• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leica Geovid HD-B Ballistic Solution: What's wrong?

markspring1978

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2009
Central Montana
I have been looking at picking up a pair of the Leica HD-B binos. Thus far, these have been getting great reviews. I have the standard Geovids, which are awesome. The new Geovid looks great on paper, real-time atmospheric readings, slope correction, and a G7 drag model, what's not to like, right? According to Leica, you can download your custom load profile onto a Micro SD which you insert into the binos and, viola, you should be able to have a very accurate dope for your target. Well, I went to the Leica site to check out the calculator, (G7 Flash Ballistics) and I am getting radically different dope with the Leica site versus my Ballistic AE app on my iPhone.

I'm wondering if anyone else is using these and what other experiences might be out there. Maybe I'm entering something incorrectly but, I have tried a couple of different profiles, all with the same result.

Nope we all got the Bushnell 1 miles and the Kestrel AB version for half what you paid and are twice as happy since we can measure wind as well.

Hmm, got my hands on one of these to look through. They were absolutely impressive glass, and they have improved the rangefinder from what I understand. Of course there was nothing wrong with Leica's rangefinder capabilities in the past either.

Didn't get to deal with the card or do any data input so I can't state an opinion. I'd be hard pressed to believe Leica hasn't covered their bases with this piece!!

On the Leica site you are not entering the altitude, temperature, or pressure.
When you place the SD card in your leica binocular it will calculate given measured data, and thus a more accurate drop chart.
I put in some numbers for my 6.5CM just to play with it on the website, and came up with numbers that were in the ballpark.
At 1000 yards my data (Shooter) gave 25.9 MOA vs Leica website (absent data) giving 29.7 MOA.
If the numbers on the website were calculated at sea level this alone would explain the difference (I'm at 6000 ft).
Interestingly, only drop in MOA and inches are on the website - no mils.