• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leica 2800.com app vs kestrel

Freediver111

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon
I have a 2800.com on the way. Didn’t really see a huge need for it, but a buddy needed a new rangefinder and offered to buy my old one, so I decided to upgrade to the 2800.
While I do own a kestrel, it’s not the 5700 so I was planning on trying the Leica app. I manually input some data into my “own” ballistic profile and compared to what I’ve been using in my Shooter app. Turns out the drop in inches matched up super close. Basically within an inch out to 1k yards.
The one thing I though was weird was it asked you for absolute baro readings, but also asks you altitude? What gives? Also, do you have to change that every time you go out in different conditions, or does the rangefinder do that and your profile just sets up your zero atmosphere data?
Sorry if these are dumb questions. I don’t have the 2800 in hand yet. Should be on the way soon, I was just playing around with the app to familiarize myself with it.
Also, I’m sure some of you will suggest I get a 5700, so if I do eventually get one, is the standard 5700 good enough or is it really worth it for the elite model? Keep in mind I don’t shoot beyond 1100-1200 yards.

The 5700 is an excellent meter. The main reasons for upgrading to an Elite would be access to the radar tested library of custom curves from Applied Ballistics, which are a newer method of determining trajectory than using G1 or G7 BCs and Drop Scale Factor for truing the meter at transsonic distances. Your 1100-1200 yds could be supersonic or transsonic distance depending on the caliber.

Reactions: Soulezoo
I just got the elite and didn't overthink it.
If I didn't, I would have wasted time grousing about how I wished I had of gotten it.
But, that's just the way I am.
No regrets having gotten the elite.
Now connectivity between the Kestrel and the 2800 (I have the 2800.com) is a different story. That definitely takes practice, patience getting used to. It doesn't stay connected nearly long enough for my taste nor does it connect nearly easy or fast enough. But when it is connected and working, I have found it to be very accurate. I am using the Applied Ballistics app in conjunction with.