV 1500 yd rangefinder, Leica 1600B and now a Leica 2700B. The Leupold was an absolute letdown. Won’t range a whitetail deer at 500 yds. Doesn’t range a 50ft wide garage at 1,000. Will hit a sign (reflective) over 1200 tho.

Used to carry a yield sign in my truck when I shot targets. Would set sign at shooting position and range back to it as I set targets up.

The Leica on the other hand will range deer over 800 with the 1600 model and haven’t fully tested the 2700 yet. Both Leica however have hit ranges on trees etc beyond there advertised ranges.

I would never even consider a Leupold over a Leica. I have seen some impressive sig models to. Bushnell May be worth a look as well

You won’t be sorry with the Leica. I’m very sorry I bought the Leupold which was over $400 at the time

Contact the guy above (Doug) about the Leica. Hands down superior unit. You can get the basic model (2400 is what I originally looked at) without the ballistics etc for a bit cheaper. I was originally going to get the 2400 model but got a good deal on the 2700.

Edit: I do still own the Leupold. Use it for bow hunting. Leica for LR/ELR shooting. The Leupold eats batteries at least twice as fast as the Leica

Last edited:
Reactions: sharpdoug
I can say you won't be sorry with the Leica. I have a 1600B and have ranged steel targets out to 1350, haven't tried further. I have no experience with the Leupold, so I cannot comment on that. I would say look at the beam divergence on both models. Leica has a smaller beam divergence that a lot of other similar priced LRFs.

I upgraded to the 2700B, should arrive today (thanks Doug!), from my 2000B. I recently hit black cows consistently and repeatably, from a tripod, 1500 yards+. Same cow over and over. Moved to another cow, first hit, over and over, same readout. I've hit to over 2000 yards hand held once or twice. The glass is insanely good too. Those cows were easy to see at 1500. I had to remind myself several times it was only 7x as when I'd pull away from the rangefinder's lens I couldn't believe how far out they were after seeming to be so close.

And the 2700B's ability to load your custom ballistics is supposed to work extremely well.

And it's here!

I just finished my last post and went to my email to track it and before I could even find the email the doorbell rang and the dog went ape shit. Gonna go open it now. :geek:

Thanks again Doug!

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
Can't complain with my 2700B. Have had it going on 1 yr. So I believe you can't go wrong with it. Had Leupold one before, not the one you brought up. But nowhere near Leica.

Interested in these. Just one question.
How is the firing solutions displayed?
I have the 1600 that I've had for years and it gives environmental conditions which I transfer to my phone manually.
Does the 2700b work the same way?
In other words does the 2700b give you a environmental correction from a coustom ballistic card ?

Interested in these. Just one question.
How is the firing solutions displayed?
I have the 1600 that I've had for years and it gives environmental conditions which I transfer to my phone manually.
Does the 2700b work the same way?
In other words does the 2700b give you a environmental correction from a coustom ballistic card ?

You have several options. Hold over in inches/cm, clicks in MOA or MIL, or you can do it the same way you are currently doing.

So no real advantage over the old, old 1600?

New reticle, 0-200 yards displayed w/ tenths, 2700 yards vs. 1600 yards, and you can program you own ballistics. I think you'd see a difference. Is it worth the price? Only you can decide.

New reticle, 0-200 yards displayed w/ tenths, 2700 yards vs. 1600 yards, and you can program you own ballistics. I think you'd see a difference. Is it worth the price? Only you can decide.

But does it give you corrected firing solution based off of your ballistics or do you need to figure that part out?

But does it give you corrected firing solution based off of your ballistics or do you need to figure that part out?

It uses either your preprogrammed SIM card or pre-selected ballistic in the Leica then the Leica takes that ballistics calculator and uses the current environmental conditions to give you a firing solution that you can choose how it's displayed prior in the menu.

JD, thanks. I really appreciate your help with this. I'll check it out and you and your loved ones have a great Thanksgiving day!

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Jefe's Dope, thanks for the info.
I know it been a while but just recently I picked up a 2700b and trying to figure it out came up with (what I think) some really good data. After going over these threads and reading the instructions I input my ballistics on the SD card and was quite pleased with the results.

The numbers came out almost a duplicate to my app.

I've had a little problem with 'Shooter' in the past and really haven't ran it against other apps but I'm getting better with understanding it.
I say all that to let you know that the numbers seem spot on except for ranges between 350- 550 yards with the difference being .1 on the minus side of Leica ballistics.

I haven't been able to get out to confirm the data but the inputs matched pretty good.
Thanks again to all that participated in this thread?

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
The one thing that the 2700b really lacks is being able to have a wind call factor built in to the ballistic card
( generic of course), say 10 mph @90*, but would have made the unit more of a stand alone unit, only needing a wind meter. As it is I will still have to use a phone app to get a proper firing solution, which sucks

Learn what mph gun you have and use the bc method. We don't need computers for everything. We can use the ones between our ears.

Jefe's Dope, thanks for the info.
I know it been a while but just recently I picked up a 2700b and trying to figure it out came up with (what I think) some really good data. After going over these threads and reading the instructions I input my ballistics on the SD card and was quite pleased with the results.

The numbers came out almost a duplicate to my app.

I've had a little problem with 'Shooter' in the past and really haven't ran it against other apps but I'm getting better with understanding it.
I say all that to let you know that the numbers seem spot on except for ranges between 350- 550 yards with the difference being .1 on the minus side of Leica ballistics.

I haven't been able to get out to confirm the data but the inputs matched pretty good.
Thanks again to all that participated in this thread?
Are the adjustments displayed in the leica? So I range the target and it displays 500 and 2.4 mils inside of the leica?

Are the adjustments displayed in the leica? So I range the target and it displays 500 and 2.4 mils inside of the leica?

Wow, I didn't even see this till just now 5 months later! But the answer is Yes for whatever its worth now. Sorry
Another thing is it shows the angle distance and you'll think its wrong! Set aside your fears , it is correct!