• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leica 2800.com vs Kilo3000bdx for HUNTING

goinghunting

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Minnesota
So if I'm gonna upgrade from the kilo 2000 and pick up a kestrel to run with one of the above RF, which does more in combination with a Kestrel?

Which Kestrel is the correct one for this pairing?

Or does one work in combination with the Kestrel more seamlessly if they both do essentially the same as far as RF capabilities...? (Ability to fill out a Target card, showing the solution in MILs in the RF after ranging, etc)

The other thing- I would have a hard time leaving the Swaro SLCs home when hunting out west to bring a RF Bino. Sure I save a little weight but don't think the glass trade is worth it.

Would use the RF/Kestrel for any and all hunting, out to 1000+ on yotes and generally closer on Elk/deer. As well as just general shooting and some friendly competition with friends(1 mile available behind my house).

And yes I know there are a handful of threads about both of these units, but I need to know if the Kilo 3000 is good enough to give up the SLCs...

Thanks in advance!

So if I'm gonna upgrade from the kilo 2000 and pick up a kestrel to run with one of the above RF, which does more in combination with a Kestrel?

Which Kestrel is the correct one for this pairing?

Or does one work in combination with the Kestrel more seamlessly if they both do essentially the same as far as RF capabilities...? (Ability to fill out a Target card, showing the solution in MILs in the RF after ranging, etc)

The other thing- I would have a hard time leaving the Swaro SLCs home when hunting out west to bring a RF Bino. Sure I save a little weight but don't think the glass trade is worth it.

Would use the RF/Kestrel for any and all hunting, out to 1000+ on yotes and generally closer on Elk/deer. As well as just general shooting and some friendly competition with friends(1 mile available behind my house).

And yes I know there are a handful of threads about both of these units, but I need to know if the Kilo 3000 is good enough to give up the SLCs...

Thanks in advance!

GH,

I have both, hunted with both this year. They both connect with the Kestrel, I'd say the 3k's connection is more secure and definitely faster upon wakeup etc. The 3k can range farther, but the 2800's reticle to sensor alignment is more precise. I just came in from testing both of them 5 minutes ago in fact. With the Sig, hitting telephone wires at over 800 yards, tops of phone poles at over 1200. When it comes to ranging, it is very capable.

On the other hand, the 2800 is no slouch. Hitting phone poles out past 900, alignment is excellent and it passes DOF to the Kestrel where the Sig does not. I'd say it's weak point is it's connection with the Kestrel, which upon wakeup varies, but averages around 15 seconds where the Sig is a consistent 2 seconds or so. But that DOF communication and the fact it has full environmentals onboard should you want to run it alone make this a very strong RF, and probably my favorite CRF. If Leica could speed up the reconnection and improve the general connectivity, I don't think I could find a fault worth mentioning.

Both will return in Mils into the RF, both include wind (the Leica two holds, the Sig one).

Where I would make this decision if I were you, is on the glass, as in Swaro glass vs Sig. For it's price point, the Sig has pretty good glass. But it is in no way Swaro glass. More like Vortex Viper glass. Not bad at all, but you are driving European glory there. And you really won't save any weight either, as they are heavier due to the extra hardware needed for the RF components.

I run Zeiss FL's and I am not giving those up anytime soon. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely benefits to the 3k alone, vs my 2800 with my FL's. But when it comes to the glass, the 3k is great for the price, but it's not alpha class.