• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leica CRF1600 or Bushnell Elite 1600 Rangfinder

Prairie Dog Dundee

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2002
Utah
I'm considering a new mid price range finder and these are the two I'm considering. The application is Rock Chuck/Prairie Dog hunting and shooting steel. How do these compare regarding ruggedness, quality, warranty and function. Is there something better in this price range I'm overlooking? Thanks for the input.

Re: Leica CRF1600 or Bushnell Elite 1600 Rangfinder

Never used the Bushnell, but I am impressed with my Leica 1600. I trust the quality of the brand more as well.

Though lots of guys seem impressed with the Bushnell Fusion binos.

I have the Leica and like the design and features...

PROBLEM
I think I have some user-error or factory-quality problem, as I just can't get it to range past 1000m... (on trees, deer, rocks etc).
Having spent the money on such a brandname and product, this has been a real source of bother for me.
Anyone else found the same?

Yes kiwi. Side by side against my old CRF1200 c/w old batteries and the 1200 performed better in range and speed. I returned the 1600 and am waiting for a replacement.

i have been impressed with both of the bushnell 1600's i have used, but not to impressed with the leica's. kind of apples/oranges though .

I have heard that some of the early 1600's had issues. If you can't get to 1,000, send it back. First, though, make sure that you are using it correctly. I have heard of some cupping the rangefinder because it is so small and have inadvertently blocked the laser or the detector. Also, make sure you hold it still while you press the button. You want a smooth button press just like a smooth trigger pull.

I have had no issue getting to 1,000 and have ranged a water tower standing at just under 2,000 yards.

What about the zeiss monocular? About the same price and ranges to 1300 yards.

I have the Bushnell Fusion 1600 and its a great unit.

Bushnell rangefinder technology is great for the price. I have ranged a water tower out to about 1700 yards and using google maps verified the result. There was a 10 yard difference, but at that scale who knows if i was even ranging the side of the water tower or the mid, which is probably about 10 yards in difference anyway.

Very impressed by their functioning.

+1 on the Bushnell Fusions. I was very skeptical at first, but I am so please I went with the Fusions. Having a LRF built into a bino is a very nice feature. The glass is ok, but not nearly equivalent to a $3k pair of Leica Geovids, however the LRF is amazing for the price. I've ranged steel targets to 1700 yards and larger objects to 1900+ yards.

If you want big and binos go with the Bushnell, if you want small and mainly range finding go with the Leica. I ultimately sold my Bushnell only because they were too bulky for what I needed.