• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

leica geovid 10*42

hiddenmongoose

crazysection
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2009
Ireland
I got a set of these at a very good price and sold my leica rangemaster 1200 as I wanted to cut down on carrying both a binos and a lrf.The old square rangemaster would range out to 800m for me very reliably and fairly well to 1000m ,I even ranged in the 1100m range on dull evenings.With the geovids though I find I can only range to 500m reliably in the day ,any bright light and I cant range further(sometimes not even beyond 300m),In dull evenings I can range to 1100m .The glass is very clear and sharp but Im just very disappointed with the lrf part.I use this for deer and goat hunting in the mountains and for fox shooting and for steel banging.Anyone else have these and disappointed ?

Which Geovid, HD-B or HD-R? I think there is a pretty big difference in the LRF performance between the two. I would be pretty surprised if the HD-B could only get out to 500m on a sunny day. The Geovid HD-B should be able to get pretty reliable readings for 1200m or less in sunny conditions. Obviously, it depends on the target. See the blog entry on a review of the HD-B. It will also provide links to other ranging stuff.

Leica Geovid HD-B Review | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Which Geovid, HD-B or HD-R? I think there is a pretty big difference in the LRF performance between the two. I would be pretty surprised if the HD-B could only get out to 500m on a sunny day. The Geovid HD-B should be able to get pretty reliable readings for 1200m or less in sunny conditions. Obviously, it depends on the target. See the blog entry on a review of the HD-B. It will also provide links to other ranging stuff.

Leica Geovid HD-B Review | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

I think he might be talking about the original Geovids. Pre-HDB/R

I think the geovids are the best bino out there, I've had my 10x42s for 5 years and love them for all my hunting needs... That said the ranging capabilities are less than impressive, for hunting big game they are fine for me I don't shoot past 300yds.

For coyote and shooting steel I grab my terrapin and throw it in my pocket, I got so sick of walking half way to a steel target and ranging both ways and adding them up, or not getting anything back on coyotes.

Sounds like it.

I have a pair of those. Glass is magnificent as you'd expect from Leica. Range finding capability however smokes pole beyond 300-400yds unless you're ranging something like a house or huge dirt berm. Mine are useless for ranging target size objects beyond 400yds.

Yes Im on about the original,I got a good deal and didnt research them enough before I bought.Very good glass but soo dissapointed in the lrf.I think il sell them after this season and buy the new version.

I have a pair that was doing exactly the same thing. I sent them back to Leica and they replaced them under warranty. The new ones range to about 1K in any conditions, and out to 1,400 if everything is just right. Mine are the HD model.

I have been researching the Leica Geovid - the HD-B sounds like a nice option for hunting. Sort of a do-it-all. I am curious if there are any impressions from owners on the HD-B as far as practical use for hunting inside 1000 yards.

If I were looking for RF binos I'd be considering the new Steiners. I've read very favorable reviews of the LRF capabilities.

The only LR binos I'd buy that are worth a shit in terms of laser ranging cababilitys say Vector on them. You ever wonder why leicas are the same price weather you get a range finder in them or not? It's cause you ain't paying for a range finder and okay glass, you are paying for top shelf glass with a nice extra feature of having a range finder in them.

The only LR binos I'd buy that are worth a shit in terms of laser ranging cababilitys say Vector on them. You ever wonder why leicas are the same price weather you get a range finder in them or not? It's cause you ain't paying for a range finder and okay glass, you are paying for top shelf glass with a nice extra feature of having a range finder in them.

I hear you on this one. I've debating on selling/trading my Vector IV to get something much "smaller" Like the Swaro EL Range or the Leica Geovids, but keep reading reviews that make me stay away from them. Plus the price, like you stated, is damn near the same if you get the RF in them or not.

Wow, can't believe the comments here on the geovids.
I've had them all except the latest hd-bs....had the non-hd geovid, Zeiss 10x45 rf, Swaro el range, hd geovid.
They have all been good, but the geovid hd-y seems to be the best to me. My range finding has always been spot on for even the smallest targets--always spot on.
The only pair I had that disappointed was the Swaro el range, they were finicky on close objects.

I have the 10x hd and ranging past 500 on sunny days is very dissapointing for that kind of money. Sent them back once and it got a little better but it is frustrating when my buddy's bushnell bino rangefinder is getting past 1k on pretty much everything for $1500 less. Leica glass is awesome but the rangefinder is not all that great.

I get 1300 yds. The target reflection is critical.How many of the disappointed Leica owners shoot 1k yds? They are the best binoculars I have used. The ranging is bonus. I have Terrapin.

I shoot 1k pretty frequently, I also have a terrapin, but when a product doesn't range to half of what is advertised regularly, it is pretty annoying for that kind of money. They should be advertised and sold as 800 yard rangefinder with great glass

My Leica HD-Bs have no problem ranging to 1000 yards in bright sun, and typically out to the full 2000 yards in the same conditions isn't an issue. The HD-B also have a full ballistics computer complete with environmental/angle compensation with custom drop tables. If you point the HD-B at a target under 1000 yards it will give you an accurate drop that will put the bullet on the target if your drop table is accurate and you get the wind call right. No need to juggle binocs, LRF and then drop table/ballistic computer. The HD-B does it all in one shot. The HD-B drop calculation matches my Ballistic AE iPhone app out to 1000 yards (the limit of the HD-B). I don't even pull out the ballistic app or check a drop table, I will just use the HD-B.

I have no input on the older versions, but don't discount the HD-B based on older models. I would have no problem trusting the HD-Bs to range to 1000k yards consistently in bright sun. Even in the rain I find they have accurate ranging.

Last edited:
I also have a pair of the non-HD Geovids in 10x42.
I was Antelope hunting and noticed I could not get accurate ranges over about 400 yards.
Pissed to say the least. Sat in the truck bemoaning how stupid I was for spending all that money on a combo pair and noticed the laser was filthy. A little lens pen action and they were stretching out past 1000 yards.
I really like mine and I like them a whole lot better when they work well.
Try cleaning them and if that does not work, send them in.

Last edited:
I am very happy with my Bushnell 1 miles. Peek through them if you get a chance. i doubt you see much of a difference between them and what you can get for 2x the price.

I've been running the HD-B's for about six months(8X42's). I really like them. The ballistic turret program it offers is awesome, and works perfect for shot angle, elevation changes, temp changes. I can't believe more people aren't running them. No more range cards, Kestrels etc...

Not sure whether there was an update to the software, but originally with the HD-B's you entered the altitude which restricted their use to that altitude. I hunt in Texas (<1000' altitude) and Utah/Colorado (>8000') last year. That was my only complaint.

You still have to change/reprogram the micro SD card for different guns, but they are nice. I have used them elk/mule deer hunting the last 2 years and they have worked well. One piece of gear that does a whole lot.