• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leica CRF 1600-B, opinions?

mberry223

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2003
Virginia Beach, VA
Does anyone have any experience with these? Are the "B's" worth $150 more than the regular 1600's?

I will mainly be using these for 3-Gun competitions, the targets are typically 10" steel plates at 600 yards or closer. I will use it for hunting (archery, ML and rifle) too, but I don't hunt anywhere that will stretch the limits of any modern LRF.

The ballistic program is pretty appealing to me. During most 3-Gun competitions, you will get a brief explaining the course of fire and then have 5 minutes to do your walk through and stage prep. Being able to range a target and have a firing solution given to you in seconds that accounts for atmospherics would be great. It doesn't need to be X-ring accurate, just within about 1moa
wink.gif

I'm torn between the Leica with it's bells and whistles (and sometimes poor reviews), the Zeiss (for a few hundred less) and the Bushnell Elite 1600 ARC. I like the size of the Leica and the features, but the price and multiple reports of bad units are worrisome.

Any advice/ experience? And no, I can't afford a Terrapin! $799 is already a stretch for the amount I will be using it.

Re: Leica CRF 1600-B, opinions?

For what you are talking about, this should work just find. I have used mine to range stop signs at 600 yards. of course, a 10" plate is a lot smaller, but it should work ok.

It arrived yesterday and is an impressive unit right out of the box. It is TINY!

I think I probably bought more capabilities than I need, but it's not bad to have. I am bummed that it doesn't take slope in to consideration until after 100 yards, that hurts for bow hunting.

I may send it back and get a simpler unit... But, this one is really nice and I think I would regret it. Buy once, cry once, right?

Stop signs and other street signs are NOT a good test of any LRF. They are designed to diffuse light so that it does not reflect directly anywhere, especially a drivers eyes. While they can be used to compare one RF to another, your satisfaction as to how far a unit work should never be based on its performance against a DOT sign. If you, or anyone else here, ever has a problem with a Leica, contact me. I'm the go to guy for trouble shooting issues with Leica lasers, and believe me, as fraction of units sold, the incidence of problem/repair is minuscule.

Thanks for the input and the offer for help, if needed.

I decided to hang on to this one, even though I probably won't use the ballistic function. It's a great unit that is extremely compact for it's capabilities.