• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leica 3000 HD-B

Gobears16

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2018
Blackhawk, Ca
Since there are some great deals on these binos and I need a new set I wanted to get some real world reviews. How is the glass stack up against Swaro EL and Zeiss Victory? How is the ballistic system? I think I read it only goes out 1000yards. Have they changed it to calculate ballistics further?.... I’m also looking at the sig 3000bdx but I doubt the glass is better.

I tried to find info online but didn’t find to much

This sure makes them sound good. All the Leica RF binos leading up to these have excellent reputations, no reason to think otherwise on these.

Am I reading it right on the Eurooptic site? On sale for $1,999, and a $1k rebate after that? If so, that’s an amazing deal.

ETA this should probably be on the Observation Devices forum

Thanks for the heads up. I just realized I posted in the wrong section.

mods please move or delete, my apologies

I think the "instant rebate" of $1k is why they're $2k instead of $3k

If I'm mistaken and you can grab them for $1k after rebate I'll buy a set tomorrow.

Reactions: sleeplz
I think the "instant rebate" of $1k is why they're $2k instead of $3k

If I'm mistaken and you can grab them for $1k after rebate I'll buy a set tomorrow.
Yeah that’s what I thought at first but it’s hard to tell. Definitely worth a call to EO.

They are $2k with the rebate. It is a promotion by Leica. SportOptics, EuroOptics, CameraLandNY all have them for the same price.

I was considering streamlining my gear and getting the Leica Geovid 3000 HD-B 10x42. After reading around and talking to a couple people I decided to go with the Leica 2800.com.

The lack of a stud mounting option and no Bluetooth is what killed it for me on the Geovid.

If Leica is listening anything in the x12-15 magnification range with the Leica 2800.com Bluetooth capabilities and a mounting stud, you couldn’t keep them in stock

Last edited:
Reactions: Wyzrd
To answer the original post - I've compared the Leica HD-B 10x42's against a new pair of 2019 Swarovski SLC 10x42's, and they are both top of the line glass. I would be happy to have either in the field.

The Leica's actually have a slight advantage in clarity at the center of the image, while the Swarovskis are slightly better on the extreme edge of the glass. Also I would say the Swarovskis have a slight advantage in gathering light under twilight conditions. The differences here are very slight, however. Obviously the Leicas are larger/heavier but the Swarovski I compared had no laser range finder.

I've not had a chance to compare the Leicas to the Swaro EL glass yet, but from what I've read the EL and SLC glass are comparable, but the EL adds an image flattener and may have slightly better color rendition.

The Leica's range finder is outstanding - it is very good at discriminating small targets and superior to the Swaro EL rangefinder from all I've read.

Reactions: Tac Beard
I have a set of the 2200's, and my understanding is the glass is the same as the 3000's - only the rangefinder is better in the 3000's. For me, these have been great for hunting and shooting steel. If you are only shooting steel in the daylight, then I'd save money and go with the Sig's. But if you are going to spend hours glassing and/or need/want lowlight performance, the HD-B's are where it's at for rangefinding binoculars IMO.

There's always going to be a 'next best' coming out next quarter or next year, so I wouldn't necessarily wait. The HD-B 3000's at $2,000 are an outstanding deal currently.

Reactions: Wyzrd
If you played your cards right you could get them down around $1600 at bass pro/cabelas.

Bass pro/Cabelas had them for $1999.99. If you used their credit card you got another 12% cash back, and Active Junky had another 12% cash back.

Say with tax it's ~2100 out the door, you only get cash back on the $2000, but it's $480. $2100 -$480 = $1620. Now granted you have to wait for the cash back at Active Junky for a couple months, and the Cabelas/Bass pro cash back has to be used at their store.

Too bad bass pro bought Cabelas, because prior to that you could routinely get Cabelas gift cards 20% off on top of the above.

They only do it for limited times, over black friday weekend they just happened to line up. Looks like both stores are now out of them and no longer running them for 1999.99. Cabelas/Bass do a lot of 10% extra in cash back on high end optics if you use their card so you end up with 12% total (2% is normal), sometimes like right now they are doing 3x points so 6%. Active Junky the % of cash back fluxuates but it's always high around black friday. it's 10% right now for cabelas/bass.

The other thing the Leica has been horrible at since their first model is display brightness. The 3000 is okay *IF* you are in the same lighting conditions as your target. However, it appears to set it's brightness based on the lighting conditions the binoculars are in, so if you are in a dark treeline or blind and you are ranging something bright, the display is so dark it's worthless unless you cover the lens or pan somewhere dark. Plus Leica doesn't even let you set the brightness manually. The Sig 3000, while full of its own flaws does much better with auto brightness.

The other thing the Leica has been horrible at since their first model is display brightness. The 3000 is okay *IF* you are in the same lighting conditions as your target. However, it appears to set it's brightness based on the lighting conditions the binoculars are in, so if you are in a dark treeline or blind and you are ranging something bright, the display is so dark it's worthless unless you cover the lens or pan somewhere dark. Plus Leica doesn't even let you set the brightness manually. The Sig 3000, while full of its own flaws does much better with auto brightness.
That's interesting. I've only had my HD-B's for a year, but I've never noticed the display to be a problem. Ranging from within the house to an object outside in sunlight or ranging from under a cover at the range to a target in sunlight hasn't been an issue. I used them all hunting season this year and also didn't notice an issue with display (ranging from tree shade to a sunny hillside, etc.). What kind of differential lighting conditions have caused you a problem?

Could just be I've had bad luck, if I range as you say from inside the house where it's dim to outside where it's bright, the display is almost impossible to see, in fact a couple times I've thought the battery was dead. However panning inside the display is okay, so it seems like at least mine is setting the brightness based on "at user" lighting not target lighting. If I walk outside the display brightens up great. I've noticed the same in blinds and tree lines etc. My older 2000 was similar but not as extreme as these. It would be interesting to see how they are measuring the "brightness" to adjust the display. Sig 3000 has no issues in the same conditions and it sets the brightness adequate in all conditions I've tried so far.

Reactions: Secant