• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leica CRF 1600 vs Bushnell Elite 1600

Re: Leica CRF 1600 vs Bushnell Elite 1600

does the leica work better, or have a longer distance? i dont mind spending a bit more to get one that ranges further.

that said, i am not interesting in spending to the level of the vectronix (even though they are really nice)

I am working with a bushnell now and it's a great piece of gear. I only have a couple of complaints with it.

First the illumination is a pain to quickly adjust. Second the reticle is too coarse for 1000+ yards.

However the Leica has the same issue with a coarse reticle.

With either, you need to play with them to get an idea of where you need to hold in relation to the circle/box to get an accurate range. However with either one it is also possible to lase and "scan" while painting the target to see the range change and get an idea of the true range to the target.

The Bushnell is easy to attach to a tripod. It's got a 1/4-20 threaded boss on the bottom. The Leica does not.

The Leica is more compact.

The Bushnell uses CR123's.

I have not had a chance to test them head to head. The Leica I have now is the LRF1200 and the Bushnell blows it away. The Leica CRF1600 would be a better comparison but I do not have one on hand. I may try to borrow one soon.

I would be very interested to hear the results of that comparison.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am working with a bushnell now and it's a great piece of gear. I only have a couple of complaints with it.

First the illumination is a pain to quickly adjust. Second the reticle is too coarse for 1000+ yards.

However the Leica has the same issue with a coarse reticle.

With either, you need to play with them to get an idea of where you need to hold in relation to the circle/box to get an accurate range. However with either one it is also possible to lase and "scan" while painting the target to see the range change and get an idea of the true range to the target.

The Bushnell is easy to attach to a tripod. It's got a 1/4-20 threaded boss on the bottom. The Leica does not.

The Leica is more compact.

The Bushnell uses CR123's.

I have not had a chance to test them head to head. The Leica I have now is the LRF1200 and the Bushnell blows it away. The Leica CRF1600 would be a better comparison but I do not have one on hand. I may try to borrow one soon. </div></div>

i am going to check out a new possible LR shooting field Saturday. should i just get both and return the one that doesn't work well? i have a cabelas in town and I already verified with the dept manager that as long as its in new condition i can return it within 60 days.

what are the tests that you guys use when evaluating a unit?

i wouldn't mind getting both and doing a comparison for you guys if you give me the tests to run. i think it would be interesting.

It's pretty simple. Just get a reflective and non-reflective target that is the size of what you want to range.

Set them at various ranges and see what the max you can reliably get with each is.

You will also need some reliable, verified way to determine what the true range to each target is (GPS, etc) so you can tell if you are getting true results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's pretty simple. Just get a reflective and non-reflective target that is the size of what you want to range.

Set them at various ranges and see what the max you can reliably get with each is.

You will also need some reliable, verified way to determine what the true range to each target is (GPS, etc) so you can tell if you are getting true results. </div></div>

ok ill have to take a bunch of stuff with me, but i think i can do that. ill see if the local cabelas has them in stock.

would you say the Leica is worth the extra $200-250 over the bushnell? I would like to be able to reliably range steel plates at 1k. thats my "real world" goal for it.

I used the 1600 for quite a while now and it has been an excellent piece of gear. I don't really think its a fair comparison between the two.

Leica has been in the business of not only measuring systems but high quality optics for years where as bushnell does......

Not saying that the bushnell is a bad unit by any means, lots of members here have the Bushnell and it works well for them. I prefer the Leica for its size, optical quality, reliability, and dependability.

oh we have both units in stock...

Leica 1600

bushnell 1600

One thing I dont like about the leica is the slow response on long targets, much like a swaro
I like the glass in the leica, but for me the Bushnell has a larger field of view and is better in low light.

My bushnell elite 1600LRF monocular came in today..Its GTG. easily hit a parked truck at 1580 yards while holding offhand the first shot. and the conditions were light drizzling rain. The glass is decent and the readout is more than adequate. and the angle meter works good. For the price of it Im definitely impressed.

I went up to my local Cabelas and asked the guy behind the counter if we could step outside to test. He grabbed the Swaro and Leica 1600. I ended up buying the 1600 from a hide sponsor and love it. Very clear optics and I liked the compact size. Unfortunately I have not played with the Bushnell.

Update:

I have both units now. Ill be testing them at longer than 300yds tomorrow.

Initial impressions:

Leica - Pros
Light
Small, easy to pocket
Nice Glass
Excellent Reticle Brightness
Excellent Repeatability to 300yds

Leica - Cons
Small, hard to hold steady
Doesn't come with a tripod adapter

Bushnell - Pros
Light for its size
Good field of view
Excellent Repeatability to 300yds

Bushnell - Cons
Cant put it in your pocket
Reticle brightness, even when all the way up (on setting #4) is still not great

Honestly, in daylight at 430p CST the glass at 300yds is better on the leica. the operating time for each range is about the same.

Is there anything in particular that you guys want to see tested? if not, im just planning on trying each of the units out at different ranges, and seeing which ones are consistent and how their glass looks, and how long they take to range.

Raider

I'm betting that you'll find from 900+ the Bushnell will out perform the Leica in ranging.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Raider

I'm betting that you'll find from 900+ the Bushnell will out perform the Leica in ranging. </div></div>

thats what im hoping to find out, is there a reason that you think that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider1v1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Raider

I'm betting that you'll find from 900+ the Bushnell will out perform the Leica in ranging. </div></div>

thats what im hoping to find out, is there a reason that you think that? </div></div>

I think that because I've owned the Swavorski, Leica, and Bushnell 1600 ARC Elite...

I'm VERY curious to see how the new Leica 1600-B will compare, and if they've fixed the issues that so many of the CRF 1600 (non B) units had.

I was very disappointed when it couldn't range a road sign at 40 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have not had a chance to test them head to head. The Leica I have now is the LRF1200 and the Bushnell blows it away. The Leica CRF1600 would be a better comparison but I do not have one on hand. I may try to borrow one soon. </div></div>

Someone posted at one point that the laser diode in the 1600CRF appeared to be the same as the 1200CFR, just pushed to it's extreme.

Alot of 1600CRF units were returned, and some vendors started to hand pick and return units that were not functioning as advertised.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KOTM-Direct</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went up to my local Cabelas and asked the guy behind the counter if we could step outside to test. He grabbed the Swaro and Leica 1600. I ended up buying the 1600 from a hide sponsor and love it. Very clear optics and I liked the compact size. Unfortunately I have not played with the Bushnell. </div></div>

The glass on the Leica is awesome, as is the Swarovski... the Bushnell works better, generally.

I would rather have the Leica, but the one I got just did not perform... when using the tripod adapter... but that glass IS superior on the Leica.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider1v1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Raider

thats what im hoping to find out, is there a reason that you think that?</div></div>

I've owned the Leica 1600 CRF, Leica 1200 Scan RF, Leica Geovids and the Bushnell Fusion 1600 Bino's. Out of the stuff listed, I only still own the Bushnell Fusion's.

I'm a Leica fan, so much that my dog's name is Leica. I still have my Ultravid's and the Leica glass is better than the Bushnell glass, but as far as rangefinding the Bushnell won hands down.

any tips on how to range long distance w/ the leica w/o the tripod adapter? just rest it on the truck or some other stationary surface? that really does kind of make me mad that something that costs that much they charge you $99 for the adapter to tripod mount it.

how are you supposed to range something 1600 yds away holding it in your hands?

update on night ranging.

bushnell - almost impossible to range anything at night with the brightness on 4. the red LED glow completely overtakes the entire viewfinder. to use it at night, just turn the brightness down to 1, and then you are set to go. At night though, you definitely can see the glass is just not as good as the leica

leica - actually useable at night with just a little glare. clearly better glass in the leica vs the bushnell

i was ranging a beige building that was reportedly 427yds away. both units gave the same reading each time and were 1yd away from each other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider1v1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">update on night ranging.

bushnell - almost impossible to range anything at night. the red LED glow completely overtakes the entire viewfinder. the glass is noticeably worse than the leica

leica - actually useable at night with just a little glare. clearly better glass in the leica vs the bushnell

i was ranging a beige building that was reportedly 427yds away. both units gave the same reading each time and were 1yd away from each other. </div></div>

Yeah, that does sound about right.

Getting the Leica to range find is bright daylight is a PITA. I've used a tripod with both the Bushnell and the Leica, and in broad daylight, it just doesn't pickup large objects at great distances.

Now, interestingly, they all see to have their peculuarities. (sp)

I wast having a hell of a time getting the Bushnell to range a 1630+ yard target. Then I noticed that the area around me was all bright white rock, so I moved to the edge of the roof and poof... worked without issue.

The Leica wouldn't do it.

The Swarovski beam divergence wouldn't get between two fairly parted trees.

Of course, the glass is better on the later two (by far), and I think the information the Leica returns may be more useful.

I'm very disappointed with the Swarovski as it has no features at all compared to the other two.

...and the bullistic calculators to either the Bushnell or the Leica pretty much are not really useful in general terms.

I always use a tripod, and I have gotten over 2200 yards with the Bushnell... but that was a treeline, not a small target.

I have ranged at night with no problems using my bushy mono 1600, over 1000 yards... Turned the brightness to 1 & bingo.

Then again, I can range in the day with it too, a feat some can't seem to accomplish as they can't see?? the display...

Makes a guy wonder if people actually understand how to use the device and its features, or if they're just looking for reasons to be disappointed.

If you buy the Bushnell and don't like it, Bushnell will give you a full refund within a year, period, that gives you a good amount of time to decide it doesn't work.

We found the Leica laid on top of the Bushnell was a good way to get it pretty steady since we didn’t have the adapter.

If anyone has any particular questions, but I’ll just put down what we did and what our impressions were.

We were testing between 1230 and 230 during bright sunshine and it was a bit cloudy as well for a while. We were ranging the same targets one after the other alternating between the Bushnell and the Leica. The Leica was laying on top of the Bushnell. The bushel was mounted to a tripod. To ‘confirm’ a distance we shot each target three times and then compared each units readings.

Glass - by far the Leica was better. This wasn’t a surprise, but for my friend who was out with me, he was quite surprised to see the difference between the two. The specific difference wasn’t in the sharpness, just the brightness. It seemed the Bushnell was just darker. Not hard to see things, just darker vs. the Leica.

Tripod - The Bushnell wins here due to the face that it has a built in stud vs. the adapter that is needed by Leica.

Speed of ranging - the Leica wins here slightly, about .25/.5 of a second. Nothing major, just slightly noticeable. It was faster when it would decide to range.

Ease of ranging - The Bushnell wins here. Whoever said that beyond 900+ the Bushnell would win was right. Out to 890-ish they both would pop a range back instantly. We were attempting to range a house at 1350 and out of 5 attempts the Bushnell ranged it 4 times. The Leica was much more finicky and would only read it back once. The same pattern occurred when we tried to range other long range objects such as trees, tree lines, barns, and combines. The Leica would pop the distance right up, if it thought you had done everything correctly.

Accuracy - I didn’t have a GPS with me to verify, but they both reported the same distance or were +/- 1yd of each other. I’d call that a draw

Repeatability of Ranging – Both of the units gave consistent readings as long as we were shooting the same area. I’d give it a draw in this category as well

Extra features – The Leica did have the nice features of some bullet drop compensation, as did the Bushnell. The problem is that you can’t calibrate it. It’s just a pick form exiting curves. While I’m sure it’s helpful to some, I think that we would probably all go with an application like shooter or the like.

The Leica did have the nice built in angle, temp, and pressure. I think that would be handy, but for a price difference of $400, I’d rather just get a kestrel 4500 and keep the extra $100.

Final thoughts on it. I think that I’m going to go with the Bushnell. The core ability to “be a rangefinder” was definitely just better with the Bushnell. The Leica’s strong points were the display and the glass, but it’s a rangefinder, not a scope. If it is difficult to use and hard to get a reading what’s the point?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider1v1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">update on night ranging.

bushnell - almost impossible to range anything at night. the red LED glow completely overtakes the entire viewfinder.</div></div>

Which brightness setting were you using? You DO know you can adjust it. Right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider1v1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">update on night ranging.

bushnell - almost impossible to range anything at night. the red LED glow completely overtakes the entire viewfinder.</div></div>

Which brightness setting were you using? You DO know you can adjust it. Right? </div></div>

it was on 4. i redid it last night after they said they adjusted it down and it was just fine. i went up and edited my post. i think they would both work just fine at night.

was there anything else that you would want to find out specifically between the two of them before I take them back to the store?

Nope, but I think we all appreciate the input.

Really the only place that I see a big difference between the two is size. The Leica would fit in a pocket real well. The Bushnell, not so much.

I really want to see what the Leica 1600-B CRF will bring to the table.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GBMaryland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really want to see what the Leica 1600-B CRF will bring to the table. </div></div>

When that comes out, i wouldn't mind picking one up and doing a comparison.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope, but I think we all appreciate the input.

Really the only place that I see a big difference between the two is size. The Leica would fit in a pocket real well. The Bushnell, not so much. </div></div>

yah thats a definite point. The thing that I ask people when they tell is if that if you are going to be shooing that far, you are going to have a tripod and lots of other gear, at least I assume you would.

The only thing that I would be able to see if if you wanted a hunting sized unit that you would be able to pocket, and have a farther "guaranteed range". That would be for ranges inside 800yds though, beyond that you are really going to need some kind of support. It may be a tree, tripod, or something, but we just couldn't free-range anything past that, that wasn't a house sized object.

Good work here Raider...helps guys like me get better gear for our dollars...I like that.

Been a Leica fan for a long time but Bushnell is really working on their products. I'm looking pretty hard at a pair of 12x50 Fusions for my next RF purchase.

For anyone needing a good way to use the Leica or other gear with a tripod you can get one of these from Hide member Platypus at PrecisionRifleSolutions.com

lrfcradle2.jpg

You can also use it for a lot of binoculars and he is making his own heavy duty QD plates now.

DSC_0171.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good work here Raider...helps guys like me get better gear for our dollars...I like that.

Been a Leica fan for a long time but Bushnell is really working on their products. I'm looking pretty hard at a pair of 12x50 Fusions for my next RF purchase. </div></div>

thanks, i was hoping that i would be able to help some people out on here, after all the work and info they have posted.

about the fusions, from what i found by calling bushnell

1. some people report a slight blue tint, some notice it, some dont.

2. same RF module in the elite 1600.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider1v1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">does the leica work better, or have a longer distance? i dont mind spending a bit more to get one that ranges further.

that said, i am not interesting in spending to the level of the vectronix (even though they are really nice)</div></div>
NO... the bushnell is way better...

Ill be getting the bushnell after reading the last review of the lieca

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For anyone needing a good way to use the Leica or other gear with a tripod you can get one of these from Hide member Platypus at PrecisionRifleSolutions.com

You can also use it for a lot of binoculars and he is making his own heavy duty QD plates now.

DSC_0171.JPG
</div></div>
+1: been using it with Bushnell Fusion bino to great satisfaction. Great guys making great products.

Leica and Bushnell
i own the bushy, buddy has the leica

desert training last weekend in mohave

we ranged several rocks standing next to one another

maximum range my 1600 read without bipod, but resting on truck door - 980yards

maximum range Leica same scenario, no bipod, even standing with no rest - 1980 yards

i used both, the Leica imo is worth the extra $
It ranges fast as well, no hold and wait like the bushy
If I could start with no equipment again, I would get the Leica.

buy once cry once

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opshin556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leica and Bushnell
desert training last weekend in mohave

we ranged several rocks standing next to one another

maximum range my 1600 read without bipod, but resting on truck door - 980yards

maximum range Leica same scenario, no bipod, even standing with no rest - 1980 yards
</div></div>

This is consistant with some of the information that I've reviewed... when the Leica works, it works well, and when it doesn't, it ranges horribly. (This goes back to the issue of some of the 1600CRFs not appearing to work well, and others working very well. Once you return your unit with an issue to Leica, it suddenly starts working as it should. I suspect this is why there is a 1600-B CRF coming out...)

I'll admit that my primary range tests were on the East Coast, under low humidity spring days, and high humidity summer days.

I'd love to have gotten my 1600CRF in the desert.

GB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opshin556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
maximum range my 1600 read without bipod, but resting on truck door - 980yards</div></div>

How old were your batteries?

I ask because I don't have any problem ranging 1000+ with the Elite 1600 even in the rain.

Yeah, I've not had a problem with the Bushnell reading 1600+ in clear air, zero humidity...

for the money my bushnell is fantastic.Thought about a swaro even the leica but money won out and I tried the bushy.I am continually amazed at its ranging. I would rather save the big bucks for a ranging binocular like the new swaros. at the rate technology changes our current rangefinders will be obsolete soon anyway.